Sushi chef deba usage

Drewski

Sushi chef deba usage

Post by Drewski »

Came across this short doc today about sushi Chef Shuion Uino. Clips (especially in the first half) of him using a deba to prepare his fish were fun to watch. I'm sure pretty standard for those who regularly use a deba though.

https://youtu.be/W9p1xiET7dc
Altadan

Re: Sushi chef deba usage

Post by Altadan »

I find these documentaries so fascinating, because... well, Japan is just so.. far? strange? Foreign?
Whatever it is, I like it.
Thanks for sharing
Dan
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
old onion

Post by old onion »

That was very interesting.I enjoyed the video.I have never been to a Sushi bar/restaurant though I have just discovered one just 6 miles from the house and never knew it was there.Not sure if I would embarrass myself since I don't know the right things to do or the proper way to eat Sushi.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

old onion wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:37 am That was very interesting.I enjoyed the video.I have never been to a Sushi bar/restaurant though I have just discovered one just 6 miles from the house and never knew it was there.Not sure if I would embarrass myself since I don't know the right things to do or the proper way to eat Sushi.
I used to worry about that as well. You'll have a little bowl that is for putting soya sauce into to dip the sushi into if you want. I also add a bit of wasabi into the soya sauce and mix it around, I like the kick. The sashimi selection is just bunks of seafood that I eat with chopsticks. The nigiri is seafood on a little rice ball. The rolls are rolls. I eat the nigiri and rolls with my hands, way safer and I believe still acceptable. If it's your first time, get a variety of rolls and some nigiri. Go with friends and share a bunch. It's fun!

Disclaimer: I am from Winnipeg and don't know the actual rules of ordering and eating sushi.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Drewski wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:49 am
old onion wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:37 am That was very interesting.I enjoyed the video.I have never been to a Sushi bar/restaurant though I have just discovered one just 6 miles from the house and never knew it was there.Not sure if I would embarrass myself since I don't know the right things to do or the proper way to eat Sushi.
I used to worry about that as well. You'll have a little bowl that is for putting soya sauce into to dip the sushi into if you want. I also add a bit of wasabi into the soya sauce and mix it around, I like the kick. The sashimi selection is just bunks of seafood that I eat with chopsticks. The nigiri is seafood on a little rice ball. The rolls are rolls. I eat the nigiri and rolls with my hands, way safer and I believe still acceptable. If it's your first time, get a variety of rolls and some nigiri. Go with friends and share a bunch. It's fun!

Disclaimer: I am from Winnipeg and don't know the actual rules of ordering and eating sushi.
Thanks Drew.After that I just may have to get up the nerve and try it.
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

I do feel blessed to have started out with japanese cuisine. Although it is its own world for sure, sometimes I feel like im behind as far as the traditional french chefs goes. Really nice vid though.