WIP 1095 Western Honyaki Sujihiki

Jakeonthekob

WIP 1095 Western Honyaki Sujihiki

Post by Jakeonthekob »

Here's the latest that I've been working on, being inspired by another forum member's acquisition of a honyaki sujihiki. I am working with 1095 1/8" stock. Blade length should be 11" or about 280mm with the handle being a little over 5.5". It is surprisingly flexible so far and I ground it pretty thin. Just gotta work on the polish and get a handle on there. I am planning on using black G10 with maple burl bolster.

Thanks for looking!

-Jake
Bensbites

Re: WIP 1095 Western Honyaki Sujihiki

Post by Bensbites »

Nice looking work!
Jakeonthekob

Post by Jakeonthekob »

Finished this knife. There are various issues with this knife such as F&F on the handle and some wood chipping out on the saya. Able to take a pretty refined edge, just gotta see how the retention is.

It is a lot lighter than I originally wanted, with the balance point being slightly behind the bolster but it's laser thin and comfy in a pointer grip. Handle is made from maple burl and padauk with silver nickel pins and one brass pin. Saya is made from birch.

Last edited by Jakeonthekob on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ckreef

Post by ckreef »

Don't be too critical with yourself. That's a fine looking knife most of us would be proud to own.
cjmeik

Post by cjmeik »

Even prouder to have made it!
Jakeonthekob

Post by Jakeonthekob »

Thank you guys. I am still having lots of fun with the whole process, I guess I am getting ahead of myself thinking I will turn out a perfect knife from the get go. I will try a second go at this design, plus a few outdoor style knives.