Polishing and Metallurgical Effects

Jakeonthekob

Polishing and Metallurgical Effects

Post by Jakeonthekob »

I was messing around with polishing my yanagiba and came across some cool metallurgical effects in the iron (prob banding of some sort). Used my Ohira suita and Blue #2 yanagiba.

Anyone else come across some cool surface details while polishing their knife/plane/chisels?
Altadan

Re: Polishing and Metallurgical Effects

Post by Altadan »

Jakeonthekob wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:17 pm I was messing around with polishing my yanagiba and came across some cool metallurgical effects in the iron (prob banding of some sort). Used my Ohira suita and Blue #2 yanagiba.

Anyone else come across some cool surface details while polishing their knife/plane/chisels?
You'll probably enjoy reading this thread from the beginning ;)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
salemj

Post by salemj »

Interesting. I noticed some fun effects in an Ikeda KS clone I own. It is a reactive damascus, but I'm guessing it has a lot of nickel in it or something. I don't have current pictures, but it takes a very unique kind of shine/polish at certain grits. It is almost like a sparkle. It doesn't bring out the damascus so much as it makes the surface look like it has an armour plating almost. It disappears with use or with changes in polish level, but comes back, too. It cannot be unique to this knife, but it is one of the few knives I've come across that has this property.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
nakiriknaifuwaifu

Post by nakiriknaifuwaifu »

Jakeonthekob wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:17 pm I was messing around with polishing my yanagiba and came across some cool metallurgical effects in the iron (prob banding of some sort). Used my Ohira suita and Blue #2 yanagiba.

That's a really smooth job. I am a sucker for banding, just need to get over the stainless cladding fixation.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I'm not sure of this but this may be an example of niori.

---
Ken