Kohetsu 210mm HAP 40, light touch up but becoming a favorite

Bullman

Kohetsu 210mm HAP 40, light touch up but becoming a favorite

Post by Bullman »

Always loved the HAP40 on my pocket knives and now my chef knives. Sharpens well and holds a good edge. Did 3 medium cantaloupe last night and she slid right through it without issue. Great knife. Impeccable
20170616_115510_HDR-1.jpg
service by CKTG.
Chefcallari

Re: Kohetsu 210mm HAP 40, light touch up but becoming a favorite

Post by Chefcallari »

I got one in 240 for a fathers day gift from my wife... Its ridiculously underrated... It is a beast. In a pro setting Its just flat out a beast.
Bullman

Post by Bullman »

I just did a load of tomatoes with mine and your right very underrated. Cuts beautifully
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Love mine. 240 tho. Re-handled ( I do all my knives :) ) Polishing the blade now. This is going to take some time. Oh well. My preference.

Bullman

Post by Bullman »

Those are stunning beyond words
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

nevrknow wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:50 pm Love mine. 240 tho. Re-handled ( I do all my knives :) ) Polishing the blade now. This is going to take some time. Oh well. My preference.

I too have a 210mm hap40 wa style. But you know what i noticed by watching the western vid? The western hap40s have a much more flat profile than the wa counterpart. I would love the western handled blade with a wa handle but I don't think you can re handle that western handle one. the bolster or w/e looks part of blade? anyone have any knowledge on this?
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

When you say flat profile do you mean the blade edge? If so a good coarse stone can make it as flat as you want. Just takes some work and since you have one you should know this is a tough steel but can be done. I have done the same thing with several blades. Some have had a slight "gap" in the belly I have taken out to make flatter. Not really a problem if you know how to sharpen. Do you? I'm not trying to be funny just asking. If you do great! If not, you have come to the right place :)

As far as the handle goes of course you can re-handle the western version. I do not have one but yes the bolster does look integral to the blade. Questions do arise tho. Do you want to keep the bolster and adapt a wa handle to it with the bolster in place? ( Which looks nice if done properly ) You can leave the bolster and grind down the tang to make it "fit" a wa handle.

Or grind away and polish the bolster area and "force" it to be a wa handle tang and retro fit it.

Is it worth the trouble to alter it? That would be up to you. If you prefer the other profile and have the skills ( or know someone who does ) and can make it work the way you want it to I would say go for it.
HalfBloodHobbit

Post by HalfBloodHobbit »

Probably one of the best options for a line knife, particularly the western handled Kohetsus. HAP40 isn't technically stainless but it won't pit at all, just minor surface oxidation if you leave it out on a board without cleaning/drying.