Restoring a "well used" Shun

sight

Restoring a "well used" Shun

Post by sight »

I have been asking friends and family for knives to practice my sharpening skills on. I was given this poor poor shun. In the end I thinned, redid the edge and refinished the handle. I thought it turned out really nice! I didn't have enough time to clean up all the face scratches from thinning though.
SteveG

Re: Restoring a "well used" Shun

Post by SteveG »

Really nice job on that knife!
sight

Post by sight »

I was unsure how to fix such a big tip break. Others have said I should have taken more off the spine so the blade would not have to be raised so much to use the tip; I split the material removal between the spine and blade.

I was also not sure the best way to take pictures for the before and after. I think I might try to 'tape' my jeweler loop onto my cell phone camera to try and get edge shot.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Yeah, it really boils down to what you want to do with the edge profile. Reshaping almost exclusively from the spine allows you to keep the profile intact, but that might not be optimal for every user. As long as you're OK with the resulting profile at the tip, splitting the difference isn't necessarily a bad thing. Hey, you'll be able to rock that blade higher now :-).
sight

Post by sight »

Honestly, I was really happy with the final result. The knife is a family friends and it will be neglected after I hand it back to them; but while it lasted it was fun!
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

It's always nice to practice tip and chip repairs on family/friends knives first, so you have some experience when you accidentally tip one of your own knives :-). Well done. I'll bet they will be impressed with the repairs.
mchltylr

Post by mchltylr »

Yes I would say that's well used
Organic

Post by Organic »

Nice job on the repair. By the looks of how it was treated, you'll be seeing it again soon in need of additional repairs.