I made a bunka! WIP

Jakeonthekob

I made a bunka! WIP

Post by Jakeonthekob »

It's been a while so here's a WIP. I made a bunka from some left over 1084 steel. I just did a quick 120 rough polish, etched and sharpened to see what it's like. I will update when I make a handle and saya.

Hamon came out a little funky towards the tip but is otherwise fairly clean. I did get a very light surface crack though from a clay explosion when quenching, but it's extremely shallow towards the spine so knife is still usable. The grind is a very shallow compound grind and right behind the edge is thin but I made is slightly thicker behind the edge to help lessen sticking. We'll see if that actually does anything haha.

Last edited by Jakeonthekob on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thezep

Re: I made a bunka! WIP

Post by Thezep »

Pictures aren't working for me =-(
Jakeonthekob

Post by Jakeonthekob »

Ok, I put in imgur links so should be better. Anyone know any good free sites that'll allow 3rd party hosting?
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

looks pretty good to me! Did you use water to quench? I think you can use some preheated oil with 1084 and it's not as stressful. I'm really curious to see how that hamon would turn out with a higher polish.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

That looks quite nice, excellent job!

I like imgur for photo hosting. When you click on the individual photo from the list of all your photos, there are copy links you can use with bbcode already included to embed the pics on forums.