200 mm gyuto (or 8 inch chef's knife in MURICAN)

milkbaby

200 mm gyuto (or 8 inch chef's knife in MURICAN)

Post by milkbaby »

I was gonna post a lot of WIP pics but I've been working on this knife a little at a time on and off forever and am just happy to be done. So I'll just spam y'all with the all done pics.

The specs... 200 mm or 8 inch monosteel blade, 15N20 high carbon steel about HRc 61-62, full height convex grind slightly right hand biased, about 0.090" spine at the handle with very slight distal taper, dyed box elder burl and wenge wood handle with brass and red G10 bits. The saya is laminated construction of black walnut with basswood as the soft inner spacer. I have no idea what wood the saya pin is but guessing most likely birch.

This is definitely the best knife I've made yet, so I'm pretty darn happy. But I also know that I have a lot of room to improve and make even better knives in the future. Probably will upgrade my grinder and heat treating set up when I move into a place where I can have a proper workshop. Even though I prefer carbon steel, I want to play with stainless steel for people who won't take care of carbon steel.

Obligatory choil pic:

Coke bottle western handle which turned out better than expected. Flattish top side tapering down to a rounded oval bottom side.

Bonus pics. It's funny how different wood can look depending on how the lighting is. Below pics show the saya in direct sunlight (I hadn't tethered the saya pin yet) and in indirect sunlight.

Kit Craft

Re: 200 mm gyuto (or 8 inch chef's knife in MURICAN)

Post by Kit Craft »

I really do love it when you post knives that you have made. Most of the time not a blade shape I am in to. But I dig them, a lot. I can not put my finger on it. Maybe it is that you express your emotion in your product. I do enjoy when you share, that is for sure.

Anyway, the handle is nice. The saya is wicked. And I love the finish on the blade. That grind looks nice too!
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Wow.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Dang man this is a niiice looking knife! I like the whole package looks fantastic!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I love the rustic finish on that knife!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

Thank you all for your kind words, they are very encouraging! :)

Kit, it's very true that making knives is a method of expression for me. Probably equal parts craftsmanship and artistry as I want to make the best tool that I can while at the same time making something beautiful to me. That's also part of why I don't take commissions as I only want to make what I like.

One last photo that I just took before sending this away. Neutral balance:
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Beautiful!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

milkbaby wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:23 pm Thank you all for your kind words, they are very encouraging! :)

Kit, it's very true that making knives is a method of expression for me. Probably equal parts craftsmanship and artistry as I want to make the best tool that I can while at the same time making something beautiful to me. That's also part of why I don't take commissions as I only want to make what I like.

One last photo that I just took before sending this away. Neutral balance:
That is a great way to go about it. :)
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I bet that balance point really gives that knife a nimble feel.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I just have to look at this knife everyday. :) Seriously, I can not wait to see the next one you make!
old onion

Post by old onion »

Beautiful,absolutely beautiful. True Art.