Review Time!!

arthurfowler

Review Time!!

Post by arthurfowler »

Hi all

I rotate a set of knives each week at home. Each set contains 2 Gyuto, 1 Suji, 1 Nakiri, 1 Petty and 1 Parer. I also have a couple of project knives in there that I don't currently rotate. Some knives I have gelled with and some I haven't and now is the time for the first formal review!! Most will stay but some will go to make room for some other knives on the wishlist.

Best

Gareth
Jeff B

Re: Review Time!!

Post by Jeff B »

Holy shit Gareth, that's some collection!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Thanks Jeff

It’s taken a few years and the wife has become somewhat tougher!!!

They all get used albeit I am only a home cook now so they are not used heavily but 6 sets is enough. Being from the UK I have toyed with having a European set hence the Dalman. I did also consider having a Honyaki set in time but I am not sure whether I would get significantly more enjoyment out of them in relation to the cost increase.

Just finalising the keepers vs the maybe’s vs the will be on BST shortly!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Looking forward to seeing what you might be letting go of. I have several very nice knives for a home cook and have whittled the collection to just under 20 knives, and plan to part with a few more soon, as I try to acquire a few more much higher end than I have now. I'm at the point where my buying and selling is more about just a want to try new toys, some collecting, and no longer about need at all. I thought I had all I wanted or needed a couple years ago but the desire and curiosity of new and different knives has stared the revolving door for me.

The quest never ends!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Thanks Jeff

I agree that the quest never ends. I do sometimes contemplate having less knives but there are 3 key elements for me on why the number works for me. Firstly and most importantly I love the variety and the nuances between the different knives. Yes some do perform better than others but the differences between each knife is fascinating to me. Secondly I like the process of rotating from the weekly maintenance i.e. oiling and stropping/touching up the edge to the little smile when I realise that the Kato or the Toyama or the Kono is up next week and thats great. Thirdly I hope that they will last longer as the usage is less. They all get used and always will but rotating them should mean that they will last longer.

Here is the first short list of what changing. The top line are the definite keepers (for now), bottom left are the maybe's and bottom right are heading for BST.

This could change though!!

I think your point regarding upgrading is interesting. I do sometimes wonder whether I should upgrade certain knives with the same maker if the opportunity arises e.g. Tanaka Sekiso to an Ironwood R2 or the Takamura R2 to the Takamura Uchigumo etc I love both knives and recommend them completely but with a finite number of spaces, are you better upgrading to a smiths finest work or best materials etc. Food for thought!!
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Now i know how the dogs feel when i bring out the treats and they drool!
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Bob Z wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:48 pm Now i know how the dogs feel when i bring out the treats and they drool!
Ha Ha. Thanks Bob
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

When I mention upgrading to higher end knives it is more about the same thoughts you expressed. Experiencing "the variety and the nuances between the different knives." I'm not necessarily looking for "better" knives but want to compare what is considered to be those better knives to what I covet now. It's all about the experience now. I may Spend lots of money on a few very expensive knives only to turn around and sell them and rebuy what was already there. It's turned into a fascinating and very expensive hobby that I didn't expect.

I'll be watching the BST forum for your releases, you never know! ;)

Thank you for sharing your excellent collection!
marcel2006

Post by marcel2006 »

Bob Z wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:48 pm Now i know how the dogs feel when i bring out the treats and they drool!
lol. Same feeling here..
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

That's an excellent collection!
... my wife walked by and just said "oh no, stop looking"
Very interest in what you have to say about Dalman.
Also, does the KS still compete in such a lineup?
slobound

Post by slobound »

Wow! That’s a great collection!
-- Garrick
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Barashka wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:22 pm That's an excellent collection!
... my wife walked by and just said "oh no, stop looking"
Very interest in what you have to say about Dalman.
Also, does the KS still compete in such a lineup?
Thanks Barashka

The Dalman hasn’t had much board time yet. I bought it off a bst and the tip got lost during transit and also the saya string got cut and the knife got a little scuffed. I contacted Robin to see if he could make the repairs and re polish the blade which he did. He really was a pleasure to deal with. He commented that he doesn’t make his knives as thin as the one that I have. It really is a true laser.

Regarding the KS, I bought mine when they were readily available on CKTG. I didn’t gel with it to start with which was probably more due to the dimensions but I really like it now and it is definitely a keeper. I like the fact that it is almost 2 or 3 knives in one.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

slobound wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:48 pm Wow! That’s a great collection!
Thanks slobound
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

First round of the review is complete!! The biggest change in some ways is that I no longer rotate sets of knives which I now realise was holding me back by adding extra constraints. I now just group them by type and then make my way through them from start to finish as required and then start over again. It actually means that I have more variety (which I enjoy most) in the right places i.e. more gyutos as I use these most.

Knives that were sold: -
Hinoura Tamashii 270mm Suji
Koishi 240mm Gyuto
Mizuno Petty 150mm
Kikuichi Swedish Warikome 240mm Gyuto
Kurodori Ginsan 210mm Gyuto
Asai Tojinbo Damascus Parer 75mm
Sakai Takayuki Ginsan Damascus 270mm Suji
Yoshikazu Ikeda W2 Petty 135mm
Yoshikane SKD Parer 75mm
Masakage Yuki Parer 75mm

New Knives: -
Mr Itou R2 75mm Parer with Stag Horn handle
Sakai Jikko Akebono 240mm Gyuto
Yoshimune W1 240mm Gyuto with Custom Handle

Awaiting: -
Gesshin Uraku 270mm Yanagiba - Thanks CacahuateSommelier for the heads up!!

I really like the shape that my knives have taken now. However, I think I have 2 more Nakiri's than I would like but I don't know which ones to lose. I haven't gelled yet completely with the Shig, so that may be out. I have a Takeda gyuto so the nakiri may be at risk but I love my Takeda nakiri. The Shiro Kamo is definitely staying and I really like the Saji Ginsan. The Denka has to stay as even though I have had the blade straightened by Robin Dalman, the handle and knife are not perfectly aligned and therefore I would not be comfortable selling this. Maybe one for a new custom handle. This leaves the Watanabe, which I really like but I probably just prefer others. I will ponder some more, but the Shig and the Watanabe may be hitting the classifieds soon.

I am not sure whether I need 2 Kono Fuji Suji's. Will definitely keep the B2 but the W2 may go to make room for something else. I absolutely love the look of the Kurosaki Hammered R2 Petty with the corian handle but it is a bit meatier than I normally like for a petty. Finally I will change my Moritaka double bevel Deba for a single bevel Deba in time.

Thanks everyone who helped and thanks to all those that bought the knives.

Best

Gareth
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I'm assuming the Shig is the KU in the pic. What size is it?
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

It’s the 180mm but if I remember it is a bit shorter.