My first customed.

itsjun

My first customed.

Post by itsjun »

This is my first knife with a customed handle and also my first sujihiki . [Red brass spacer with ebony wood]
Sakai Kikumori 270mm White #2

I tried very hard to find reviews on this knife online but there isn't much for me to source.
Anyone has experience on this brand or this knife itself?
J david

Re: My first customed.

Post by J david »

First one like that I've seen. Very handsome indeed. Is the shinogi true or cosmetic?
itsjun

Post by itsjun »

J david wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:30 pm First one like that I've seen. Very handsome indeed. Is the shinogi true or cosmetic?
the line is real but it's not very protruding as it's a double bevel sujihiki
salemj

Post by salemj »

The knife (and handle) looks an awful like the old Konosuke Ginsan models of this type. I think you mentioned in the other thread that this was sharpened by Tanaka, and he's definitely done work for Konosuke as well. However, I remember most of those other blades being Yanagibas and K-tips, not sujis. Not entirely sure. I'll see if I can find an old post.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Found one:

https://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/kon ... t8684.html

Point being that if you search for Konosuke Fujiyama-type sujis made with Ginsan, you might find more reviews, and the performance and execution will likely be somewhat similar, although not identical.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Konosuke made a few handles like that, didn't they? It may not be custom, or rather might have been the originally intended handle.
itsjun

Post by itsjun »

salemj wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:51 pm Found one:

https://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/kon ... t8684.html

Point being that if you search for Konosuke Fujiyama-type sujis made with Ginsan, you might find more reviews, and the performance and execution will likely be somewhat similar, although not identical.
There's only 1 japanese knife shop in my country and most knife they import are with the default wa-handle thats made of wood and buffalo ferule.
But i guess it was the same handle style as the older kono series.
Thanks for the tip-off (:
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Kalaeb wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:57 pm Konosuke made a few handles like that, didn't they? It may not be custom, or rather might have been the originally intended handle.
They stoped using these about 3 years ago I think.
Konosuke made me a custom last year for a Genkai Takobiki.
I have always admired the design so wanted one for this special knife.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

It's a gorgeous handle that matches the aesthetic of the knife well, whether it's custom or semi-custom. Considering Konosuke contracts through the local woodworkers for handles and is in Sakai it wouldn't surprise me if this was an upgraded option offered by Kikumori commissioned through the same maker. I liked them when Konosuke was doing them and I think it was a well considered pairing.

Bernal carries Kukumori and if my recall serves has for a while. A coworker who has bought a handful of miscellaneous less commonly mentioned Sakai knives, foremost Jikko, and has something from them, I think a nakiri. I remember them all being beautiful executions of the Sakai style. Those guys are all so skilled or well trained and I think hold themselves and each other to very high standards.