Young Samurai Dreams of Sushi

Drewski

Re: Young Samurai Dreams of Sushi

Post by Drewski »

I took a sushi class from the "Father of Sushi in Winnipeg", Chef Sadao Ono, who opened and ran Winnipeg's first sushi restaurant for 24 years. He told us that basically all of the wasabi you get in a reasonably priced sushi place is made from a powder, and is not fresh wasabi. Fresh wasabi is actually one of the most expensive plants you can buy because of how difficult it is to grow. $160 per kilogram.

https://firstwefeast.com/eat/2014/09/re ... the-planet
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Hmm don’t blame you!!
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Drewski wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:57 pm I took a sushi class from the "Father of Sushi in Winnipeg", Chef Sadao Ono, who opened and ran Winnipeg's first sushi restaurant for 24 years. He told us that basically all of the wasabi you get in a reasonably priced sushi place is made from a powder, and is not fresh wasabi. Fresh wasabi is actually one of the most expensive plants you can buy because of how difficult it is to grow. $160 per kilogram.

https://firstwefeast.com/eat/2014/09/re ... the-planet
Hmmm... I've known about the rarity of the real wasabi root, and understand the prohibitive price...
but that just leads me to ask - what is it that restaurants do to make their wasabi not too nose-opening. The powder I've got really turns out with a good appearance and consistency (assuming you use the right amount of water).
But the flavor and effect is just too strong compared to anything I've ever had in a sushi place.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

You can get wasabi root at the local coop - it's expensive but worth it. I think it was $12/oz when I last got some
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

lsboogy wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:29 pm You can get wasabi root at the local coop - it's expensive but worth it. I think it was $12/oz when I last got some
the local co-op? I heard about such collaborations, but I'm not sure how to get in touch with one :roll:
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld