Stormbringer gyuto

milkbaby

Stormbringer gyuto

Post by milkbaby »

Technically, I'm not finished with this knife; the handle still needs the very final oil and waxing and the blade needs final sharpening. But I was pretty excited about how it's turned out.

I don't usually name my knives, but I was sharing a dark poorly lit work-in-progress pic on my social media and "Stormbringer" popped in my head when I was posting it. It's a wide bevel gyuto made from Alabama Damascus steel, blade is 245 mm long by 53 mm tall at the heel. The tip is very low with little belly/curve to the edge. I was inspired to try this low belly profile when I was profiling the edge and didn't want to waste more of the Damascus steel. I was inspired by Dakota Willison's gyuto profiles.

Wide bevel was inspired by looking at knives by Comet Knives (Trey), Fell Knives (Nicholas), and the Hinouras. Trey was very cool giving me some tips, and Nicholas had very encouraging words! This knife is an R&D project that I was planning to keep for myself, so I figured why not try new things because there's no customer to disappoint.

The handle woods are Honduran rosewood burl and yellow cedar burl. HRB is one of my favorite woods because it's just so beautifully chaotic. It's interesting how different the wood as well as the blade looks in different lighting. The final handle finish will be a little less glossy than in the pics here, planning on more of a pretty satin sheen. I find wood so beautiful it's kinda sad to cut them up and grind them away into smaller pieces sometimes, but oh well... Anyhow, thanks for looking!

I'm sad that these pics don't do a good job of showing just how absolutely bonkers this HRB is. Here's an earlier pic in full sunlight, obviously overexposed, but it does give an idea of the insane beauty of this wood. It's got the burl eyes towards the top of the handle and some nice curl towards the butt.

Bonus Honduran rosewood burl pics below. HRB is probably my favorite wood to collect. It's crazy and chaotic in a way that feels unique to me. Probably only rivaled by desert ironwood, but there's something mad about HRB versus DIW in my opinion...

Drewski

Re: Stormbringer gyuto

Post by Drewski »

Gorgeous work! Congrats!
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

Looks amazing and probably performs just as well. Great work!
J david

Post by J david »

One to be proud of for sure.
timos

Post by timos »

fantastic knife! You are not kidding about that HRB, I especially love that curl towards the end of the handle! I love that shot showing the profile of the handle!
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Beautiful handiwork! Wish I could see it in person, give it a whirl. Really nice work!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld