Shibata Kashima

Wmkid

Re: Shibata Kashima

Post by Wmkid »

I have to say I bought one of these based on your reviews... I really like it.. thank you 😃
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Tried the Kotetsu R-2 Battleship 195mm on sweet potatoes yesterday and it worked great. Low wedging and no cracking when halving them and cutting into batonnets for oven roasted "fries".
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

SteveG wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:01 pm Tried the Kotetsu R-2 Battleship 195mm on sweet potatoes yesterday and it worked great. Low wedging and no cracking when halving them and cutting into batonnets for oven roasted "fries".
I was waiting for that knife and almost cried when I saw just how ugly it is. :cry: It might be the best working knife in the world but I just can't do it. :lol:
timos

Post by timos »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:05 pm
SteveG wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:01 pm Tried the Kotetsu R-2 Battleship 195mm on sweet potatoes yesterday and it worked great. Low wedging and no cracking when halving them and cutting into batonnets for oven roasted "fries".
I was waiting for that knife and almost cried when I saw just how ugly it is. :cry: It might be the best working knife in the world but I just can't do it. :lol:
really hmm, i think its pretty appealing but would look alot better with a curvy western style handle ...it looks like a perfect size blade to me
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

In person, the tip reminds me of a hunting knife with a false edge/swedge on top. The angled top is dead flat, but there's an optical illusion in that it looks slightly curved sometimes like some hunting knives. I think it's the belly at the tip that does this.

One nice thing about the longer tip is it's extended taper. The very tip is REALLY thin, as is the grind at the edge. I need to do some side by side tests with my 175 Bunka...darn the luck :-).

@timos, this thing is WAY too light for a Yo handle, though that would look very cool.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

SteveG wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:18 pm In person, the tip reminds me of a hunting knife with a false edge/swedge on top. The angled top is dead flat, but there's an optical illusion in that it looks slightly curved sometimes like some hunting knives. I think it's the belly at the tip that does this.

One nice thing about the longer tip is it's extended taper. The very tip is REALLY thin, as is the grind at the edge. I need to do some side by side tests with my 175 Bunka...darn the luck :-).

@timos, this thing is WAY too light for a Yo handle, though that would look very cool.
You are making it worse. Now you are telling me that I would tip it in the first session. :lol:

I know, I know...I am weird. Maybe I am a simpleton but to this day my favorite knife to use is an FKH 180 gyuto.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

SteveG wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:18 pm @timos, this thing is WAY too light for a Yo handle, though that would look very cool.
I'm finding out - with the Kashima as well as the Kotetsu - the virtues of a forward weighted blade.

Especially in the case of the Kashima the forward weighting is extremely helpful. I suspect, given the gradual sweep from midsection to heel instead of a true flat spot, it's the forward weighting that is keeping me from over reliance on the heel section. Without the forward balance I suspect I'd have accordion cuts all over the place.

The Kashima is first and foremost a slice and glide or a slicer. If you set your mind to it you can chop but I don't find it to be the most natural of acts. Not that that's a problem given how really wonderfully this thing slices.

Anyway, back to my comment on Steve's comment on Tim's comment *grin* you I think you really would want to keep the weight forward to preserve and enhance the knife's natural tendendy to want to slice.

BUT -- just speculating here -- what about one of those hybrid Wa handles? Not sure what it's called but you use a Wa tang and mount the wood same as a Wa -- except the bottom of the wood is shaped like a pistol grip. I bet if you used a less dense wood like walnut someone might be able to pull it off while maintaining the right balance point and not straying too far from the desireable overall weight.

Just specualting here.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Robstreperous wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:00 pm
timos wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:51 pm really hmm, i think its pretty appealing but would look alot better with a curvy western style handle ...it looks like a perfect size blade to me
SteveG wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:18 pm @timos, this thing is WAY too light for a Yo handle, though that would look very cool.
I'm finding out - with the Kashima as well as the Kotetsu - the virtues of a forward weighted blade.

Especially in the case of the Kashima the forward weighting is extremely helpful. I suspect, given the gradual sweep from midsection to heel instead of a true flat spot, it's the forward weighting that is keeping me from over reliance on the heel section. Without the forward balance I suspect I'd have accordion cuts all over the place.

The Kashima is first and foremost a slice and glide or a slicer. If you set your mind to it you can chop but I don't find it to be the most natural of acts. Not that that's a problem given how really wonderfully this thing slices.

Anyway, back to my comment on Steve's comment on Tim's comment *grin* you I think you really would want to keep the weight forward to preserve and enhance the knife's natural tendendy to want to slice.

BUT -- just speculating here -- what about one of those hybrid Wa handles? Not sure what it's called but you use a Wa tang and mount the wood same as a Wa -- except the bottom of the wood is shaped like a pistol grip. I bet if you used a less dense wood like walnut someone might be able to pull it off while maintaining the right balance point and not straying too far from the desireable overall weight.

Just specualting here.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

timos wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:51 pm really hmm, i think its pretty appealing but would look alot better with a curvy western style handle ...it looks like a perfect size blade to me

For me the Kashima is first and foremost a slice and glide or a slicer. If you set your mind to it you can chop but I don't find that to be the most natural of acts. Not that that's a problem given how really wonderfully this thing slices.

Anyway, back to my comment on Steve's comment on Tim's comment *grin* I think you really would want to keep the weight forward to preserve and enhance the knife's natural tendendy to want to slice.

BUT -- just speculating here -- what about one of those hybrid Wa handles? Not sure what it's called but you use a Wa tang and mount the wood same as a Wa -- except the bottom of the wood is shaped like a pistol grip. I bet if you used a less dense wood like walnut someone might be able to pull it off while maintaining the right balance point and not straying too far from a desireable overall weight.

Just specualting here.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Just specualting here.
And while I am not a huge fan of large knives this one seems like it would replace a 240 suji quite nicely and double, for me, as a gyuto when needed. The normal 245, that is. I think this one is finally going on my list. :mrgreen:
timos

Post by timos »

Robstreperous wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Just specualting here.
Yes Rob, there is no need that it be heavier than any Wa, I would just use a frame handle type construction...it would be just as light as a Wa...think natural wood as opposed to stabilized and it would be very light.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Are you guys talking about the partial tang westerns that look like a full western but only have the tang showing on top? Like the Minamoto knives? I really like those. Comfy, western style and light like a wa. What isn't to like? :D
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:53 pm Are you guys talking about the partial tang westerns that look like a full western but only have the tang showing on top? Like the Minamoto knives? I really like those. Comfy, western style and light like a wa. What isn't to like? :D
Not sure. Here's a petty Tim did for me in the style I was thinking of.

Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Robstreperous wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:01 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:53 pm Are you guys talking about the partial tang westerns that look like a full western but only have the tang showing on top? Like the Minamoto knives? I really like those. Comfy, western style and light like a wa. What isn't to like? :D
Not sure. Here's a petty Tim did for me in the style I was thinking of.

I can not tell if that is put together the same way or not from that angle BUT I like it! Weight of a wa and looks of a yo, love it!!
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

^^^ Tim has a G10 spacer runnig prallel to the spine and around the heel.

It'd work on a Kashima. You should try it Kit. ;)
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Robstreperous wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 pm ^^^ Tim has a G10 spacer runnig prallel to the spine and around the heel.

Hah, I hear you. No hobby cash at the moment. Siding the house. This house is going to be the death of my hobby money!
timos

Post by timos »

Robstreperous wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 pm ^^^ Tim has a G10 spacer runnig prallel to the spine and around the heel.

lemon squeezy guys :)

Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

timos wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:03 am

lemon squeezy guys :)

That is really cool!
supersharp

Post by supersharp »

Shiny new 245mm Kashima just arrived. Can't wait to get it on some peppers tonight.
supersharp

Post by supersharp »

I'm really liking the knife after playing with it some tonight. Glides through peppers with ease. I had a mix of fresh, firm ones as well as some a few days old and wrinkly. Both cut with barely any effort. A few more test cuts on various foods around the fridge and I'm sold so far. The tip on these knives is magically thin. I'm partial to lasers and this definitely fits most of the laser check marks. However, it still feels like it fits in a bit with knives more workhorse oriented. The 245mm size feels pretty right. I'm normally more partial to smaller knives being just a home cook, but this feels very comfortable. I think it's a keeper. Hopefully there are enough in the order pipeline so they are a little easier to come by before long. I'd like to try a smaller one as well.