Konosuke Keiai NT 210 Gyuto

GopherBroke

Konosuke Keiai NT 210 Gyuto

Post by GopherBroke »

Thank you Mark for offering up the knife, and to Kalaeb for babysitting.

The knife is a Konosuke Keiai NT 210 Gyuto.

Weight 129.9gm or 4.58 ounces
Length 216mm or 8.503"
Height at heel: 46.71mm or 1.893"
Spine @ heel: 3.17mm or 0.124"
Mid blade: 1.87mm or .0736"
1cm from tip: 1.17mm or .046"

The knife arrived a week ago today, and I've used it as my go-to knife since it's been here, for the most part.
I must say that I am a sucker for Damascus, and this one is spectacular!
Most of the Damascus clad knives I've seen are more or less two tones of silver.. The NT has gold and black tones that really are beautiful.
It is a stunning looking knife to put it simply.

I did sharpen the knife when it arrived.
I'm not sure if that was the OOTB edge, or if Mark or Kalaeb had used it prior, but it was ready for the stones.
It felt good on the stones. It wasn't hard and resistant to removal like some stainless steels. If I was blind folded and had to guess what it was by the feel... I would have guessed a Blue or Blue #2.

The profile..
The profile was comfortable for my style (push cut, and chop), as well as rock chopping, which I don't do often.
The tip section was flat enough that I didn't get accordion cuts like I have had happen with some other knives.
There is a rather short flat spot at the heel that is about 2" long, and then the curve toward the tip starts.

The spine isn't laser thin, but it's also not a chubber either.
There is not much distal taper until you get to the tip.
The choil is well rounded and smooth to the touch.

The handle..
This handle is unlike any other handle I've encountered on a JK.
It's very slim and slender compared to the typical designs.
At first it felt a bit odd, as the factory handles, and the handles I've been making are much wider.
I'll certainly make a few and see how I like them over a longer period of time... but for the week I've used it so far, I liked it a lot.

The wood was typical of a factory handle; nothing fancy, but a nice specimen.
It could have used a little more attention with the sand paper, as it feels a little rough to the touch.
The fit at the tang is superb! It is the best fit I've seen on a factory handle, by far.

Performance..
I didn't dislike the knife, but I wasn't exactly in love with it either. It was sharp and it cut well, but no Ah Ha moments.
For as thin as the blade is I expected to feel some flexing, and I didn't. It's far stiffer than I imagined it would be.
It cut well, and only wedged a little on rather larger carrots.
Food release was better than expected, and the only issue was with raw, starchy, sticky taters. They stick to everything any how.

Some other pics I took

TL&DR
Over all I enjoyed the knife and a new experience with a Konosuke, but I'm not sure I'd run out today and buy one.
For my personal tastes and style of use there are other knives that I would opt for first.
If someone gifted one to me I wouldn't re-gift or sell it. The Damascus cladding is unique, and it is stunning.
The steel took a great edge and in the week I had it the edge didn't degrade much at all.

If you're looking for a beautiful Damascus clad knife take a long hard look at this one!
Globemaster787

Re: Konosuke Keiai NT 210 Gyuto

Post by Globemaster787 »

Gorgeous!