Toshi Hiro Wakui 210mm Gyuto

jmcnelly85

Toshi Hiro Wakui 210mm Gyuto

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Posted earlier...

This is my kind of blade. From an aesthetics standpoint, the understated, functional look is certainly something I prefer over a flashy, look at me style gyuto. Each chisel mark can be seen in the kanji, illustrating it's workmanship attitude over glitz and glamor.

I started my shift prepping sweet, red and russet potatoes, fairly non stick throughout and cut with ease through all. The way it goes through sweet potatoes is unbelievable, combining a certain amount of heft with a very thin cutting edge to go through, I never experienced the partly through "stop" cut that happens with my as laser, or the broken wedge of my sab artifex, it simply cut the way a knife should.

Moving on to trimming cauliflower and romanesco, I found the tip to be much thinner than I realized. For the weight of the blade it is surprisingly agile and precise, easily maneuvering around and popping off veggies from the core.

I'm quite impressed with its edge retention, it started to lose a lil bite on the second gallon of mire poix, but was still able to speed chop apples with ease without getting touched up at any point during the shift.

The profile is great, I thought at first it'd be better suited for a 240 because it looks like it has more belly up front than it actually has. I've always liked the continuous gentle swoop of my 210 kohetsu; however, that big flat spot is more my style. When rocked, it doesn't "thud" like the sab profile, and doesn't have the "I don't like to be rocked" feeling of the as laser. For this blades girth, it is quite a chopper, this blade simply wants to keep on cutting.

The blade arrived with little to no patina, but that didn't last a whole shift, I made sure to try to smell anything doing onions and romas, and never got that smell. The patina thats starting is a very vivid blue and b.a. looking.

The handle is complete garbage, the gap between the tang and handle makes me think of the thread with the cracked f. Dick handle and what might fester in the abyss if left untreated.

Overall, this knife resonates with me more than any knife I've tried. I love my laser, sab, and kb2, but this blade is in a league of its own. I tried the takamura and was pretty impressed, but this things a completely different species of knife. Its like comparing Manny Pacqiao to Lennox Lewis.

This knife is a bucket list knife for me; however, mine will probably have a basic ho with a blond horn ferrule.
ashy2classy

Re: Toshi Hiro Wakui 210mm Gyuto

Post by ashy2classy »

Thanks for the review! I know you mentioned about rocking, but overall how does it compare to the AS laser you use? I just snagged one but based on looks the Wakui is interesting. I had a Gihei and I know how much you love yours, but this seems more my style (with a re-handle of course). Would love to hear how they compare.

Thanks again for your comments!
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

It's been a while since I've used the thw, but I remember it being burly, for a 210 it handled like a 240, definitely in the category where it does the work for you. The laser is more about balance. Doesn't do all the work or take much work, defitive middleweight.
desol

Post by desol »

Any pictures of Wakui?
gladius

Post by gladius »

snipes

Post by snipes »

desol wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:15 pm Any pictures of Wakui?
I love this knife even with the wonky chestnut handle.
240 pics:

Sous:
desol

Post by desol »

Thanks for the pics Snipes. I always liked the looks of those blades as well.
ryanjams

Post by ryanjams »

All about my Wakuis... I've got a Yamawaku 210 in v2 which has served well, seen some pretty serious repair/reprofiling. Just picked up a 210 suji/petty and 270 gyuto (which run pretty long!) in stainless clad white 2 which I'm really enjoying.
old onion

Post by old onion »

I know that this is a very old thread but these videos grabbed me and I wonder how or why the 210 Wakui would weigh more then the 240 Wakui. Is this a typo or is it real?