Shibata Kashima

Robstreperous

Re: Shibata Kashima

Post by Robstreperous »

^^^^ If you look closely at it how's your edge? I didn't examine mine closely when it was new and got some initial chipping after first few uses. Going forward this hasn't been a problem. Took it up to a very high level of refinement and the edge has held.

One thing to be mindful of being extra careful with the edge on your work area. I managed to bang mine against something, don't recall what, and now I've got a nice little wrinkle in the bevel. It'll sharpen out eventually but I bring it up because it didn't seem to be that hard of a ding. Certainly nothing I haven't done to other knives before.

I'm guessing the thinness of the edge and the grind may might make it more susceptible to this type of "damage". Doesn't matter. Still cuts great and I should have taken better care of it. Heck. This thing's a thoroughbred not a pack horse.
supersharp

Post by supersharp »

I have one tiny microchip about an inch back from the tip. It's only visible under magnification. It's a thoroughbred indeed. Really a fun knife to use. I saw the recent lot come available today went quickly.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Yeah, im super excited i got one of these today. I was getting a little sick of hearing how awesome they are. I really wanted the rosewood handle one, but i missed out on that one (slightly disappointed i was hoping to wait and snag one of those). The konosuke handles are nice though and should be just fine.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Robstreperous wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:35 am ^^^^ If you look closely at it how's your edge? I didn't examine mine closely when it was new and got some initial chipping after first few uses. Going forward this hasn't been a problem. Took it up to a very high level of refinement and the edge has held.

One thing to be mindful of being extra careful with the edge on your work area. I managed to bang mine against something, don't recall what, and now I've got a nice little wrinkle in the bevel. It'll sharpen out eventually but I bring it up because it didn't seem to be that hard of a ding. Certainly nothing I haven't done to other knives before.

I'm guessing the thinness of the edge and the grind may might make it more susceptible to this type of "damage". Doesn't matter. Still cuts great and I should have taken better care of it. Heck. This thing's a thoroughbred not a pack horse.
That does not sound at all abnormal to me. I have done the same with blue and white steel knives treated at around 62hrc. Light bump on the tile sink and there is your wrinkle, and I do mean light! I suppose that is where harder treatments, such as honyaki, might show my poor form on the board. I suppose that is why I haven't pulled the trigger, fear. :lol:

I debated buying the custom Kashima for hours and was relived when it sold. Not because I don't want one but because I don't want a 245mm knife. I am still holding out for the 220 and that, for me is still pushing it.
supersharp

Post by supersharp »

Speaking of the 220mm...is it expected to arrive anytime soon?
supersharp

Post by supersharp »

I noticed the 220mm Kashima page is off the website. Say it ain't so...😔
supersharp

Post by supersharp »

supersharp wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:11 pm I noticed the 220mm Kashima page is off the website. Say it ain't so...😔

Soooo, I emailed Mark and the 220 is still on order. I'll definitely pick one up! 😁
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

I grabbed a used one off BST for 200 smackers and I must say that I’m very pleased with it overall. I have been lacking a wa handled laser and this may be the most laserish blade I’d ever used. I never really liked the KS for several reasons, but the kashima cleared up several of the negatives for me. First was the length, the kashima comes in at 242mm which is livable in my world, second it’s stainless and it’s R2 much better than the stamped, reactive and soft white #2 and lastly, the kashimas handle is realively nice and well matched. A couple of things that I don’t like are the low height at the heel, wish it were a tad taller but not too upsetting as it performs well and I hate to say it but the knife is really plain looking - probably the most generic looking knife I’ve ever owned.
The knife is thin, light and razor sharp, so it absolutely destroys soft veggies. So much fun to blast through stir fry veggies. No worries about rust or clean up, can throw it on the board and forget it. I think I’ve found my laser keeper, it’s not a looker but it’s one hell of a worker and for 200 bucks I can live with that.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Chicagohawkie wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:49 pm I grabbed a used one off BST for 200 smackers and I must say that I’m very pleased with it overall. I have been lacking a wa handled laser and this may be the most laserish blade I’d ever used. I never really liked the KS for several reasons, but the kashima cleared up several of the negatives for me. First was the length, the kashima comes in at 242mm which is livable in my world, second it’s stainless and it’s R2 much better than the stamped, reactive and soft white #2 and lastly, the kashimas handle is realively nice and well matched. A couple of things that I don’t like are the low height at the heel, wish it were a tad taller but not too upsetting as it performs well and I hate to say it but the knife is really plain looking - probably the most generic looking knife I’ve ever owned.
The knife is thin, light and razor sharp, so it absolutely destroys soft veggies. So much fun to blast through stir fry veggies. No worries about rust or clean up, can throw it on the board and forget it. I think I’ve found my laser keeper, it’s not a looker but it’s one hell of a worker and for 200 bucks I can live with that.
I think that says a lot coming from your collection