Shibata Kashima

Kit Craft

Re: Shibata Kashima

Post by Kit Craft »

Robstreperous wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:11 pm I had a really nice session with my Kashima on the stones today. The microchips came out easily using a Bamboo 5000. Then it polished up nicely on a Meara followed by a Yaginoshima. Prepped dinner with it tonight -- can't say I noticed any difference in performance vs the OOTB edge but it was so good to begin with.

The one thing I did notice was the knife "feels" a little better on the board. Someone else mentioned in a different thread they eitehr felt or thought they heard "curnching". I get that. For me it was a vague sense it was "scratchy". Kind of like sand on glass. That's completely gone now.

Back to shapening. Truthfully I expected a difficult to sharpen steel. It wasn't. I wasn't really trying to raise a burr but it came up pretty easily anyhow on the 5000. I also found the feedback pretty pleasant. It reminded me of the really nice VG10 treatment on my Kikuichi Warkomi Damascus. Nice feedback and I had an easy time figuring out where I was on the edge.

Going forward I'm gioing to play with it for a while and see how it holds up. No chipping... I'm going to take it up even further... will break out the Takeshima and the Nakayama Iromono.

I'm sure some people out there are cringing at the thought of PM on naturals but... gotta teil ya' it went really well today.
How did it feel on the Yagi? How did the Yagi react? Normal metal removal, slower, etc? I have never heard anyone say how this steel acts on naturals. I have asked a few times and even started a thread about it way back, zero replies! Would love to hear how it acts with the Takashima as well.

I have an R2 knife coming so I can soon test the steel, in general, for myself but I am curious to hear what you think. I am glad to hear you compare it to a well treated VG10 because I tend to find VG10 easy enough to sharpen on naturals.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

If I didn't know I was sharpening R2 I would have said I was sharpening AS or my Kikuichi. A little tougher than SG2 but nowhere near as ornery as that 52100 I sharpened a couple of weeks back.

Don't know what'll happen once I need to drop down to coarser stones but on these? Pretty nice to work with. No trouble at all.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Robstreperous wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:34 pm If I didn't know I was sharpening R2 I would have said I was sharpening AS or my Kikuichi. A little tougher than SG2 but nowhere near as ornery as that 52100 I sharpened a couple of weeks back.

Don't know what'll happen once I need to drop down to coarser stones but on these? Pretty nice to work with. No trouble at all.
Thank you, that is great to know. Sounds like the difficulty of sharpening R2 is a little disproportionate.
Eversor13

Post by Eversor13 »

I've only had the chance to cut 2 things so far with this knife, an apple and an onion. Holy moly.... Smoother than any butter I've ever cut through before. No issues here with accordion cuts or the like. Great profile, grind, and incredibly sharp OOTB. I haven't noticed the "scratchy on the board" feeling yet, but then again, I haven't gotten to use it much yet.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Putting this one on the " next " list.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

nevrknow wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:37 am Putting this one on the " next " list.
Me to, but it is behind about 18 natural stones. :lol:
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

I'm sure some people out there are cringing at the thought of PM on naturals but... gotta teil ya' it went really well today.
Hey, if the stones give you an edge that works for you and that you like, who cares if they're synthetic or natural ;-).
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

SteveG wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:30 pm
Hey, if the stones give you an edge that works for you and that you like, who cares if they're synthetic or natural ;-).
I'm not cringing at all. If you can't sharpen it on a natural, I don't want it. :P
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

My Kono W#2 handles sweeties just fine. I usually put out my TF, but the Kono if used as Igalor directed does a good job.
Jeffry B
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:44 am My Kono W#2 handles sweeties just fine. I usually put out my TF, but the Kono if used as Igalor directed does a good job.
Hey Jeff. How ya' been?

My original comment wasn't that I surprised a laser could handle dense root veggies like sweet potatoes. What surprised me was that the Shibata is at least on par with my previous champ -- my Anryu -- and may have even surpassed it.

Need to use a different technique to be certain.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Hi Rob. I was responding to an earlier post by DV/DT. Sorry for the confusion.

The Anryu is certainly one of the best I've used on root veggies. Shibata hitting a similar level of performance is impressive.

I've been testing the rest of my knives lately on harder vegetables and my TF keeps coming up roses. It's a powerhouse of a knife, especially with the custom handle adding more weight. But it would be nice to have a lighter knife that did the job just as well ...

Busy summer. Only gonna get busier with the two kids going to college next week. One to Boston, one to Spain. I've gone longer without buying a knife than anytime in the past three years!
Jeffry B
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 pm the two kids going to college next week. One to Boston, one to Spain. I've gone longer without buying a knife than anytime in the past three years!
Two kids in college at the same time.... get used to it! Good news though. Nobody hit the powerball last night.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Robstreperous wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:29 pm
jbart65 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 pm the two kids going to college next week. One to Boston, one to Spain. I've gone longer without buying a knife than anytime in the past three years!
Two kids in college at the same time.... get used to it! Good news though. Nobody hit the powerball last night.
That is bad news for me as I played it. :lol: I played mega, too.
Klotf

Post by Klotf »

I may have actually scored one of these babies!!!!

Email arrived and I checked out as fast as humanly possible!

Fingers crossed now...
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

^^^^ So by any chance are you the one who scored that spalted maple handled custom Monday night?
Klotf

Post by Klotf »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:17 pm ^^^^ So by any chance are you the one who scored that spalted maple handled custom Monday night?
No, no, I wanted the normal 250mm. I think only one came up a couple of hours ago! Scoreeeeee
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Good for you. I like this knife more and more every time I use it.
Klotf

Post by Klotf »

Cheers, really looking forward to it
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Mine still hasn't left my bag. This has never happened before. It has put my Konosuke Ginsan out of business.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Lepus wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:03 pm Mine still hasn't left my bag. This has never happened before. It has put my Konosuke Ginsan out of business.
:shock: that's a big endorsement there