Doi blue #2 240mm gyuto review

Jsgillis86

Doi blue #2 240mm gyuto review

Post by Jsgillis86 »

"The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward." - Steve Maraboli

Wait, hold up- You mean to tell me that there exists a knife whose shape resembles that of the almighty KS and sports the Doi name???  Well just tickle me pink why don't ya?  On the other hand, any hall-of-famer type branding sets the bar accordingly, id est, very, very high.  It's for this reason that this review has been exceedingly difficult for me to lay out.  To be honest, it still is.  But in the end it's just a knife, and for better or worse my opinions haven't gravitated much from where they were up front, so it's time, and time it is.  This review covers the Doi Blue #2 240mm gyuto. 

Upon unboxing I was immediately impressed by both the way this one felt and fit in my hand.  The conservative heel height is remarkably well complimented by her slender neck and yet still by the abrupt yet somehow flowing curvature of the choil.  Furthermore, the handle size, geometry and placement all combine forces to strengthen her ergonomic entirety.  These items in arrangement with her "passably similar to the Masamoto" type weight distribution played a heavy hand in my OOTB opinions, as it's not only something I'm beyond familiar with, but also something I most definitely favor.

On the real, this neck is worthy of some air-time all to it's own.  Most slim necks do compensate for heel height (or lack thereof), but they also almost always end up leaving the knife tacitly unpleasant, either in the form of muting feedback or just feeling downright Fischer Price.  Contrarily, this neck sacrifices nil.  It's stalwart and staunch, provides a rich and full-bodied resonance directly to the user and is reliable in the face of suggestive dimension.  In fewer words, functionally adept.  To you, Mr. Doi, my hat's off.  You have my approval on all things neck.

The edge profile certainly qualifies as the Japanese/French hybrid that seems to be gaining traction again as of late.  Needless to say, it navigates the board exceptionally well while rocking and glides as smooth as a late shave.  Cross chopping is also noteworthy.  In fact, it's been a healthy minute since I've enjoyed roughly chopping herbs as much as I did with this one.  The buzz I've read all revolves around the recurve at the heel, but to be honest I never took much notice of it in actual use.  The only points I find worth mentioning are that it has yet to negatively effect my chopping sprees and has made all those "constant contact with board" techniques a smidge less jarring.

The finish is classy to the last molecule.  It sports that simplistically defined raunchy elegance we have come to predict from all the advocates of the old ways.  To add to the fact, the millisecond as any product makes contact the cladding and core contrast each other descriptively and in a fashion that I can only describe as stylistically high-toned.  Yet, peculiarly, the knife as a whole doesn't seem to define itself through appearance.  At a glance those not well versed in mud and abrasion tend to glance only casually at the ol' new gen Doi, but the select few who've delved passed what they thought they knew all share a succinct appreciation for the attention paid.  After a few magnified look-sees myself, I seriously reconsidered my definitions of 'steady hand' and 'detail'.

The manner in which the spine is finished syncs up with the rest; chamfered with a shade of rusticity in mind, polished and rounded just enough to bump comfort up a few ticks without foregoing grip.  The choil and handle follow suit.  Even if I don't enjoy the looks of the handle (I don't, if you haven't got that already) it's ergonomic, provides a reasonable amount of grip when wet and is installed as tight and clean as a(n) [insert tasteless joke here].  All concerns aside, this level of cohesion in anything always brings a smile to my face.

Oddly enough (given my hardwearing partisanship for the style), performance is what unglued this one for me.  This is a strapping, robust knife that, while more than acceptably thin behind the edge, sports a muscular convex grind that displays many of the commonplace discrepancies similarly brawny knives tend to share in practice.  Her initial piercing action is crisp and pristine, almost violent, but there seems to be a section about a half-inch into the blade where the knife begins to rely solely on the users momentum/assertion and the weight from the spine to complete the cut at hand.  Even if all three of these factors are all flowing fluidly together in perfect tandem this issue is still entirely noticeable vs tall product and borderline disheartening vs product that is both notoriously dense and tall.  For the most part the meticulously grafted distribution of said weight assuredly pushes passed the grinds allotted girth, but tends to cause cracking on items such as voluminous carrots, ho-hum celery stalks and halved sweet potatoes all in the same motion.  I genuinely want to love this knife with all my heart so it pains me to great end to say this, but said displays have disappointed me and continue to.  Shame it is.  At the very least the in-hand feel was not bearing any false advertisement.

Ok, so she trips a bit over the higher hurdles- so what?  She fairs just dandy vs simple product and feels indomitable on the board, yea?  This trend of thought had me searching vigorously for the line knife in her and from top to bottom she's got the skeletal structure to be so, but this cladding is not forgiving enough for me to confidently give that nod.  Once I was made aware of her propensity to ugly up on me I became unremittingly diligent in my habits and prevented any unbecoming streaks and spots from forming live, but these issues also surfaced during storage.  Shift after shift I'd walk in to work and unzip my roll only to find a plethora of the splotchy and disconcerting waiting for me... again...  After a month of depleting our baking soda supply and begging the bartender for my daily cork I decided enough was enough.  For whatever reason during our tenure this cladding just wouldn't calm down nor meet me halfway, and I just don't have time for that shit anymore.

One glory amidst the madness and possibly this knife's saving grace in my eyes is this steel.  As many of us well know the name Doi is legendarily synonymous with a brilliant blue, and I must say, if my progeny put forth such an example of metallurgy I would be proud.  It's one that takes an edge so willingly that you have to be mindful not to overshoot, accepts any edge graciously and creates a synergistic harmony between the user, the stone and itself to do so.  During sharpening sessions I found myself serene and absorbed through every pass, pensive and reflective while my next stone soaked and stropping as though this knife would be the last knife I ever trued.  Granted it's nothing as revolutionary as a Black Steel nor as extreme as a ZDP, but it doesn't have to be.  The only real complaint I can muster up is that she loses bite quicker than some, but with how suddenly she springs back to hostile on a loaded strop I consider the issue a fleeting one at best.  I think it goes without saying, but I'm a fan.  As our time draws nearer to it's close I find myself coveting the thought of how hospitably I was treated by this steel.  It's not often that I'd be willing to shell out such praise for something so suspiciously one-dimensional, but in this case I have no qualms.

And finally, the niche this knife seemed to shine in the most was vs red meats and other assorted proteins.  The geometry does make eyes at the thought of semi-suji so no surprises there, but ribeyes with thick fat caps and pretty much pork anything (within the realm of reason) were always such a pleasure.  Even cured meats, tenderloins and their respective ilk stood no ground in the Doi's shadow.  There's no doubt in my mind, this knife is a carnivore, balls to bones.

Right.  So what do we have then?  A long, tough, brawny, carnivorous, superbly comfortable/wieldable knife with some brilliant core steel.  Also a wedgy mess at times with some potentially frustrating cladding.  All these contrasting elements make the knife increasingly difficult for me to quantify.

So what bracket is this combination of elements best suited for?  A curious fully reactive home-bruiser workhorse for stone aficionados who fear no subprimal?  Maybe the meat 'n' (not sweet) 'tatoes crowd?  Hmm.  Curious indeed.

Me personally?  Ugh... Hesitantly so, but I'm gonna have to pass.  Granted, if I had bought the knife already I'd be miles from crestfallen.  To this day, to this moment even, the thought of dulling the piss out of her so I can get her back on the stones gets me giddy.  And when I hold her... Man oh man... It just feels so goddam' right.  But the second I get her on the board with a lengthy, diverse prep list in front of me I know it in my marrow, it's time to let this one go.

Maybe it's an entirely personal matter.  Maybe I'm spoiled.  Maybe I've dialed in too far on my preferences.  Maybe I absolutely, most definitely anticipated so much more from the name and the name alone and had my hopes lifted so ridiculously sky high only to have one nasty squash and one cheeky bastard of a cabbage tip the scales and have my limitless expectations drop from the heavens like Lucifer stripped of his wings only to have them shattered into a million billion pieces upon the cruel impact of reality...

..But it is what it is.  And it's only a knife.  And this is the way of things.  And I suppose that's all I have to say on the matter, other than I can only hope this review doesn't come across as too harsh.  I mean, she's not gonna solve world hunger nor cure the common cold, but I'm positive this knife is for someone.  There's plenty of good in this mix and she almost does it for me, just not quite enough for me to pay retail price for.  Yea, that's it.  My due diligence has been done.

To all of you that've made it this far, many thanks for reading guys.  I bid you all good day.

Oh.  By the way, have y'all met TomCutlery?  Quite the gentleman, eh?  Patient one too.  Good guy, that Tom.

@Tom- Tom?  Thomas?  Tommy?  Regardless, expect your kindness towards me to be repaid with haste and tenfold.  Er, well at least one or two fold.  Good day good sir.
Last edited by Jsgillis86 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
salemj

Re: Doi blue #2 240mm gyuto review

Post by salemj »

Enjoyed the read. Tip-top back-in-the-element high-class in-the-dirt low-down consideration of what is, after all, a "cow knife."

Haha.

Thanks for the impressive thoughtfulness in every regard on this one.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

Anytime Joe, and thank ya kindly good sir.

This one wasn't easy for me. I kept at it for a month trying to figure it out or to find something I'd missed, but I'm not convinced what I'm searching for is there.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I haven't used one yet. But based on what I've seen and read, my general impression is this: a really remarkable "first major offering" on CKTG, but an oddly confusing offering from a smith who has been at it for a couple decades. It is beautiful to look at in pictures, and it has great curves all around, but one wonders if Doi used/tested the design as a gyuto himself, or if he just never uses them, period.

To be clear: that is all just mumbo-jumbo psychological speak: I have no idea about any of this. But it was and remains my impression for some reason. Still excited about the offering, and still extremely curious to see what a smaller 210 version may look (and act) like...
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. I have no idea who Doi jr. is as a person or as a smith so I won't make any assumptions, but if this were a first knife from a brand new smith I'd advise people to keep an eye on this guy. But he's a Doi.

I've seen his father's work. In fact, a Doi yanagiba (one I'll never forget) was one of those knives that forever raised the bar for me. But.. nevermind. It's been said and I'm just repeating myself now.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Damn, JS. I miss your reviews. Who else can write in novella form about sharp instruments and make a devouted knife lover hang on ever word?

I am glad I held off on this knife, but that's what two kids in college will do. The buildup and preview pics made me think it was right up my alley, but I recently sold my overlength KS because I can't use it enough (two kids in college again). Didn't need another really big knife.

My Sekiso is hard to beat for an all-rounder, but I'll keep an eye out for other contenders. Maybe Toyama.

As for newer knives, you might want to give the Yahiko Nashiji a spin. My best new addition in awhile. I also liked the Yahiko Shimo, but it was too much like my Sekiso.
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

salemj wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:21 pm I haven't used one yet. But based on what I've seen and read, my general impression is this: a really remarkable "first major offering" on CKTG, but an oddly confusing offering from a smith who has been at it for a couple decades. It is beautiful to look at in pictures, and it has great curves all around, but one wonders if Doi used/tested the design as a gyuto himself, or if he just never uses them, period.

To be clear: that is all just mumbo-jumbo psychological speak: I have no idea about any of this. But it was and remains my impression for some reason. Still excited about the offering, and still extremely curious to see what a smaller 210 version may look (and act) like...
A 210 would be interesting. What about that Doi 210 that's coming in October?
Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

@bart, I found the Doi to be strikingly similar to the Sekiso in many a fashion. I wasn't gonna bring it up unless it was brought up, but...

...honestly, I favor the Sekiso. The Doi has the edge on fit and finish, the handle and all other assorted pleasantries, but as far as business goes the Sekiso takes the cake.

I thought much about this and considered including it in my review, but I think if the Doi was taller at the heel and the grind correspondingly elongated, it would perform much like the Sekiso and do itself a favor or two. If all this worked like I think it would work $300 for this knife would be a steal, but this is all conjecture as I'm no smith.

As is, the grind felt mildly to moderately cramped to me, like too many good ideas in too small a space. And with as particular as you are about tip sections I'd say you made the right choice waiting it out. Ugh.. It still pains me to talk down about this knife. There's so much going for it.

Anyways, many thanks for the compliment. I'll certainly give the Yahiko a little once over on your recommendation.
Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

@Spence, revisions would need to be made for me to consider a 210. Stainless cladding and taller at the heel with the grind elongated? Yes. Double yes.

In that, I see a line knife that doubles as a quick and easy solution to the inevitably pending "we ran out of this shit during service and I have to prep said shit really fast during service with whatever knife I've got on deck during service" type knife. But my impressions of the 240 lead me to believe I'd either be a cork scrubbing hindrance to my line sooner or later or struggle through a tall onion sooner than sooner.

So much potential here though. So much..
Georgek

Post by Georgek »

Jsgillis86 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:23 pm ...This is a strapping, robust knife that, while more than acceptably thin behind the edge, sports a muscular convex grind that displays many of the commonplace discrepancies similarly brawny knives tend to share in practice.  Her initial piercing action is crisp and pristine, almost violent, but there seems to be a section about a half-inch into the blade where the knife begins to rely solely on the users momentum/assertion and the weight from the spine to complete the cut at hand.  Even if all three of these factors are all flowing fluidly together in perfect tandem this issue is still entirely noticeable vs tall product and borderline disheartening vs product that is both notoriously dense and tall....
Huge +1 here.

Great review Stephen !
snipes

Post by snipes »

A very enjoyable and worthwhile review. There was nothing overly harsh about it. An excellent even handed review. Thanks for sharing.
Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

@George, good to hear from ya buddy! Hope all is well.

It's entirely bittersweet, but I'm glad we shared a similar experience. It sucks for the knife, but at least I know I'm not crazy, nor did I just get a dud.

@Snipes, anytime bud, and many thanks. I have high hopes that the minute discrepancies will soon be remedied. He is a Doi. I can't see him not becoming something great very soon.
supersharp

Post by supersharp »

Back in stock this afternoon just in case anyone wanted one.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I'm waiting for the 210. Still love my 240.
supersharp

Post by supersharp »

I couldn't wait and orderd a 240, but I'm in for a 210 as well when they arrive.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I haven't fully and firmly formed my opinion on this knife ----- yet. But after about 6 weeks my initial impression - which was similar to Stephen's - is changing.

- The cladding is finally starting to settle down.
- What I first thought of as a thicker than I like grind has disappeared as almost unnoticeable when I adjust to a more slicing favored motion.
- After sharpening this thing and putting my own edge on it the Doi drops through peppers on its own weight after an initial pierce.
- It's forming this absolutely beautiful bluish - rainbowish patina.

I'm still forming my opinion of this knife -- and it's way different from the thin / light blades I've generally favored to this point but -- I think I'm beginning to understand it and I'm really starting to like it.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

Nice read, Stephen.

As always, I don't read other people's reviews on a knife until I've had a chance to look at it... Pretty much my impression too.

It has been a very long times since I handled one, but I recall feeling similarly about the Ikeda KS clone as well. The thing no one has got right about the KS it the overall laserishness of the knife.

The Sekiso is an interesting comparison... I would NEVER have made that jump because of the profile issue. The Sekiso is very tall at the heel and not pointed at all in overall shape. I suppose it is entirely possible that the Doi grind, elongated would work very much like a Tanaka grind but I wonder... If given more real estate, what would Doi Jr do with it?