Jikko Akebono, 240mm Gyuto

cedarhouse

Jikko Akebono, 240mm Gyuto

Post by cedarhouse »

Georgek

Re: Jikko Akebono, 240mm Gyuto

Post by Georgek »

Thank you for the review Ryan, i am glad you liked it!
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

Georgek wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:47 pm Thank you for the review Ryan, i am glad you liked it!
George, as you have more experience with this knife than I do, I wanted to know your thoughts on it? It is one of your babies?
J david

Post by J david »

I picked up the one on the black Friday sale. It should be here Thursday. I previously owned the kirtsuke version which was very nice and my first foray into k-tip gyutos. I found out that k-tips were not for me and I have since moved on. I'm excited about the standard version, which i picked up with an upgraded handle and saya. I'll give my thoughts after I have some time with it.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Nice review Ryan.

...and I went to buy an Akebono when that vendor had a 10% off sale a few weeks back but they were OOS. :x

I already have the Jikko Akatsuki and wanted its brother. Instead I got the Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura Wa Gyuto 240mm at a nice discount.

@Ryan: IYO, are the Akebono and Syousin Sakura too similar to even pursue an Akebono when it re-stocks?
Georgek

Post by Georgek »

Ryan, Yes it is. Currently, it is my favorite non-custom knife and the first I would replace if anything happened to it. I like it so much, that I also got the k-tip version of it. Also an excellent performer! I have only used the White#2 back in 2013 from the Konosuke Fujiyama series and I would dare to say that the Akebono is better or more accurately my favorite of the two.

Gladius, pm me if you want to try the Akebono. I have no experience with the Sakura, but they look fairly similar.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

gladius wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:33 pm @Ryan: IYO, are the Akebono and Syousin Sakura too similar to even pursue an Akebono when it re-stocks?
That is a pretty subjective question so please take this with a grain of salt but for my money, they are too close to own both.
gladius

Post by gladius »

cedarhouse wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:38 pm That is a pretty subjective question so please take this with a grain of salt but for my money, they are too close to own both.
---
Thanks Ryan, actually that is a good observation and also appears that way to me (and to GeorgeK too apparently) when side-by-side.

@George: Thank you for the kind offer, I may take you up on that maybe after the holidays, I'm traveling most of December.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I just gave the Akebono a spin for four days of heavy prep. Stupendously good knife. I've been eyeing it for some time. Best carrot cutter I've ever used among the 60-plus knives I have owned or tried.

And yet, it's probably not for me. I'll explain why later, but it certainly no fault of the Akebono. I'd recommend to anyone.
Jeffry B
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

If someone ever wanted a konosuke Fuji blue 2 Funayuki this is the knife to get. A little taller, but with out the elegance of the Fuji treatment. A very nice knife with a great ebony and horn handle.
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

Thanks for the review, Ryan. I've been interested in these but never brought myself to actually buy one. I just picked up a used Konosuke Fuji blue #2 so I'm hoping this or the Takayuki Syousin Sakura you mentioned weren't better choices.
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

Ashy,
The Sakura is almost a direct copy or maybe I should say competitor of the kono blue 2 albeit a little thicker, the Sakura does have a nicer handle than the kono post ebony models and nice saya to match. Your kono blue 2 is equally comparable to those mentioned above if not nicer.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

ashy2classy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:56 pm Thanks for the review, Ryan. I've been interested in these but never brought myself to actually buy one. I just picked up a used Konosuke Fuji blue #2 so I'm hoping this or the Takayuki Syousin Sakura you mentioned weren't better choices.
All knives differ so no guarantees you wouldn't have preferred a different knife but the knife you got will not want for quality. They are all first rate.