Toyama, Akebono 240 comparison

J david

Toyama, Akebono 240 comparison

Post by J david »

As requested, a brief comparison between the Toyama 240 gyuto and the Jikko Akebono 240. Both are blue 2 steel with reactive cladding.

Well, I've only had the Akebono for a couple of weeks now and have not been able to properly put it through the paces. I will give my early impressions, but they are subject to change with more use. So far, I am pleased and feel like it complements the Toyama well. The biggest difference is profile and grind.

The Akebono has a flatter profile than the Toyama and fans of the KS will find it familiar, however it is a little shorter at 244mm.
Toyama top, Akebono bottom

The grind of the Toyama is beefier overall even though the Akebono is .4oz heavier. Much of the weight difference is in the handle. Choil shots:
Akebono

Toyama

The tips are similar with the Akebono being slightly thinner

I've only had a couple of prep sessions with the Akebono but I can say the performance is very good. The Toyama has been my personal gold standard of performance for a while, giving me the perfect balance of cutting ability, food separation, and release, and very surprising tip performance. The Akebono is a little easier through product, but the food release is slightly behind the Toyama. The tip seems to be on par so far. Overall it is a good performer.

One area where the Akebono excelles past the Toyama is fit and finish. The Toyama is comfortable to use out of the box, but where the Toyama has an eased choil, the Akebono's is polished. Both have nicely treated spines and are similarly finished on the blade. Obviously, the Akebono comes with a very nice handle, where the Toyama is lacking, but does everything I need it to.
I've not had the Akebono long enough to speak to the reactivity. Toyama has an amazing heat treat. I've not had the Akebono on the stones except for a quick strop when it arrived but the edge is holding up without any problems. I have little doubt that Shiraki is every bit the equal in the heat treat category.

I hope this provides a little info on these two very nice knives. I'm glad I have them both.
Kit Craft

Re: Toyama, Akebono 240 comparison

Post by Kit Craft »

Hum, after this comparison I think I like the idea of the Akebono better. Thanks for comparing them. (I will practice restraint anyway, new knives on not on the table for some time to come and when they are it will be a Honyaki...)
cjmeik

Post by cjmeik »

David, thanks for taking the time to write this out. Very helpful.

I have three Toyamas and LOVE each one, largely for the reasons you stated. I also have a KS. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is its low (to me) height. The Akebono seems like a potentially strong solution to that complaint but I'd likely sell the KS to buy the Akebono. I'm not sure that's a winning proposition.

By the way, when did you get your Toyama? It's seems noticeably curvier than mine that is from a recent batch. Could just be that it's sitting next to a flatter knife...

Personally, I'm not too concerned about fit and finish never noticed any issue with my Toyamas fnf until you mentioned it in comparison to the Akebono. I certainly wouldnt have paid more for my Toyama had it been offered with better fnf.

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on performance/steel compared to the Toyama as you get more time with it.

Thanks again for writing up you initial impressions!
J david

Post by J david »

I've had the Toyama for a couple of years now. I am going to try to use the Akebono as much as possible for the next couple of weeks to get a better feel for it. I hope to be able to expand on my early impressions soon.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

J david wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:26 am I've had the Toyama for a couple of years now. I am going to try to use the Akebono as much as possible for the next couple of weeks to get a better feel for it. I hope to be able to expand on my early impressions soon.
Looking forward to it.
Organized

Post by Organized »

When I owned both Toyama and akebono simultaneously I found Toyama be the better all arounder and akebono better for moving through dense foods(great potato slicer). Personally, akebono was more reactive than Toyama. I didn’t like the akebono balance point(heavy handle). Much preferred sharpening akebono over Toyama. I sorta wanna get a Akatsuki, but unfortunately the balance point would be about the same if not worse.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Organized wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:34 pm When I owned both Toyama and akebono simultaneously I found Toyama be the better all arounder and akebono better for moving through dense foods(great potato slicer). Personally, akebono was more reactive than Toyama. I didn’t like the akebono balance point(heavy handle). Much preferred sharpening akebono over Toyama. I sorta wanna get a Akatsuki, but unfortunately the balance point would be about the same if not worse.
See, I am the other way around. What you describe makes me like the idea of the Akebono even more...Damn it. I don't need another knife.
J david

Post by J david »

Kit Craft wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:02 pm
Organized wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:34 pm When I owned both Toyama and akebono simultaneously I found Toyama be the better all arounder and akebono better for moving through dense foods(great potato slicer). Personally, akebono was more reactive than Toyama. I didn’t like the akebono balance point(heavy handle). Much preferred sharpening akebono over Toyama. I sorta wanna get a Akatsuki, but unfortunately the balance point would be about the same if not worse.
See, I am the other way around. What you describe makes me like the idea of the Akebono even more...Damn it. I don't need another knife.
At this point, if I could only keep one, it would be the Toyama. The Akebono is among the very best I have used but, the Toyama suits me a little better I think. The margin is narrow. Still very little time with the Akebono and this is subject to change.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

J david wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:15 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:02 pm
At this point, if I could only keep one, it would be the Toyama. The Akebono is among the very best I have used but, the Toyama suits me a little better I think. The margin is narrow. Still very little time with the Akebono and this is subject to change.
I don't think you would be alone in your sentiment either. I have hear many, many people put the Toyama at the top of their list as their best all round performer. I tend to be the odd one out though and have started shooting for the curve! Trying to get ahead of things will bite me in the ass one day.

Saving up for an Ikeda Honyaki anyway. :mrgreen:
Organized

Post by Organized »

I love the idea of an ikeda honyaki! That being said Toyama is more workhorsey and akebono is more of a finesse knife(although it could be somewhat workhorsey too).
I like having a thicker power cutter to use next to a more precision oriented cutter. That’s how I would characterize this duo.