Shapton Professional 2000

Jeff B

Re: Shapton Professional 2000

Post by Jeff B »

The Shapton 2k is one of the best on the market in that grit, been using it for 6 years now. I've tried a few other 2ks but the Shapton always rises back to the top and the others are forced out of town.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Can’t wait to try mine!!!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I hope you like it, Spence. It isn't a perfect stone but it is one of the better compromises that I have found. Does everything I want it to well while feeling pretty decent. :)
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Chefspence wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:22 pm Can’t wait to try mine!!!
I think you'll be most impressed with the edge it gives you and how fast it works. The feel is just ok but very good for a Shapton. I sold my Green Brick after I bought the Shapton only to buy another GB again several years later out of curiosity that I might have missed something the first time. I used it one time and sold it again! The Shapton is just better all around, even on Euro stuff to me.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:34 pm
I think you'll be most impressed with the edge it gives you and how fast it works. The feel is just ok but very good for a Shapton. I sold my Green Brick after I bought the Shapton only to buy another GB again several years later out of curiosity that I might have missed something the first time. I used it one time and sold it again! The Shapton is just better all around, even on Euro stuff to me.
I haven’t used enough stones to understand feel quite yet. It will be my first splash and go stone. I hope it’s at least something that works for me.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Kit Craft wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:25 pm I hope you like it, Spence. It isn't a perfect stone but it is one of the better compromises that I have found. Does everything I want it to well while feeling pretty decent. :)
Well I’m sure it’ll work well, and it’s what I’m looking for in a stone, splash n go.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Chefspence wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:41 pm
I haven’t used enough stones to understand feel quite yet. It will be my first splash and go stone. I hope it’s at least something that works for me.
I think it will work just fine for you, there are very few that have ever complained about this stone. Well if this is your first Shapton and splash-n-go then this just might be the beginning for you with this one in understanding feel.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Oh yes Spence,the Shapton pro 2k will put a :D on your face. I sure do like mine a lot.I think it is one of the most practical splash and go stone out on the market.
Bbuth7575

Post by Bbuth7575 »

I have Jeff's GB as well as the Shapton 2K. My Wusthofs respond better to the GB but my j-knives prefer the SP2K. It makes quick work of whatever I put on it.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Bbuth7575 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:48 pm
I have Jeff's GB as well as the Shapton 2K. My Wusthofs respond better to the GB but my j-knives prefer the SP2K. It makes quick work of whatever I put on it.
The GB didn't really like my Henkels but I didn't like them either and now they're gone two. The GB is a good stone, but using J-knives 99% of the time, I just didn't use it enough to keep it around. Spent the money on something funner! :D
False Cast

Post by False Cast »

Thanks for the great review. Good pics to describe the stone! I need the 2k to fit between my 1k and 5k (both of which I adore).
old onion

Post by old onion »

False Cast wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:07 pm Thanks for the great review. Good pics to describe the stone! I need the 2k to fit between my 1k and 5k (both of which I adore).
You don't have the 2k yet? Oh man,it's easily the best stone in the series,my opinion anyways.This stone alone has made me a better sharpener but I can't explain that.It just clicks with me.
False Cast

Post by False Cast »

old onion wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:00 am You don't have the 2k yet? Oh man,it's easily the best stone in the series,my opinion anyways.This stone alone has made me a better sharpener but I can't explain that.It just clicks with me.
Well, if I wasn't going to pull the trigger before, (and I was)... that's good to hear!