The New Tip Champ

Kit Craft

Re: The New Tip Champ

Post by Kit Craft »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:13 am

:lol: It set a new standard for the word laser for me. It made an HD2 feel wedge prone. What?! Ha. Although, it does feel more fragile for the same reason.
See this is where I differ and am glad I decide to go the other route! I appreciate this responses too! I tend to gravitate toward knives that are just every so slightly chunkier than a laser. I don't think I would like to go the other way! I will still try out a Shibata knife one day though!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

With some of the new stuff coming out it almost makes the HD look like a mid weight. Between Shibata, Takamura and now the R2 yahiko, there is certainly another class. If the HD is a laser, these must me a micro...
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:03 am With some of the new stuff coming out it almost makes the HD look like a mid weight. Between Shibata, Takamura and now the R2 yahiko, there is certainly another class. If the HD is a laser, these must me a micro...
Agreed. I have a Takamura and it is thin, thin, thin.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The Shibata is actually heavier than the HD2, but I think it's because of the handle. The blade does seem to be thinner. But fragile? I haven't found it to be so. AS steel and it does seem to microchip more than the HD steel. With good technique it's not an issue.

Would I recommend to a pro over the HD? Probably not. The HD does seem tougher. For a home cook I'd definitely recommend the Shibata instead, esp after the price increase in the HD.
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I waiting to try this knife compared to the hd/w2 lasers, but at the price point, I'd much rather have this than the hd. And with AS...
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am The Shibata is actually heavier than the HD2, but I think it's because of the handle. The blade does seem to be thinner. But fragile? I haven't found it to be so. AS steel and it does seem to microchip more than the HD steel. With good technique it's not an issue.

Would I recommend to a pro over the HD? Probably not. The HD does seem tougher. For a home cook I'd definitely recommend the Shibata instead, esp after the price increase in the HD.
My HD2 is pretty heavy for what it is and because it is undersized BUT mine has an ebony handle, which I assume is what is making the difference.

Regardless, when I finally pull the trigger on a Shibata it will probably be the AS because I really don't dig R2.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:47 am

:lol: It set a new standard for the word laser for me. It made an HD2 feel wedge prone. What?! Ha. Although, it does feel more fragile for the same reason.
See this is where I differ and am glad I decide to go the other route! I appreciate this responses too! I tend to gravitate toward knives that are just every so slightly chunkier than a laser. I don't think I would like to go the other way! I will still try out a Shibata knife one day though!
Ha, I love it Kit. As I wrote that, I knew this exact post would come from you. I hope that isn't offensive, as I didn't view it was a negative expectation myself when it crossed my mind. The predictability you and a few others have often help me gauge where your perspective and reviews come from. That, as we know, can make a big difference.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am The Shibata is actually heavier than the HD2, but I think it's because of the handle. The blade does seem to be thinner. But fragile? I haven't found it to be so. AS steel and it does seem to microchip more than the HD steel. With good technique it's not an issue.

I agree on all of this Jeffry.

I believe it is both the handle and it is slightly larger in size as it holds its height more all the way down and it is a little longer. At the spine, they have to be decently similar (or at least not drastically different), but the AS has a higher grind keeping that thinness behind the edge much higher into it. I noted it feels fragile upon first inspection, but I haven't noticed that to actually be the case at all yet. Although, I do believe solid technique will matter that much more with the AS than the HD2. I do have a feeling the AS will micro chip quicker as well, but also hold its edge that much longer than the HD2, but that's an assumption with my limited use. So far, it has gone head to head with an HD2 in both an apple and a few sweet potatoes tonight. It took both on like they were nothing. The potatoes felt cooked as it went through so easily. The HD2 would actual begin to stall out and wedge without a slight forward movement with the same amount of pressure. The same happened splitting the apples. My Shibata R2 has performed much the same as the AS. Shibata is on his game with lasers.

At the moment, I'd have the same recommendation. Home cook, especially one with a few other light / middle weights in their bag to grab if an ingredient was a concern, the AS. A pro, I may go the HD2 route as it is less reactive and I'm assuming more durable.
Last edited by MisoSatisfried on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

That said, I do prefer the profile of the HD2 more myself. The Shibata in an oversized HD2 profile would be a dreeeeaaam, ha.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:47 am

Ha, I love it Kit. As I wrote that, I knew this exact post would come from you. I hope that isn't offensive, as I didn't view it was a negative expectation myself when it crossed my mind. The predictability you and a few others have often help me gauge where your perspective and reviews come from. That, as we know, can make a big difference.
Hah, no I don't find it offensive at all. I am fairly predictable at about everything I do.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am The Shibata is actually heavier than the HD2, but I think it's because of the handle...
Being 15mm+/- longer will make it feel slightly heavier too. Shibata runs long were the HD runs short.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.