The New Tip Champ

jbart65

The New Tip Champ

Post by jbart65 »

Shibata 240 AS.

I never used a Shibata until I got this one last month. Didn't think I'd like the Kotetsu profile and I am not a big fan of powdered metals. Once I saw one of his knives in AS, I jumped.

Holy heck, batman! This thing cuts! Thinnest tip I think I've encountered. And just really thin overall. Mine weighs about 5.5 ounces.

Honestly, I think it cuts better than any laser I've used, including the Kono HD2 and Kono W#2. Just glides through everything and shaves the thinnest whatever. Beats out previous favs such as the Konos, the KS and the Yahiko Shimo 210.

Downsides? Not sure yet. Need to use a bit more on tougher ingredients. Oddly, the knife seems somewhat ... cold to me despite excellent fit and finish. Very nice handle, too. It seems to lack some of the "warmth" of the Kono lasers. Can't really put my finger on it, and the performance makes me foreget it.
Jeffry B
Kit Craft

Re: The New Tip Champ

Post by Kit Craft »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Jeffry and I am looking forward to hearing more after you spend so more time with it. I thought about picking this one up but the profile did not speak to me. More laser like than a Kono, not sure I would like that. What I like about kono is that they have a bit more meat in their grind than other lasers and I mean the slightest little bit. This threw me off at first but I am starting to love it. Though, this makes me consider what I am missing. I think for this one I will live vicariously through you. Too many knives in the kitchen at the moment, breaking my own rules.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Yeah.... I'd say you're spot on Jeff. Extremely similar (sans metallurgy) to my experiences with the Kotetsu K Tip and my Kashima....

I've gotta say... I think Shibata-san's certainly got it dialed in right now.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

How much flex is there on the blade?
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

A little flex, Mike. I did compare to my Koishi and Tanaka Sekiso. My Koishi and obviously my Tanaka are stiffer by comparison. But I didn't notice any flex when I was actually cutting. The knife just goes thru so easily. Something I will pay more attention to.

Kit: The Shibata AS is 5.5 oz to around 4.8 oz for the Kono lasers. The Shibata is a bit longer, though, and the handle might weigh a bit more. I wouldn't be surprised if the blade is thinner. I think it's even thinner than the Yoshimi 240 that is on a hosted passaround.

While the tip is delicate, I did not find it as delicated feeling as my Koishi. Nor have I felt the knife has to be babied. So laserish all right, but not fragile.

Is it for me? I don't know. I like lasers, can't say I love them. This one will stay with me awhile, though.

Yep, Rob. Shibata is dialed in. I'd argue that this is the laser to beat. AS steel. Stainless cladding. Great tip. Nice handle. Good all-round profile. Not gotta see if it stands the test of some time.
Jeffry B
slobound

Post by slobound »

Jeffry, have you tried the Kotetsu ever? In my limited experience, it is the thinnest tip I've used. I'm wondering if the AS has a similar thinness to the tip because everything you've said about the AS rings true for me on the Kotetsu. I'm loving the Shibata knives!
-- Garrick
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

I believe it Jeffry! I like the tip of the Kotetsu more than my HD2 and Migaki. Shibata is on his game!
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Nada, Garrick. Based on what you and Rob and Dave say, this is a Shabata signature. Color me very impressed.

Funny thing is, I never really utilized tips for much before discovering J knives almost two years ago. Most of my knives could not do really fine stuff. I mostly used the middle of the blade for mostly basic cuts.

Post J knives (PJK), I use the tip for very fine or intricate cuts. I make salads a lot and it gives me a lot more control over contrasting textures. Tonite, for example, I cut carrots for a salad on the diagonal for paperthin slices. Normally I use a peeler but I never liked the texture or shape.

The Shibata did it rapidly and with ease.

I also use the heel of my knives more in ways I never did.

The oldest known human instrument, in the right hands of a smith and in the right hands of a cook, is an amazing thing.
Last edited by jbart65 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jeffry B
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I feel much the same about my Kashima. I would take it any day over a Konosuke laser.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Lepus wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:35 am I feel much the same about my Kashima. I would take it any day over a Konosuke laser.
I am usually not a big fan of lasers, but Shibata is at the top of my need to try list.
Julito

Post by Julito »

I also own this knife. I agree the tip is great (although I dont have much to compare it too). Something to consider is that although the tip performs well, because the knife is somewhat large, its further away and "slightly" harder to manipulate it for precision work. Good knife skills and a generous pinch grip mitigate this.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I've been very interested in this knife, definately on my hit list! Just need to start clearing
house of the lesser used knives before the wife will let me jump on another!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
limpet

Post by limpet »

The Shibata AS is my latest purchase, but it’s still waiting for me in its box. I have a bunch of other knives to try out first. Yes, I’m ... not sane. ;)

Anyways, jakkonoise posts a lot of Shibata photos and clips on IG, if you´re interested.

Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Looks great with the patina on the core steel
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

As much as i like the kashima, i still kind of want to get a classic shibata in his own style.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Cutuu wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:55 pm As much as i like the kashima, i still kind of want to get a classic shibata in his own style.
--
I've got the 180mm Kotetsu Bunka and I love it...that tip!

Watch Eduardo Castro's demo...

https://scontent-mia3-2.cdninstagram.co ... 6288_n.mp4
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

gladius wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 pm
Cutuu wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:55 pm As much as i like the kashima, i still kind of want to get a classic shibata in his own style.
--
I've got the 180mm Kotetsu Bunka and I love it...that tip!

Watch Eduardo Castro's demo...

https://scontent-mia3-2.cdninstagram.co ... 6288_n.mp4
great video! The jazz really went well with the demo :ugeek:
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

The Shibata AS just went head to head in an apple chopping challenge with an HD2. I think I may have to sell my HD2.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:30 pm The Shibata AS just went head to head in an apple chopping challenge with an HD2. I think I may have to sell my HD2.
Oh shiiiiiit! I can't wait try this thing. I've had three Kono lasers in my grip and am ready to try something different. Amazing enough is that it's an AS core... everyone please hurry up and get it to me :lol:
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Chefspence wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:10 am
MisoSatisfried wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:30 pm The Shibata AS just went head to head in an apple chopping challenge with an HD2. I think I may have to sell my HD2.
Oh shiiiiiit! I can't wait try this thing. I've had three Kono lasers in my grip and am ready to try something different. Amazing enough is that it's an AS core... everyone please hurry up and get it to me :lol:
:lol: It set a new standard for the word laser for me. It made an HD2 feel wedge prone. What?! Ha. Although, it does feel more fragile for the same reason.