KS initial impressions

Cutuu

Re: KS initial impressions

Post by Cutuu »

You could say long or short for length or tall or short for height. Need a substitute word for one version of the word short. I can see how it could be confusing. The word short is not short of usages.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Ok.... to be more precise I meant I found myself wishing the heel height were greater... :mrgreen:

So for giggles I laid it side by side against my Kashima. They have, to the naked eye, nearly identical profiles except the KS is roughly 10 to 15 mm longer from the heel of the Kashima to the heel of the KS. Which makes my impressions about it being harder to rock all the more perplexing...

I'm never going to recommend the Kashima as a dedicated rocker but I do it adequately when I want to.

Need to spend more time with this knife. Maybe it's just the longer length I need to adjust to. Kind of unfair to compare it to the Kashima... it's more of a Doi/Tsourkan sort of blade.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Rob I just read my post and realized it probably sounded kind of duchy, as if i was talking to you. But i was just kidding and pointing out that short can be used both ways.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

No worries man. Honestly? When I read your post I said to myself... yeah... he's right.

Kind of eye opening though when I put the Kashima ontop of the KS. Nearly identical profiles except for the length. (From heel to tip. That is :mrgreen: )
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Robstreperous wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:47 am No worries man. Honestly? When I read your post I said to myself... yeah... he's right.

Kind of eye opening though when I put the Kashima ontop of the KS. Nearly identical profiles except for the length. (From heel to tip. That is :mrgreen: )
I agree with the profiles. When i first got the ks, i thought iwould need to surely sell one. It makes you appreciate what shiba did with the kashima. There differences still make them quite different knives. Oddly enough, after getting the ks i really appreciated the kashima even more.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Damn you all...I had the kashima out of my mind...

As for heel height I say blade width as it is less confusing, I think. Wide/narrow.
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

I have to agree with an earlier comment, stock handle hinders the knife a little, even though install is very good, but the handle is a little rough and I really like tapered handles feel ... but that could be personal preference only.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 am As for heel height I say blade width as it is less confusing, I think. Wide/narrow.
---
Long, wide and thick - short, narrow and thin.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Barashka wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:48 am I have to agree with an earlier comment, stock handle hinders the knife a little, even though install is very good, but the handle is a little rough and I really like tapered handles feel ... but that could be personal preference only.
I have grown to like the handle. Yeah, it is rough feeling but it is comfortable in use. I am not super handle picky though. It is no Studio Khii handle though!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Robstreperous wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:55 pm Ok.... to be more precise I meant I found myself wishing the heel height were greater...
I probably should have assumed that.

It's interesting, when you first look at a KS you think, dang, not tall, even when you first pick it up the thought process leads you to think there will be an issue with height, yet in practical use, I have never had a want for more. It is noticable visually, but in utility, not so much, or at least in use I have never had a want for an extra 5 or 10mm.

IMO, that is part of the charm, it accomplishes so much in that 48mm... everything from release to ease of cutting.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:59 am
Barashka wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:48 am I have to agree with an earlier comment, stock handle hinders the knife a little, even though install is very good, but the handle is a little rough and I really like tapered handles feel ... but that could be personal preference only.
I have grown to like the handle. Yeah, it is rough feeling but it is comfortable in use. I am not super handle picky though. It is no Studio Khii handle though!
Even after oiling and sanding a few times it still maintains that rough/grippy feel. I have not decided if I like it or not, at some point it may get some nice stabilized Birch and a blond buffalo horn.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 am

Even after oiling and sanding a few times it still maintains that rough/grippy feel. I have not decided if I like it or not, at some point it may get some nice stabilized Birch and a blond buffalo horn.
Yeah, I understand that! I have really grown to like ebony and burnt chestnut rather than simple ho wood etc. However, I like skinnier D shaped handles that are on the short side. Like a Santoku or even petty handle on a 240+ mm gyuto. I guess that has to do with my super exaggerated pinch grip which shoves a longer handle into my forearm. Problem is, I never see custom makers who actually make D handles. I had asked a few in the past and the answer was 'maybe later'. :cry: Oh well, I likely won't rehandle it anyway!
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 am
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:59 am
I like it when I hold it by the handle, I have other knives in D handles as well and they all feel comfy, but if I try pinch grip ... something is just not working for me. Not sure if I'm not supposed to pinch grip something this long or that's just the tradeoff in this case (better steel for meh handle).
I haven't tried oiling it, or sanding in fact, maybe I can get rid of the step in it that way.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Cutuu wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:03 pm Spealing of tge tip rob are you speaking of thinness or overall enjoyability of the tip. The kashima on mine is thinner and more precise, not necessarily better though.
Hey Cutuu. Sorry for the slow response. My impression was based on how nimble it felt and easily it cut product --- yet it still gave nice feedback and a nice sturdy feel. It's thin but not dainty. When I had that thought I was using the tip to score the greener ends fo scallions lengthwise before dicing them.

In case you haven't heard... I really love my Kashima too ... such a thin and precise tip. At this particular moment in time it's my favorite knife. Over the last couple of months though if i've developed one nagging nit against it (criticism is too strong a word) it's that it's a delicate knife.

Sometimes I get the vague impression from it I'm out on the high seas in a skulling shell when what I really need is a war canoe. (OK. A bit over dramatic but you get the point)

The KS" tip I found to be a really nice balance. Thin as all get out but sturdy..
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Totally agree Rob
Unsharp

Post by Unsharp »

Anyone know where I can get a NiB KS other than from the Hacho site? Their price seems a little steep, even if it comes with a Masamoto saya (which I'm not totally sure it does).
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Unsharp wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:19 pm Anyone know where I can get a NiB KS other than from the Hacho site? Their price seems a little steep, even if it comes with a Masamoto saya (which I'm not totally sure it does).
If 240mm, no. You could post a WTB add here or on the other forums as a lot of people bought some recently. You might find someone who has buyers remorse or simply wanted to check the knife out in person and didn't like it. Rather, they may be NIB or very slightly used. Worth a shot.

If you are cool with a 270mm then Korin and JCK have them in stock.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I still have a suspicion there will be more coming... Patience is the name of the game in the knife world.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:25 pm I still have a suspicion there will be more coming... Patience is the name of the game in the knife world.
I have been told that about other knives...I've been waiting for like three years now. :lol: But in this case I totally agree. Too many batches came in too fast through more than a few dealers for that to be NOS, I think.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I did not hear suggestions the last lot that hit the dealers were NOS.
These were definitely new knives, recently made. Not NOS for sure.
There are several floating around the forums. 2 on KKF yesterday at correct, not inflated, prices.