KS initial impressions

Kit Craft

Re: KS initial impressions

Post by Kit Craft »

The funny thing is that more than a few of you guys told me that I need to try a KS ages ago. Well...seems everyone was right. :D
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

So I guess I missed the part where we discusssed the lacquer finish on the blade? Kit did yours have lacquer? I noticed mine developing splotchy patina so I took some acetone to it and sure enough. Just bringing her back up to a shine with some simichrome now.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Yeah there's definetly a laquer. I left mine on. I dont mind breaking the knife in with a laquer and letting it wear off naturally.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:16 pm So I guess I missed the part where we discusssed the lacquer finish on the blade? Kit did yours have lacquer? I noticed mine developing splotchy patina so I took some acetone to it and sure enough. Just bringing her back up to a shine with some simichrome now.
Yeah, I totally didn't even think about mentioning that as I thought it was the norm. Damn near all of my mono carbon knives came with lacquer. Sorry, I didn't give it much thought. Removing it is the first thing I did when I pulled it out of the box. No shining for me, she has a very stable patina already. Not a very vivid one but stable nonetheless.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

So another week gone and another edge tested. I love the Aizu edge on white steel in general and it is great on the KS but the Takashima edge I am testing seems to be working out well also. A lot less bite but still more bite than my Kitayama. I've not used the edge long enough to see how well it holds up under use but in general I find that my Takashima leaves an edge on white #2 in the 59-61 range that loses bite about 25% faster than my Aizu. I suppose it does not lose bite faster but the edge degrades differently as it has a more refined edge to start with, or something like that. I don't know. The point is, the edge dulls differently. However, touching up on a Takashima takes less metal than on the Aizu (demon...) as well. Give and take.

I did play around with an Oouchi edge but that came off quickly, didn't match at all. Which means I probably won't like the edge off of my Hideriyama, which I prefer for cosmetic finishes anyway. I bet it takes well to a Yaginoshima Asagi edge though! Everything seems to. The Suita is always finer than I like to go...it it is so freaking hard lol.

I think I am going to have to order a few new finishers just to play with the edge on the KS a bit more...hah. *Excuses
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

As I do not have any natural stones yet myself, that last post sounds really expensive Kit. :lol:
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 pm As I do not have any natural stones yet myself, that last post sounds really expensive Kit. :lol:
To an extent but I am a big koppa and or broken stone buyer. :lol: Saves a lot of money. Thin stones too. I make it more expensive than necessary too by buying more than one of each type of stone. Ara-to, Naka-to, Ao-to, Awase-to etc. You don't have to do that.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

A note on the KS
15 pounds of carrots
45# onion
15# bell pepper
10# broccoli
25# chuck flap for stir fry (super thin)
All this week
Still cuts smoothly through pepper skins
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:49 pm A note on the KS
15 pounds of carrots
45# onion
15# bell pepper
10# broccoli
25# chuck flap for stir fry (super thin)
All this week
Still cuts smoothly through pepper skins
Great, thanks for chiming in. I just can not go through that much product in a week! But I do find mine has good edge retention for white steel. :) Not a knock either, I own A LOT of white steel!
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Yeah... pros can really pound out a knife edge life short order
It's going in the stones this weekend then the real abuse
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Sorry, Kit, I am just poaching off your thread as I don't want to create another KS thread.

I really want to hate this knife. In fact, I have been in camp KS opposition since I used my first one 5 years ago. It only lasted a few weeks before I flipped it. At the time it was way too much flat and I did not like the lack of height...it was just meh. Either I changed, the original KS I had sucked or this new one is really good....at the end of the day I flopped my original disdain and I am really liking this knife.

At 2.8mm above the heel this gives a good amount of surface area to make it comfortable in a pinch but has reasonable distal taper. It also transitions to a thin but not overly delicate edge. There is no flex in the back 2/3 but can get some flex with about 1.5# of pressure in the front third. This makes the back of the knife great for pounding through harder tasks and the front third as svelte as needed. Even though 250mm in edge length, I echo Kits comments that this really does feel like a smaller knife, and that is a good thing.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

No worries at all. This thread was actually started as a single comment in another thread and moved here. I didn't even make it, lol. I don't know if I will do a formal review at this point as I am liking this discussion group thing we have going on.

That said, I have heard others say that their KS, the old one, was only 47mm tall. Mine is whatever I said on the first page. I think around 48.5 or something like that. You might not think so but to me sometimes 1mm is enough of a difference but I like short and tall knives anyway. No preference so long as it fits the knife. Also, it seems there was some production issues awhile back. There are dozens of people out there claiming to have had a very thick KS but I have only seen a handful of real photos. IDK, I have only ever used mine.

I am content, I can say that. My poor HD2 hasn't seen the board in weeks! I'll have to give her some use this weekend.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Like many men, I have size envy Kit. Mine is 47 sadly. :lol:

Edit, I tend to like tall knives... this one may not stick around.

Also, did you guys get sayas with yours? Or is that something they dropped with the new stock?
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:45 pm Like many men, I have size envy Kit. Mine is 47 sadly. :lol:

Edit, I tend to like tall knives... this one may not stick around.

Also, did you guys get sayas with yours? Or is that something they dropped with the new stock?
I got a saya and while it came with a pin it is friction fit. It clicks right in place!

And I went back and check and I listed it at 48.26. Mind you that is just a quick measurement with a ruler so I could be off a quarter mil or so. It does feel more narrow in hand that it looks.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Hmm... I'm saya-less.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I am also saya less....time to make a call to the ginger ninja.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

I'm also no saya...

If I keep (strong inclination to) then new handle and saya
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Yeah, it just depends on where you got it from. Some places it comes with a saya. I didnt get a saya either, which im a little bummed about, but im really digging the ks
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

When I bought my KS two years ago, no saya. Mine ran a bit north of 48mm at the heel.
Jeffry B
Eversor13

Post by Eversor13 »

I just received one of these, I wasn't expecting the lacquer on it. What are some chemicals people use to strip it? I've heard acetone, anything else? Acetone on a paper towel?