KS initial impressions

Kit Craft

Re: KS initial impressions

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:29 pm Curious if these are going to keep on being released in small batches or if this was it.
Korin sold two batches and from my understanding has another coming. Blueway had two batches too, I think. Some 270s also came in stock at JCK. Seems like a lot of have found just laying around. Plus they seem to have done the Kanji differently and from those I have talked to who have owned new and old, the grind is more laser like now. Makes me wonder if this batch was recently made as opposed to old stock as was suggested by many. I think they are going to be a constant thing but that is 100% speculation.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I expect the shibata kashima to be even more nimble, hyper nimble, than the ks but lacking the confidence that the ks inspires. I would expect tbe kashima to whisper even quieter than the ks, but lack the ks's famed versatility.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Im curious kit about the grind differences you've heard of. Can you exbound that.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

See, I am not sure I would like that. I have been looking for something that was very laser like without being a true laser. The HD2 is a lasers laser but feels confident. This KS has a slightly more confident feel than the HD2, which I like.

From a few sources and I simply mean forum members I have read that the older KS was not really laser like at all. Having never used an older one I could not say. However, from some choil shots I have seen some KS models were quite a bit thicker than others. I don't know if that was just a sloppy run or what. At the same time I have seen some shots of and heard tales of older KS's that act just like mine so honestly, I don't know. :lol:

Sometimes photos can be deceiving for one and for two sometimes QC issues happen. On top of that, people exaggerate and or remember things differently after having not owned a knife for a long time. However, I do know there are people on this board and the other that have a new KS and an old one! I would love to hear them chime in.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I could see someome describing the old KS as being pretty laserlike. Kit's description would be perfectly fair whether the knife has the same old grind or a slightly thinner but similar approximation, it would just depend on his interpretation.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Yeah id be interested in tbe comparison of the two(new vs old), also.

Have you noticed any differences Lepus?
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I didn't try to get a new KS. They're a little rich for my blood considering what they are and I'm happy with my Doi and Shibata.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Lepus wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:49 pm I could see someome describing the old KS as being pretty laserlike. Kit's description would be perfectly fair whether the knife has the same old grind or a slightly thinner but similar approximation, it would just depend on his interpretation.
Good to know.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

For those wondering about edge retention, the edge is still fine (the factory edge I might add) after 12 meal preps averaging 15 minutes each. No stropping as of yesterday. That is already better than the Ginga which needs to hit a strop at about 9-10 meal preps. That is good enough for testing the factory edge, time to put my own on it. Need to fix the oddness of the bevel on the right side at the tip anyway. Plus I might ease it just ever so slightly so it does not stick into the damn board so easily when rocking herbs! Yeah, yeah, gasp...lol. Okay so that is an exaggeration but seriously as is this thing is not for those who are into rocking. It is long enough that you can rock small things but the tip does not allow for much height. As I am not really a rocker that does not matter to me but in testing it I can see how that would irritate someone who is.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I found edge retention to be as expected for white steel. I did have problems doing lots of tomatoes for salsa. The knife still cut extremely well, but the tomato skins gave it trouble after a short while.

MY KS was also an above-average rocker. Herbs were no problem. Carrots were easy too.
Jeffry B
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:19 am I found edge retention to be as expected for white steel. I did have problems doing lots of tomatoes for salsa. The knife still cut extremely well, but the tomato skins gave it trouble after a short while.

MY KS was also an above-average rocker. Herbs were no problem. Carrots were easy too.
I am not a rocker so maybe I loot at it wrong, idk. None of my J-knives seem very good at it compared to my Germans. Then again, I am not good at it. You are a rocker, I'll take your word for it. How high off the board would you say is good before you dig in with the tip? My KS gets about 2 inches, give or take. I have 180s that get that high.

The thing about edge retention is that lots and lots and lots of people have told me it has the worst edge retention of any white # 2 knife they have ever used. I do not find that to be the case at this point. I agree, it seems more or less average. Then you have a few who claim it is better than PM steel which I, in no way, buy.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I am not a big rocker anymore, Kit, but I use a lot of fresh herbs. And sometimes I rock piles of already diced onions.

If I recall, I think I tended to rock herbs with the front part of the KS blade. I tested rocking with other ingredients, but I usually cut them down to size before rocking (dividing potatoes lengthwise by thirds, for example). I suspect the KS couldn't go real high, though.

Best rocker I have as a J knife is easily my Tanaka Sekiso. It's really the only J knife I use when cutting herbs. Rocks almost as well as a big-belied Euro knife like my Messermeister Stealth Elite Oliva 9-inch chef's.

Others that have been good at rocking are the Kanehiro AS and Kamo R2.
Jeffry B
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Ah, okay that makes sense. Like I said, I don't rock much at all and suck at it, lol. I am a push cutter so it could absolutely be me! I never rock anything with the front when I do it on occasion. Well, more the front than the back but I would call it closer to the middle. I will have to play around with it.

That damn surgical tip scares me. I just know I am going to tip it. Won't be the first knife... :oops:

Edit: As an aside, this knife is solidly in my do not sell list but I don't know where it comes in place between 1-4...I have a lot of favorites. :mrgreen: Might have to pick up the 270 from when it comes in stock next month...

PS: Just moved up the blade a bit and that helped my technique so thank you for that. :D
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I never tipped my KS. I've tipped several other knives, including one knife twice. That tip is sturdier than it seems, though I don't know how!
Jeffry B
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:46 pm I never tipped my KS. I've tipped several other knives, including one knife twice. That tip is sturdier than it seems, though I don't know how!
I have lanced a few potatoes still in the bag. :lol: I did the same with the HD2 when I got it from not being used to the length and keeping my potatoes on the prep table. I think I am far enough away from the wall to not hit it and even still it is sheet rock so I 'should' be okay! However, I can not speak for the dogs plowing into me and knocking the knife off of the board or out of my hand. It has happened in the past. Thankfully I still have toes.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Blew through 5 pounds of walnuts today without issue. No rolling. :) This thing is more of a war horse than a laser horse yet it is laser like. Loving it.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Ok...now I REALLY want to know what you'd think of my Ikeda AS 250 in comparison to the KS...hahaha.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

salemj wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:27 pm Ok...now I REALLY want to know what you'd think of my Ikeda AS 250 in comparison to the KS...hahaha.
You know, I almost pulled the trigger on a Shibata 240/250 the other day but I think I have had my fill for now. Back to stones. :D Between the KS and the HD2 I have more knife than I need. Though, I am still curious about the 270 KS...it is an illness.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Sharpening update: I did not need to do a touch up but I am curious so I did. Well, rather I did a lateral move or even fell backward. I had finished this KS off on my large Aizu, harder than the small variety, almost finishing stone hard and much harder than synthetic stones. Anyway, that edge was great. Bite for days but subtle and I chilled it out with a few swipes per side on crox loaded felt. However, I dropped back to the Aono, which sometimes seems finer and sometimes coarser than the Aizu. This time around it almost feels finer but it has such a sticky edge. I mean, I have described this stone as leaving "vampire bite" in the edge but this was out there. I don't think I have ever felt a 3-4k edge with this much tooth before. I don't know what it is with the heat treat on the W#2 in this KS but it takes a wicked "toothy" edge from mid grit naturals. In this case, maybe too much for me. I think Aizu and Crox on felt is the perfect finishing setup for the KS.

(My Crox says it is .3 micron btw. I got it in powder form and mixed with with rubbing alcohol in a little spray bottle. Works great, the strop drys very quickly.)

Feedback on the stones is closer to that of my Yuki than my lasers. I suppose there could be a number of factors for this. It is a more solid knife than my lasers so it feels more stiff on the stones. It might be a wee bit, and I mean a wee bit, thicker at the edge too. It is stated as being harder, like the Yuki, and I think I might actually buy that. However, I guess that could be in my head. Point is, it feels different on the stones than some of my other mono white. Not really better or worse, just different.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this thing has a very, very 'thirsty' handle. It is on day 5 of oiling and still soaking it up like a sponge. (I will go once a day for a week, once a week for a month and once a month for a year. I always do that. Then as needed.)
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Now to add some random thoughts. I see that the KS is still available a few places on the web and talking to one vendor in Japan I see that more are expected. This makes me think these are going back into full production, which I think is a good thing. Another thing that leads me to believe that is the addition of a 210/220mm KS. It would be nice to see the petty and 270 suji come back in stock. However, I think I have changed my mind on what my 'unicorn' is. If ever they bring back the KS honyaki, that will be it.