Gihei Blue#2 240mm Gyuto

jmcnelly85

Gihei Blue#2 240mm Gyuto

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I had a recent debate with a friend over the legalization of Cuban cigars that has actually made me question my involvement here on the forum. He argued that the little island is already struggling to meet the demands of the world and how even some of the master makers, known to really take their time curing the tobacco and provide expert attention to the process have started cutting corners to keep up. There's a vast number of current Cuban makers getting by simply because people will buy their cigars because it says Cuba instead of the Dominican Republic or Honduras even if the other cigars are superior. I can't help but wonder if Mel's famous review led to a surge on terayasu that they couldn't keep up with, or even how long the cult of konosuke will stick around when people start comparing their knives now to the ones from before they gained their reputation.

I've been fortunate to try some amazing knives due to the generosity of the fine folks lurking around these parts. The two standout performers that exemplified what I like in knives were the toshi hiro wakui and the Kamo R2. They are both thin edged, substantial knives with great grinds and profiles. I will take the Gihei over either of these without hesitation.

I set out to seek a one and done 240 gyuto to use at home, and I'm fairly convinced this will be the only knife I will use at home going forward. I keep seeing my work knives getting shorter and shorter and I really don't want to subject this magnificent tool to a slow death by a thousand mediocre cole slaws. It's better than that.

I recommend this knife very highly to two very distinct different sects of people. Practical minded folks that truly want one great knife, and limpet, who's collection very easily could be considered a museum of fine art. It would break my heart if this knife gets the cult following and these end up a shell of their former selves. Many thanks to the fine folks at Gihei, I hope you continue to take your time and do things right.
Needagyuto

Re: Gihei Blue#2 240mm Gyuto

Post by Needagyuto »

Hi, I found this review very helpful, thanks! Although now I want to smoke a cigar. One follow up question- are you still happy with the handle/ferrule? I’ve never used a knife with a horn ferrule, and I’m wondering how it holds up compared to pakkawood or treated wood. Thanks, Michael
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

It’s held up just fine in over a years worth of home use, no complaints in the handle/ferrule department. They both seem well done. I don’t know how that would translate to comparing pakka or other ferrules. My other knives are either western, different (non treated) woods, or plastic ferruled. I just hand wash, dry, and occasionally condition with board butter if anything seems dry and all of my handles have held up fine. Hope this helps.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Needagyuto wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:12 pm Hi, I found this review very helpful, thanks! Although now I want to smoke a cigar. One follow up question- are you still happy with the handle/ferrule? I’ve never used a knife with a horn ferrule, and I’m wondering how it holds up compared to pakkawood or treated wood. Thanks, Michael
I have handles with pakka wood, horn, resin and all have served me without issue.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I absolutely love mine. Both in pro and home use I've found this knife to be exceptional for both environments. Never seen any chipping, edges holds great, cleans up easily and the handle of course is no problem. I get excited to cut every one I grab this knife!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefspence wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:53 pm I absolutely love mine. Both in pro and home use I've found this knife to be exceptional for both environments. Never seen any chipping, edges holds great, cleans up easily and the handle of course is no problem. I get excited to cut every one I grab this knife!
When you cut everyone, eh?
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

Some interesting insight and parallels in the original post. Just look at the pre 2014 TF blades and the pre 2014 kono line up compared to the new. A lot has changed in a few short years.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:49 am I recommend this knife very highly to two very distinct different sects of people. Practical minded folks that truly want one great knife, and limpet
:lol:

I hadn't seen this review. It is pretty amusing!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've developed quite a fondness for B#2. I do wish the Gihei were a bit lighter. I strongly gravitate to knives between 6.5 to 7.5 oz.

Helluva knife, though.
Jeffry B
easilver

Post by easilver »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:39 am I've developed quite a fondness for B#2. I do wish the Gihei were a bit lighter. I strongly gravitate to knives between 6.5 to 7.5 oz.

Helluva knife, though.
Jeffry--mine is 7.7 oz. I bet Mark can find one in stock that's under 7.5 oz. But, I think you prefer 50 mm tall and this one is 52 mm.
Ed in L.A.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I know it seems like I have a lot of midweight and mid-height knives, Ed, and I do, But I also have some biggies.

My favorite 240, the Sekiso, is just under 54 mm. My preferred 210, the Gassan B#2, is even taller at 54 mm-plus! And the best nakiri I have used is the Yuki, which is almost 60mm tall.

I almost went for the tall Matsubari 180 nakiri. If only it were somewhat lighter. Gonna try Watanabe next.

Gotta say, I appreciate the convexing that a taller knife can afford. And of course it will last longer as one sharpens over time. Tall knives don't dissuade me like short ones such as the Kono ginsan do. Loved that knife, but like you, I found it too short.
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Kit Craft wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:35 pm
Chefspence wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:53 pm I absolutely love mine. Both in pro and home use I've found this knife to be exceptional for both environments. Never seen any chipping, edges holds great, cleans up easily and the handle of course is no problem. I get excited to cut every one I grab this knife!
When you cut everyone, eh?
That's my serial killer double personality coming out. Don't listen to him!