Have you tried Carter's knives?

Carter

Re: Have you tried Carter's knives?

Post by Carter »

mauichef wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:45 pm Just arrived.
Sure is good looking!
Mahalo Carter and Steve.
Glad it got there safely, put it through the ringer. If anyone else is interested in trying out this blade while it is on tour, let me know.

Carter
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Kit Craft wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:23 pm
Steve, could you describe how his 52100 sharpens up, how they feel on the stones etc? Like, do they feel hard and glassy, firm and grippy or soft and gummy (I doubt it is the later). How does the burr like to come off on the stones? Does it like to break off or slowly degrade and just fade away etc.

Really interested in these.
From what I can remember (and after checking my notes), Carter’s treatment of 52100 felt like it fell somewhere between W#2 and B#2 on the stones. I don’t typically generate a very large burr when sharpening, but deburring was almost as easy as W#2. It didn’t come off as long thin strands. Rather, it quickly degraded with just a handful of stropping motions on the stone, and there were no remnants on the felt block (unlike my experience with AS).

In terms of feel, it was definitely not soft & gummy. They were relatively hard but not to the point of feeling glassy. I’m not great at describing things like this so I apologize for not being more helpful in that regard. For what it’s worth, the progression I used was SP1k, SP2k, SP5k and then finished on a shiro suita.
--- Steve
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

pd7077 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:31 am
Kit Craft wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:23 pm
Steve, could you describe how his 52100 sharpens up, how they feel on the stones etc? Like, do they feel hard and glassy, firm and grippy or soft and gummy (I doubt it is the later). How does the burr like to come off on the stones? Does it like to break off or slowly degrade and just fade away etc.

Really interested in these.
From what I can remember (and after checking my notes), Carter’s treatment of 52100 felt like it fell somewhere between W#2 and B#2 on the stones. I don’t typically generate a very large burr when sharpening, but deburring was almost as easy as W#2. It didn’t come off as long thin strands. Rather, it quickly degraded with just a handful of stropping motions on the stone, and there were no remnants on the felt block (unlike my experience with AS).

In terms of feel, it was definitely not soft & gummy. They were relatively hard but not to the point of feeling glassy. I’m not great at describing things like this so I apologize for not being more helpful in that regard. For what it’s worth, the progression I used was SP1k, SP2k, SP5k and then finished on a shiro suita.
That gives me a good idea, thank you!
jason

Post by jason »

Carter wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:50 pm
mauichef wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:45 pm Just arrived.
Sure is good looking!
Mahalo Carter and Steve.
Glad it got there safely, put it through the ringer. If anyone else is interested in trying out this blade while it is on tour, let me know.

Carter
I'm guessing the UK is too far?
Carter

Post by Carter »

jason wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:41 pm I'm guessing the UK is too far?
Hi Jason - Happy for it to go to you, but you would have to cover shipping on that one....I have another customer in London, he might split shipping with you.
datster

Post by datster »

I can say I am fan of Carter's work! Hope to meet in person in Chicago!

jason

Post by jason »

Carter wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:53 pm
jason wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:41 pm I'm guessing the UK is too far?
Hi Jason - Happy for it to go to you, but you would have to cover shipping on that one....I have another customer in London, he might split shipping with you.
Could give it a try. Just need to work out how much it'll be
Carter

Post by Carter »

datster wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:35 am I can say I am fan of Carter's work! Hope to meet in person in Chicago!
Thanks Don! I am planning on being in Chicago Sat-Mon, not going to Madison. Look forward to meeting all who attend.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

datster wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:35 am I can say I am fan of Carter's work! Hope to meet in person in Chicago!

Oh, I like those. :D
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Carter wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:26 am
Thanks Don! I am planning on being in Chicago Sat-Mon, not going to Madison. Look forward to meeting all who attend.
Hoping to shake your hand in Chicago too and hoping you'll have a toy for us to check out. ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:40 pm Hoping to shake your hand in Chicago too and hoping you'll have a toy for us to check out. ;)
Likewise JB! Yes planning on it.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Carter wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:46 am Here is the latest KS stlye 247mm gyuto.....more about it in my subforum.

I picked this one up last week. It’s gorgeous. At first glance it seemed a little similar to my HD2 based on the dimensions but after using it a bunch this weekend it’s quite different. It maybe cuts sort of similarly but feels different. The horizontal finishing and rounded edges and balance and everything is just perfect. It’s hard to explain but this knife just immediately felt comfortable, more so than any other knife I’ve used. The tip is super thin. I’m really digging the KS profile. I bought some pork loin today to try getting some colorful patina action. Anyway, happy customer here!
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Man I can't wait for October. I'm very much looking forward to seeing your work in person Carter.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I'm looking forward to seeing his work in September at the Westin meet in Chicago. :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Haha, maybe I meant September.
:roll:
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks guys! Jon, glad you are enjoying the knife...this one was special to me as a maker, you have one of the favorite children.

I am pretty certain that I will be coming in Sept, one thing could get in the way, but I am making best efforts to be there. I really look forward to meeting many of you in person for the first time. Are there any special requests regarding knives that I bring to the get together. I can do a KS style as shown in the photo above, I have a nice cocobolo handle and saya 180mm nakiri that is nearing completion, I also have a suji and some tall pettys, I may have a 240 kiritsuke.

I have also just ordered some W2 carbon steel and may be able to have a blade ready for September.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Carter wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:01 pm ...I have also just ordered some W2 carbon steel and may be able to have a blade ready for September.
I have a 180mm petty from Tim that is W2 and I love that steel. It seems to hold an edge forever and is not very reactive at all.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:53 pm I have a 180mm petty from Tim that is W2 and I love that steel. It seems to hold an edge forever and is not very reactive at all.
I am looking forward to experimenting with it....supposed to arrive tomorrow. I think I have developed my initial heat treat recipe...not too dissimilar from my 52100 recipe, still in the oven 7 different times. What is the preferred hardness, I have tempered my 52100 to 62-63HRC, but was thinking about taking the W2 to 64-65HRC...thoughts???
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Carter wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:22 pm
Jeff B wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:53 pm I have a 180mm petty from Tim that is W2 and I love that steel. It seems to hold an edge forever and is not very reactive at all.
I am looking forward to experimenting with it....supposed to arrive tomorrow. I think I have developed my initial heat treat recipe...not too dissimilar from my 52100 recipe, still in the oven 7 different times. What is the preferred hardness, I have tempered my 52100 to 62-63HRC, but was thinking about taking the W2 to 64-65HRC...thoughts???
The W2 I have is stated to be 62HRC and it does really well there. Takes and holds a beautiful edge with no chipping. Will it perform better at 64+...only one way to find out, but hard to see how it could get much better. ;)
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Carter wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:01 pm
I have also just ordered some W2 carbon steel and may be able to have a blade ready for September.
Now you're talking my language Carter!