Shun Blue 240mm Kiritsuke

lsboogy

Re: Shun Blue 240mm Kiritsuke

Post by lsboogy »

Dev_Zero wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:52 pm
lsboogy wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:02 pm I am searching for a Sabatier profile knife with a thin blade and great steel. A cross between a big (11") knife with kikuichi grind and white #1 steel with HAP40 hardness.
Have you found any suitors for this yet?
Nope - when I do I may stop buying knives finally. But that's also questionable
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:22 am Have you tried experimenting with fine automotive sandpaper for smoothing out knives?
I have, I went up to 12k sandpaper, which helped but not much. Then got desperate / frustrated and touched it up with my orbital sander at 3k (that quickly wore out to be much smoother) ... this really helped, though still not nearly as good as Meiji.
I may do another session of that once get the balls to put orbital sander on my $$$ knife ...
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Barashka wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:35 pm
jmcnelly85 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:22 am Have you tried experimenting with fine automotive sandpaper for smoothing out knives?
I have, I went up to 12k sandpaper, which helped but not much. Then got desperate / frustrated and touched it up with my orbital sander at 3k (that quickly wore out to be much smoother) ... this really helped, though still not nearly as good as Meiji.
I may do another session of that once get the balls to put orbital sander on my $$$ knife ...
If 3 k on the ROS mae a difference, but up to 12k by hand did not improve things, then I wonder if you spent enough time at each grit.
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

Bensbites wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:38 pm
Barashka wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:35 pm
If 3 k on the ROS mae a difference, but up to 12k by hand did not improve things, then I wonder if you spent enough time at each grit.
I, most likely, jumped to 12k grit hand sanding far to fast and so it didn't really have the effect. In fact, I may have jumped to 3k orbital too fast too ... I *really* didn't want to cause permanent damage, so was extra quick and light on pressure. I'll probably do a more serious pass soon.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I took a crack at my Shimo petty recently and it has scratches that resisted 220 grit sandpaper. You may want to go lower. Most knives are finished in the 200-400 grit range.