Kurosaki Fujin

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
jbart65

Re: Kurosaki Fujin

Post by jbart65 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:48 am

It's probably unfair of me to comment much since I didn't use the Fujin AS, but it didn't seem worldly different than Kuro's Kurouchi AS or the Richmond (later Kurosaki) laser. I just didn't feel any need to keep it.

Part of my reaction may have been result of handling the knife. The out of box edge was not especially crisp - at least by Takefu/Masakage standards - and it may have needed a fresh sharpening. The tip was thinner than the Kurouchi, but the overall grind was definitely in the Yu/Makoto wheelhouse. Quite thin till midway up the blade, when it thickened quickly in a sort of semi-convex manner.

I am sure it's an excellent knife and great performer, but I was originally looking for a great rendition of VG10 that also had killer looks. The R2 is the best cutter of all the Kuros I've used and my favorite is Richmond/Kurosaki Laser. If I could have any one Kuro it would be the laser. I regret selling mine.
Jeffry B

Edsonchen2

Post by Edsonchen2 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:36 am

Got a kurosaki As 270mm sujihiki , super sharp out of box

Edsonchen2

Post by Edsonchen2 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:37 am

Very nice made Handles , Feel very solid on hand !

Altadan

Post by Altadan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:22 pm

jbart65 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:48 am
It's probably unfair of me to comment much since I didn't use the Fujin AS, but it didn't seem worldly different than Kuro's Kurouchi AS or the Richmond (later Kurosaki) laser. I just didn't feel any need to keep it.

Part of my reaction may have been result of handling the knife. The out of box edge was not especially crisp - at least by Takefu/Masakage standards - and it may have needed a fresh sharpening. The tip was thinner than the Kurouchi, but the overall grind was definitely in the Yu/Makoto wheelhouse. Quite thin till midway up the blade, when it thickened quickly in a sort of semi-convex manner.

I am sure it's an excellent knife and great performer, but I was originally looking for a great rendition of VG10 that also had killer looks. The R2 is the best cutter of all the Kuros I've used and my favorite is Richmond/Kurosaki Laser. If I could have any one Kuro it would be the laser. I regret selling mine.
So, what's the word on you Fujin VG10's performance?
How's the rendition of the steel?
And, something I've been curious about, how is the food release on that grind and finish?

Thanks!
the curious cat

Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:21 am

And they're gone...

salemj

Post by salemj » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:46 am

Jeff B wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:32 pm
Barashka wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:36 pm
- why take AS only to hrc that blue1/white1 can handle?
You would have to ask Yu but my "assumption" would be that AS can be tougher at that hrc and still have better edge retention compared to white and blue at the same hrc. And if nothing else, in their thinking/experience it might be the better range to keep AS for the best balance of performance. Good edge retention without being "chippy".
Barashka wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:36 pm
- why not R2, as his other stellar lines do?
I can only make another assumption here. I'm no steel expert but AS may be the easier steel for them to forge and sharpen. This may have a lot to do with collaboration between Yu and Makoto as to how to best control the cost. It may also be something as simple as they wanted a carbon option, they already had the VG10 for a stainless option.

I may also just be full of shit and not have a clue...which is always a possibility! :D
I've read that AS can be one of the hardest steels to master, which just goes to show there is always conflicting information out there (because, like Jeff, I've also heard that W1 can be the hardest to master, and so on).

But my real reason for responding to this is just to reiterate that many smiths consider this a life-long process. Carter is a great example in this regard: well after his knives were very highly esteemed, he still continually emphasized that he was still improving and still had room to grow compared to what he learned in his training. Reading about other smiths, it is clear that taking a steel to very high HRC is a very special talent that can take decades to master—decades AFTER their knives and smithing abilities are already considered exemplary. As much as I deeply respect the Kurosaki brothers, I also feel it is important to emphasize that taking AS beyond 65 and having it hold up is a very, very special skill that is often a product of time and experience, and not mere talent. The same is true for W1, and B1, and so on.

Konosuke Fujiyamas are a great example of this. The smith, Kosuke, and other store fronts suggest these knives are HRC at near 65 for W1 and B1, and 63-4 for B2 (and above 65 for AS), yet most users have been happy to assume the their B2 Fujiyamas are as Mark states, at ~61 HRC. I attribute this to the fact that the heat treatments are so damn good that the steel acts and holds up as if it is still at a lower, more durable HRC despite sharpening and holding an edge like one at a much higher HRC. (I'd add T-Fs to this list: after a thorough initial sharpening, they hold up like a 61 HRC blade despite being 65, the main difference is that it was never a "secret" that they were HRC 65.) It is possible Kurosaki is getting closer to this, too, and that his knives are actually still acting like lower HRC even as he pushes the envelope above the stated claims. Or, it is possible he's not quite there yet even though he is clearly already a master smith.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.