Kurosaki Fujin

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
Altadan

Kurosaki Fujin

Post by Altadan »

Oh my,

I was wondering when the AS KU version would make it to CKTG...
This has to be one of the coolest looking knives I've seen, and the choil shot looks very, very ambitious :shock:
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Bensbites

Re: Kurosaki Fujin

Post by Bensbites »

So HOT! I have spent a ton of $$ on curly mango and other wood or else...
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Yes... ugh, the money.

Can't we pay some subscription, and start a club, where we have access to these knives... like a boat club or something? How much would that have to be p/month, if there were, say, 20 of us? Hahaha
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Altadan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:24 pm Yes... ugh, the money.

Can't we pay some subscription, and start a club, where we have access to these knives... like a boat club or something? How much would that have to be p/month, if there were, say, 20 of us? Hahaha
I have thought of starting that, Netflix for knives.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Altadan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:05 pm Oh my,

I was wondering when the AS KU version would make it to CKTG...
This has to be one of the coolest looking knives I've seen, and the choil shot looks very, very ambitious :shock:
I agree Dan.
I have been waiting for the AS to arrive!
And then I saw the choil shot.
Gotta have it!
JustinP

Post by JustinP »

I have the Fujin AS 150 petty. Super pretty knife.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The AS versions are in. I bought one by accident thinking it was the VG10 version.

Nice looking but not as nice looking as the VG 10. I returned mine, but I did notice the edge was not as crisp as what usually comes out of Takefu. Otherwise seemed like a Kurosaki.
Jeffry B
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

So Jeffry, have you tried them both?
I like the look of the VG10 too but figured that the AS might be a better knife over all.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

mauichef wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:18 pm So Jeffry, have you tried them both?
I like the look of the VG10 too but figured that the AS might be a better knife over all.
+1 on everything you said and asked
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I haven’t used either one. The VG10 would have been the first knife I bought mainly for looks. I am searching out for the ideal stainless blade, and the Fuji being a Kurosaki, i figured i’d give it a shot.

The AS has a kurouchi finish and lacks a Damascus. I could tell from the edge and profile, however, that it was not going to outperform my Kioshi, the only knife with a Kurouchi finish that I have kept. The AS Fujin was a touch flatter at the back than the Megumi, Kurosaki Kurouchi or the Kuro Láser, with a similar but perhaps thinner and more refined grind.
Jeffry B
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I plan on getting both a VG10 and an AS but that Kono Funyi popping up has put a damper on my knife funds for now. Glad Mark picked these up, they have been starting to generate a lot of buzz.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gladius

Post by gladius »

It is a good looking knife and it probably performs well.
I am torn as I recently got an Anryu AS that is a great knife and very similar.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I'm really disappointed that Yu has gone to the laser etching, I guess he and brother Makoto use the same machine.
Did I read somewhere that this knife is a collaboration between Yu and Makoto and Makoto is the sharpener of this line or did I dream this up?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I believe Makoto has been sharpening several of his brother's knives for a while.
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

Fujin always looks so good! I wonder why they chose AS this time as they didn't take it to too high hrc .. though, I'm still waiting for 270mm vg10 to come back one day.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

mauichef wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:43 pm I believe Makoto has been sharpening several of his brother's knives for a while.
I believe he has too but didn't want to just assume. We did see an evolution in Yu's grinds around the time Makoto started out on his own. I believe that Makoto has been sharpening most of Yu's knives since but have no confirmation of that. I have a feeling, suspicion, inkling ;) that there is a Kurosaki Knives Corp in the future that is the proprietorship of both brothers.

Be it as it may, Mark will be taking more of my money in the very near future! I just can't help myself... :roll:
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Barashka wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:09 pm Fujin always looks so good! I wonder why they chose AS this time as they didn't take it to too high hrc .. though, I'm still waiting for 270mm vg10 to come back one day.
Yu has been using AS for a long time and the hrc is right within the range he usually goes.
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

I meant it two-fold, I should have explained
- why take AS only to hrc that blue1/white1 can handle?
- why not R2, as his other stellar lines do?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Barashka wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:36 pm - why take AS only to hrc that blue1/white1 can handle?
You would have to ask Yu but my "assumption" would be that AS can be tougher at that hrc and still have better edge retention compared to white and blue at the same hrc. And if nothing else, in their thinking/experience it might be the better range to keep AS for the best balance of performance. Good edge retention without being "chippy".
Barashka wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:36 pm - why not R2, as his other stellar lines do?
I can only make another assumption here. I'm no steel expert but AS may be the easier steel for them to forge and sharpen. This may have a lot to do with collaboration between Yu and Makoto as to how to best control the cost. It may also be something as simple as they wanted a carbon option, they already had the VG10 for a stainless option.

I may also just be full of shit and not have a clue...which is always a possibility! :D
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

Thank you for the possible explanations, sounds like pretty good reason to me too.