Maxamet?

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
stevenkelby

Maxamet?

Post by stevenkelby »

Hi!

Any plans for any knives made with maxamet steel?

I love my kohetsu 270mm in hap40 but have a few pocket knives in maxamet and it's an even better steel.
Kalaeb

Re: Maxamet?

Post by Kalaeb »

Does not look like the best steel for kitchen knives. Loads of cobalt, Chromium and tungsten. Probably not the keenest edge and likely not fun to sharpen. According to Z, issues with warping.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

Not enough chromium to be stainless, and in the kitchen you're not cutting tons of cardboard or sisal rope, so why do you need all those tungsten and vanadium carbides? Not useful, especially with the difficulties in grinding out a knife with all those W and V carbides in there.
RonAZ

Post by RonAZ »

I use a couple of the Spyderco mules in Maxamet as steak knives because they work well on ceramic plates. Edge retention in those conditions is great but sharpening is a lot more difficult than W2.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

RonAZ wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:04 pm I use a couple of the Spyderco mules in Maxamet as steak knives because they work well on ceramic plates. Edge retention in those conditions is great but sharpening is a lot more difficult than W2.
Funny. That's what i use my mule for as well.
RonAZ

Post by RonAZ »

Just put wood handles on them and they work great and look good. Did you get the A11 ones that came out today?
Ron
stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby »

Food isn't what blunts knives, it's the nylon boards we're legally required to use that wears down edges.

Maxamet mule gets sharp enough to shave my face. It holds a working (kitchen prep) edge longer than anything else I've tried.

A chef knife is thin enough to be easy to sharpen no matter what the steel is. And hard to sharpen means hard to blunten.

As soon as the steel is available I'll get one made, if no one produces it first.