Yahiko vg10 210

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
Chefspence

Yahiko vg10 210

Post by Chefspence »

This knife looks pretty promising for a budget blade. Thinner than the Tojiro. Almost like the yahiko r2, but vg10 and had the price. A little short at the heel, but what a deal! Let's get some input on these ASAP
nevrknow

Re: Yahiko vg10 210

Post by nevrknow »

Bought the no handle version awhile back. Put a handle on it and gifted my daughter in Nashville, TN along with some sharpening stones. They love it. Easy for her to take care of and easy for my son-in-law to sharpen. ( Yes I'm luring him to the dark side :) )
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefspence wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:59 pm This knife looks pretty promising for a budget blade. Thinner than the Tojiro. Almost like the yahiko r2, but vg10 and had the price. A little short at the heel, but what a deal! Let's get some input on these ASAP
Like the R2 version the specs sheet is 100% identical to the Tojiro with the exception of the brand name. :lol: Even the cladding line on the R2 looks identical. What I care about is the savings that the Yahiko brings. :D
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

This brand has been putting out some stuff that looks promising at bare bones prices, yet I have not heard much buzz from users...
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:30 pm This brand has been putting out some stuff that looks promising at bare bones prices, yet I have not heard much buzz from users...
Yeah, I was thinking that too. Thing is, I have a Tojiro VG-10 and R2...Kind of hard to justify buying something so similar. I wonder if others are in a similar situation.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Kit Craft wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:32 pm
Chefspence wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:59 pm This knife looks pretty promising for a budget blade. Thinner than the Tojiro. Almost like the yahiko r2, but vg10 and had the price. A little short at the heel, but what a deal! Let's get some input on these ASAP
Like the R2 version the specs sheet is 100% identical to the Tojiro with the exception of the brand name. :lol: Even the cladding line on the R2 looks identical. What I care about is the savings that the Yahiko brings. :D
True. So my question then is, is the yahiko 210 thinner than the Tojiro dp 210. I'd go for the savings too, especially since they both have screened on kanji that disappears after a month anyways. You'll never know the difference in branding after that ;)
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefspence wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:51 pm
True. So my question then is, is the yahiko 210 thinner than the Tojiro dp 210. I'd go for the savings too, especially since they both have screened on kanji that disappears after a month anyways. You'll never know the difference in branding after that ;)
I have no idea but the specs of the R2 in Steve's video make them out to be identical or nearly so. I have no idea and while I find it curious I'd just go with the cheaper one. :lol: I mean, how can you go wrong at $60?
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Well, more gift options for friends :)
How do you think this fares compared to a 75$ FKM?
Probably the tip...
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Altadan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:11 pm Well, more gift options for friends :)
How do you think this fares compared to a 75$ FKM?
Probably the tip...
Yes, the profile is different. The pointier FKM would be better for trimming silver skin and portioning meat, imo. Other than that the steel is different too. AUS8 is much easier to sharpen and in this case is softer and more forgiving. It will have slightly less edge retention. If this knife is similar to the Tojiro the FKM will have poorer food release but will glide through product with less resistance. The FKM is asymmetric in grind and edge if that bothers you.

Again, if it is as similar to the Tojiro as it seems I would go with the FKM for a gift option due to the softer more forgiving steel. For myself I would still go with the FKM but only because of the profile. If the profile didn't matter I'd go with the Yahiko in this case. As I said, it is hard to go wrong for the price. We know Mark brings good knives to the table.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

From the choil shot it looks thinner... Im gonna get one for my sous chef and see what it does.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefcallari wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:19 pm

From the choil shot it looks thinner... Im gonna get one for my sous chef and see what it does.
idk, from a few comments by Mark and even the lack of in some cases I still think they are the same knife. Choil shots can be misleading. I could be 100% wrong, though. If it is that just makes the deal all the better.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Totally true. I've gotten knives that I thought the choil looked nothing like the picture. Even the slightest angle will change how it looks. Either way if the Tojiro is like the yahiko, the choil makes me think that the knife is an even better value. It looks just fine to me
HectorFuego

Post by HectorFuego »

I bought the Western handle version of this knife, as a gift. The factory edge on it was easily a 7 out of 10. Not sure how it will hold up over time, buy my initial impression was very positive......especially for the price. Note that it's only $15 more than the Tojiro color series 210 which is MVS mono-steel. So upgrading to a San-Mai blade with a VG-10 core for $15 is a no-brainer for me.

Howard