Takayuki Kengata bunkas

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
Chefspence

Takayuki Kengata bunkas

Post by Chefspence »

I'm more interested in the 190/202mm length bunka. They look beautiful. Seems to have a hard shoulder and thin grind. Reminds me of a Moritaka choil shot. Anyone ever used one?

Couple questions;
Is kanji embossed or screened?
What's the true length of the blade?
How's the performance?
Cutuu

Re: Takayuki Kengata bunkas

Post by Cutuu »

Reminds me also of a moritaka grind, with a kioshi look.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Cutuu wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:46 pm Reminds me also of a moritaka grind, with a kioshi look.
Exactly! Very curious.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I almost bought the 200, but it seems to have a slight curve throughout. May wait and watch on this one.
Jeffry B
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

Interesting knive? Looks almost looks like the Anyru AS knives that are sold on Japanny.com. I like the larger size and it seems almost like a gyuto tweener knive, but I’ve gone down the bunka road before and end up selling them because they really don’t do anything that a gyuto can do better.
Unfortunately, since it’s a Takayuki knife I won’t even consider it. Wish they would return to the 15 dollar ho wood/buffalo handles as well.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Chicagohawkie wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:34 am Interesting knive? Looks almost looks like the Anyru AS knives that are sold on Japanny.com. I like the larger size and it seems almost like a gyuto tweener knive, but I’ve gone down the bunka road before and end up selling them because they really don’t do anything that a gyuto can do better.
Unfortunately, since it’s a Takayuki knife I won’t even consider it. Wish they would return to the 15 dollar ho wood/buffalo handles as well.
Why dont u like takayukis?
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:47 am
Chicagohawkie wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:34 am Interesting knive? Looks almost looks like the Anyru AS knives that are sold on Japanny.com. I like the larger size and it seems almost like a gyuto tweener knive, but I’ve gone down the bunka road before and end up selling them because they really don’t do anything that a gyuto can do better.
Why dont u like takayukis?
Yes. Do tell.
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

It all stems from an event years ago when they were part of a housewares event in Chicago. Presented to big box retailers underspeced knives at huge margins. Business is business, but being passionate about J knives it didn’t resonate well with me. That’s the short story after a little Q and A I left shaking my head. They are pretty big in Japan and sell to anyone and everyone. To each their own, but I’m more into the handmade side of j knives and not so much the manufactured side of j knives.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Chicagohawkie wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:32 pm It all stems from an event years ago when they were part of a housewares event in Chicago. Presented to big box retailers underspeced knives at huge margins. Business is business, but being passionate about J knives it didn’t resonate well with me. That’s the short story after a little Q and A I left shaking my head. They are pretty big in Japan and sell to anyone and everyone. To each their own, but I’m more into the handmade side of j knives and not so much the manufactured side of j knives.
That makes sense. I believe you felt similiar about kikiuchi, because of same, perhaps similiar event. I will say my takayuki ginsan is an awesome knive that i feel is worth the cash, eventhough it wasn't inexpensive. Also the doi was full of craftsmanship, which was also a takayuki.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I get that. It's why even if their vg10 knives are decent I'll never get one because they're the same as a dozen other knives out there. This line does look a bit different though, and I do like the height and the "tweener" length. I also agree bough that I can probably do just as much with any of my 210's. I'm a sucker for the hammering :oops:
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:38 pm
Chicagohawkie wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:32 pm It all stems from an event years ago when they were part of a housewares event in Chicago. Presented to big box retailers underspeced knives at huge margins. Business is business, but being passionate about J knives it didn’t resonate well with me. That’s the short story after a little Q and A I left shaking my head. They are pretty big in Japan and sell to anyone and everyone. To each their own, but I’m more into the handmade side of j knives and not so much the manufactured side of j knives.
That makes sense. I believe you felt similiar about kikiuchi, because of same, perhaps similiar event. I will say my takayuki ginsan is an awesome knive that i feel is worth the cash, eventhough it wasn't inexpensive. Also the doi was full of craftsmanship, which was also a takayuki.

You know what, your memory is much better than mine! It was a kikiuchi event! For some reason I got the two mixed up! Too many Uchis ! So, I humbly retract that statement about not buying one. Thank you cuttuu for the correction. Shit, I wish there were more specs on this. If it had a decent distal taper and a thin tip I might have to give one a go. It’s one of the few knives that has caught my eye recently. I wish I knew who forged this...... it really looks like an Anyru blade to me.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Chicagohawkie wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:12 pm
Cutuu wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:38 pm

You know what, your memory is much better than mine! It was a kikiuchi event! For some reason I got the two mixed up! Too many Uchis ! So, I humbly retract that statement about not buying one. Thank you cuttuu for the correction. Shit, I wish there were more specs on this. If it had a decent distal taper and a thin tip I might have to give one a go. It’s one of the few knives that has caught my eye recently. I wish I knew who forged this...... it really looks like an Anyru blade to me.
Haha, thats funny. Good job, way to correct it. Takayuki is really big, so i could see you mixing it up.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

I really like the look of these, wouldn't mind either size either.. I might grab one if another deal I'm hoping for falls through.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I could see that point of view fitting Takayuki, too. Their lower end lines are very by the book products. The high end stuff, though, is remarkable. I want one of these. They look awesome.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Agreed. I'd absolutely get one of these, kinda hung up on whether it's actual kanji or screening though.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Chefspence wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:30 pm Agreed. I'd absolutely get one of these, kinda hung up on whether it's actual kanji or screening though.
Mark...tell us more :D
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I don't think you could screen anything onto kurouchi, particularly onto an interupted surface like this. I would be surprised if these weren't the typical style of chiseled kanji on the right with a stamped kanji on the left.
4k-nives

Post by 4k-nives »

If you want one with a custom handle
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4567
matt
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Lepus wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:53 pm I don't think you could screen anything onto kurouchi, particularly onto an interupted surface like this. I would be surprised if these weren't the typical style of chiseled kanji on the right with a stamped kanji on the left.
It's screened on the Makoto and it's a kurouchi finish.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:58 pm
Lepus wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:53 pm I don't think you could screen anything onto kurouchi, particularly onto an interupted surface like this. I would be surprised if these weren't the typical style of chiseled kanji on the right with a stamped kanji on the left.
It's screened on the Makoto and it's a kurouchi finish.

This looks more like laser engraving than screening unless I am mixing up my terms.