TAKAYUKI HOMURA BLUE #2 KOGETSU 240MM

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
Marc4pt0

TAKAYUKI HOMURA BLUE #2 KOGETSU 240MM

Post by Marc4pt0 »

Very curious about this knife. Butcher blade or gyuto?
I first saw it on Mark's IG posting. The angle of the pic made it look more gyuto-like, at least to me.
Then I saw another posting on IG showing 2 of these knives and it just made me more curious. Looked this knife up on the site and read the description which focused more on it being a knife for butchery. Plus the other photos seem to support this as well. However, when reviewing the specs, it's got my favorite sized gyuto written all over it- 236mm edge length and 55mm tall at heel? Come on! Perfect gyuto specs.

Also, the up swept tip profile, I'm really digging this style as of late. Especially on a gyuto. Recently got a Billipp gyuto with his current "euro" profile featuring an up swept tip fashion. I was a little sceptical about this at first, but have now come to love how it dices. So this one from Doi has really caught my eye.

Anyhow, just curious if anybody here has tried one out yet. Normally I just ask MarK himself, he's great at getting back with answers. This time however, I figured I'd ask the masses first to get various feedback possibly.

The sad thing is, there's just one left on the website. So I doubt it'll be there still once I finally decide to pull the trigger.
Marc4pt0

Re: TAKAYUKI HOMURA BLUE #2 KOGETSU 240MM

Post by Marc4pt0 »

Well it looks like this knife is now out of stock, which I'm more than ok with. I need another knife like I need another whole in me arse.
That said, I'd still like to hear some feedback from users!

Cheers
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

No experience with any Takayuki knives. Sorry. I havent bought a knife over 350 and kinda don't intend to unless I know it's "the one". Even then how many other great knives can you get for that price. Just my thoughts. Great look tho
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

Yeah, $599 is hard when it's unknown (to me). I'm not saying it's over priced, most likely it's priced well. Part of me wishes I pulled the trigger though.
HalfBloodHobbit

Post by HalfBloodHobbit »

Chefspence wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:25 pm No experience with any Takayuki knives. Sorry. I havent bought a knife over 350 and kinda don't intend to unless I know it's "the one". Even then how many other great knives can you get for that price. Just my thoughts. Great look tho
Sakai Takayuki is pretty much gold standard in grind, fit and finish; you have multiple master smiths there including Itsuo Doi and Kenichi Shiraki. I have a white #1 330mm Takobiki Honyaki from them and the mirror finish is perfect without a single lower grit scratch, the hamon is Perfect and the bevel is perfectly even. Even on their less expensive knives the attention to detail is all there.