Slack jawed.

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
nevrknow

Slack jawed.

Post by nevrknow »

This just made my jaw drop. I mean, really? Am I missing something? Talk about high end sharpening. Wow.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/nanllapl.html
Altadan

Re: Slack jawed.

Post by Altadan »

+1 on the jaw drop
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Interesting...founded by Harrelson. If the life expectancy is 5x greater, it makes sense....a one and done lapping plate. I just don't want to be the first to see how long it lasts.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

He really did put a lot of thought into those. It looks pretty ingenious.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Interesting but I am cheap so it ins't happening. That is almost a cheaper 210 honyaki or a hell of a Uchi. I have three plates now that should last my lifetime if alternated and if not there is always drywall screen. :D It sure is strange looking though! I am sure there will be those who love it.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

@chefknivestogo are you using one of these as a tester? Certainly makes sense for the volume guys
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:07 am @chefknivestogo are you using one of these as a tester? Certainly makes sense for the volume guys
Yes, that would be interesting to hear. If it can last say a decade in a pro setting I will consider it. :lol:
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Kit Craft wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:30 am
Kalaeb wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:07 am @chefknivestogo are you using one of these as a tester? Certainly makes sense for the volume guys
Yes, that would be interesting to hear. If it can last say a decade in a pro setting I will consider it. :lol:
This one looks the coolest, but even the lower cost options look interesting.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/nahonllapl.html
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:21 am
Kit Craft wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:30 am
This one looks the coolest, but even the lower cost options look interesting.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/nahonllapl.html
It does look interesting but even if the cheaper one lasted 5x as long as a CKTG plate it would be just worth the investment, maybe. The expensive one, not so much as it is 5x the cost of the cheap one. I get it, it is about efficiency, which is great for a pro but not so much for me as a home user. I mean, at the end of the day I can do the ABC method and it cost zero. I am not so particular about flattening to begin with. :oops:

Again, I still find them interesting.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I'm not as drawn by the durability as the design and how they look to lap. The results he gets in his video speak pretty well for themselves and the rationale behind the design sounds like it could contribute to easier lapping.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Lepus wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:52 am I'm not as drawn by the durability as the design and how they look to lap. The results he gets in his video speak pretty well for themselves and the rationale behind the design sounds like it could contribute to easier lapping.
Sure, a very comfortable 30-120 seconds. Flatten early, flatten often and worry less about comfort. :P
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

We're all a little different. It may not be the flattener for you, but I could be convinced. Sometimes I sharpen after a pretty labor intensive day out of necessity, not pleasure, so anything to make that easier would be nice.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Lepus wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:56 pm We're all a little different. It may not be the flattener for you, but I could be convinced. Sometimes I sharpen after a pretty labor intensive day out of necessity, not pleasure, so anything to make that easier would be nice.
Note the razz emoji. ;)
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Kit Craft wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:11 pm
Lepus wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:52 am I'm not as drawn by the durability as the design and how they look to lap. The results he gets in his video speak pretty well for themselves and the rationale behind the design sounds like it could contribute to easier lapping.
Sure, a very comfortable 30-120 seconds. Flatten early, flatten often and worry less about comfort. :P
My thoughts too. Why not just flatten a few quick times and be done? I would hate to think I had to flatten a ton of stones after an all day session. Sharpen, flatten Rinse and repeat. OFTEN.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

We're all a little different. It may not be the flattener for you, but I could be convinced. Sometimes I sharpen after a pretty labor intensive day out of necessity, not pleasure, so anything to make that easier would be nice.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

nevrknow wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:29 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:11 pm
My thoughts too. Why not just flatten a few quick times and be done? I would hate to think I had to flatten a ton of stones after an all day session. Sharpen, flatten Rinse and repeat. OFTEN.
Like I said, I try not to obsess over it but I would much rather sharpen and then flatten for 20-60 seconds than let it build up over weeks and months were I need some sort of monster flattening session. The idea of comfort or extra ease just does not enter my mind for a flattening stone so long as each stone is kept up with. I might feel differently if I had to flatten 20 stones a day 20 times each.

Regardless, if it were something I was doing hours on end (flattening not sharpening) I might be able to see it. For the average person it seems like mega overkill though. However, I suppose one might argue the same about a Honyaki or a nice Uchi but at least those bring a smile to my face. I guess if a flattening plate does that for someone, good for them but I don't see it. Again, I was just razzing a bit though.
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

Meh, seems over engineered. Any mention on warranty? If there was a lifetime warranty I could remotely see an interest. Until I see a bunch of Master Japanese sharpeners using these I’ll just continue to use what works for me and them..... an inexpensive flattening plate.
HalfBloodHobbit

Post by HalfBloodHobbit »

I already have the Shapton glass diamond lapping plate, I'd be a bit worried about this one being hard on stone corners when flattening.