Muneyoshi Nakiri

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
Lepus

Muneyoshi Nakiri

Post by Lepus »

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mubl2na16.html

Like Mr Ishikawa's work, this is certainly an interesting knife. The site's overview of the smith mentions the spine's forged in backbone, what a unique twist. The santoku looks a lot more by the book.
Altadan

Re: Muneyoshi Nakiri

Post by Altadan »

Agreed on the interesting. I'd love to see one of these go up on a passaround.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mr. Ishi's work was found to be "interesting" and a little on the steering side of things, no?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
J david

Post by J david »

I liked the Ishikawa santoku. It steered but I found technique could correct a lot of that. It did some things exceptionally well, but I can see how it's not for everyone. If he made a 180, I would have considered a purchase. 165 is just too short for me.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I am going to buy an Ishikawa at some point because his story is striking, but I don't like his santoku profile and $230 is more than I want to spend right now on the bunka as a project knife. I think a pointy little 180mm gyuto in that style could be great, like an upsized version of the Munetoshi 150mm yanagiba, which I use like it is a bigger knife.

Edit: Actually, looking over the Ishikawa offerings, that honesui might be the one. A little tall, but we can't always get what we want.

He still does not, I will point out, offer the crazy spine seen on that Mineyoshi.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Can't help but wonder what that backbone would do to, say... a tall cabbage. But interesting indeed!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld