Makoto Sakura SG2 Gyuto

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
mlb1988

Re: Makoto Sakura SG2 Gyuto

Post by mlb1988 »

Cutuu wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:51 am
mlb1988 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:02 pm I was hoping people would say more about this knife as I kept coming back to check this forum lol. I really would love to buy it but how good is it compared to Takamura, I know they're both think, and Takamura probably excel at R2, then again, Makoto was trained from one of the good black smith... I just don't wanna deal with the tragedy as I did with Shibata >.< definitely not a garlic crusher.
I'll be honest. If I was you, I would run from the makato sg2. I would not suggest you get it at all. Rock your shibata. I have not used the sg2, but it's clad and super thin. The specs and pics screams straight up laser. Instead, I would get the stainless clad w2 original makato that mark offered. That knife will give you some substance and the confidence, while still being able to enjoy the Smith that your interested in. You will be able to smash the s*** out of some garlic with it.
I have the Makoto W2 knife, I truly love it, fun knife but I hate when it loses its retention than what I am used to. I find Blue more balanced. Not as sharp as White but close, but not as fragile as white, good retention.
mlb1988

Post by mlb1988 »

Bensbites wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:17 pm
mlb1988 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:53 pm
salemj wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:05 pm

I'd guess the Takamura is going to be/feel at least as fragile, if not more so. The Takamura felt to me like a thin, clad, almost stamped knife, which means it felt quite flexible and quite bendable when you apply lateral forces. It was fine for cutting, of course: like a Takeda, as long as it's sharp, it doesn't flex in the cut at all.
I am thinking of buying Makoto's SG2 Bunka lol, but that 1.9mm spine is scary. . .
I have a feeling it would move in the classifieds if you didn’t like it.
What do you mean by that :o
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

Late to the comments- on choils I like the look of an arc when viewed from the side, Yuki, Kurosaki, Anryu all exhibit this, I find it a more pleasing look and comfortable when pinch gripping. Whether the final end of the arc is perpendicular to the board, positive, or negative seems less important to me and I have found no issues around slipping and possible cuts but I have mostly gyutos, May be more a concern on smaller knives. Konosuki seem to favor straight choil, as much as I like the GS I have it is falling out of favor with me and I may wind up selling it I find my Kurosaki r2 much more dramatic in terms of laser performance. I’m not a pro, home cook.

Actual steel densities should be indistinguishable in terms of blade weight.

Last point is hoping more non custom Makoto’s become available. I’m not into custom handles and seems like the stock ones sell out leaving only versions with custome handles. This seems to be a general trend on the site, may be a positive for some, not me.

Enough random comments for now
Paul
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

PaulME wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:46 am ...Last point is hoping more non custom Makoto’s become available. I’m not into custom handles and seems like the stock ones sell out leaving only versions with custom handles. This seems to be a general trend on the site, may be a positive for some, not me...
+1
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Leopang

Post by Leopang »

I agree with Mr. Jeff ^^
Edsonchen2

Post by Edsonchen2 »

It is Very thin for my thought