Makoto Sakura SG2 Gyuto

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
cwillett

Makoto Sakura SG2 Gyuto

Post by cwillett »

The kids went off to bed and I took some quiet time to prep two chickens and blanch a mess of mustard greens for tomorrow's dinner. Feeling pretty pleased with myself, I sat down to check the Classifieds section and after convincing myself that there was nothing I needed to try to buy, looked in the New Arrivals section. And then I saw this:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/masasg2wagy2.html

I'm due for another knife and was looking to get a thin, wa handle, ideally stainless scalpel type knife in 210mm flavor. The Yoshimi Kato SG2 line seems to have some issues with the cladding, and I'm just not ready to put down $350 for a Sukenari ZDP. If the Takamura R2 or Chromax came in wa handle I'd be done. The GS+ and MM Ginsan lines from Konosuke seem just fine. But not very exciting. I drive a 2002 Subaru and have enough "just fine" things in my life.

So, the Makoto looks really appealing! No thickness at choil is listed, but the choil shot looks like it is really thin. I like the handle as a complement to the hairline finish. Very excited about this knife and I think it might be a winner.
Jeff B

Re: Makoto Sakura SG2 Gyuto

Post by Jeff B »

I always like to know the spine thickness. It can only tell you so much but it is one piece of the puzzle that helps to assess a knife.
I think Makoto will be known for high performance knives with high thin grinds as his reputation continues to develop.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I too saw those yesterday. I have a thin 210 I was lucky enough to win. If this was a 240, i might have a harder choice. Then again I want everything makoto makes.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I agree with everything Jeff said. I too want to know the spine thickness and would like to know just how thin that knife is throughout. I have enough lasers as is but all it takes is a little rigidity to the spine to change my mind, lol.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

+1 Jeff,. These look like the should be some really, sweet lasers!
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I agree. I just finished writing it up, sans spine thickness, and it really pushed a lot of buttons for me. He really knows how to put a lovely profile on a knife. It sure looks pretty!
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

This may fall into my cart very soon. 😀
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I would love to see someone compare the AS and the SG2.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Three things:

1) Choil shots often suffer from too much light, including some of Mark's. In this case, my eye suggests that the choil was well-rounded and that part of the reason it looks so thin is that there is a bit too much light and it is creating a halo/pinhole affect around the sides of the choil, causing it to look even thinner than it is.

2) Despite the above, the WEiGHT is really telling! That knife has a hardwood handle AND a thicker tip and it is still INSANELY light. So many it is that thin...

3) Steels have different densities, right? I definitely feel like stainless steels with stainless claddings often have a lower density than some other steels. R2 has always felt like a low-density steel, and I remember finding the Takamura (for example) to feel a lot less dense on the board, in the hand, and in terms of flex, than my HD (which is one of the densest monosteels I've ever felt). SO, maybe that accounts for the weight..

Who knows!? All speculation on my part.

Is this really hammer "forged" in the sense that it is not a prelaminated sheet (I realize the definition of forged does not actually exclude this possibility)? Given that there is a propensity for steels like R2 to be bought prelaminated AND that the R2 knives by both Kurosakis appear to be their thinnest knives, I'm still curious if these are prelaminated billets that then receive a hammer treatment and heat treatment by the smith. This isn't meant as a criticism—I just remain very curious about it as a possibility/trend, especially given some of the things I've heard about other knives. I wonder if it is worth having a more precise definition or something, or if I'm just crazy. It is definitely something I plan to ask Kurosaki if I make it to Chicago (mainly, if they ever order billets prelaminated or not for any steels).
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Great conversation. This thing looks paper thin for quite some distance. The tip isn’t pointy which makes me wonder if the grind really is that high or maybe just no distal taper( which I would expect on a knife like this). Very nice looking knife. Wondering if the takamura r2 has some serious competition?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The more specs and pictures we can get greatly help in making an informed decision when purchasing online. Sure a picture can only tell you so much and may even be misleading sometimes but are still very useful. Pictures and specs, it's all we have to go on and the more supplied the better.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Steves videos help ALLOT too augmenting some of the exposure issues in still photos.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

gladius wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:51 pm Steves videos help ALLOT too augmenting some of the exposure issues in still photos.
Could not agree more. His videos have become invaluable!
enjay

Post by enjay »

Not this exact knife but Makoto's western SG2 210 has 1.9 - 2.0 spine, so I'd imagine this not too dissimilar?

Speaking of which, has anyone tried the western?

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/masg2gy21.html
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

One of the small things that caught my eye was the negatively curved choil. The classic choil (straight down) looks fine and works fine, the positively curved (swept forward) Masakage type looks nice and is comfortable until your finger slips forward and you get a knuckle cut (thank you very much Yuki), but this slightly swept back choil looks like it should give a little protection and look nice. Very exciting new knife and a pretty fantastic price point.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

cwillett wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:48 pm One of the small things that caught my eye was the negatively curved choil. The classic choil (straight down) looks fine and works fine, the positively curved (swept forward) Masakage type looks nice and is comfortable until your finger slips forward and you get a knuckle cut (thank you very much Yuki), but this slightly swept back choil looks like it should give a little protection and look nice. Very exciting new knife and a pretty fantastic price point.
This is something I think he picked up apprenticing with Kato. My Koishi is swept back like that as is my Makoto W#2.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Interesting, I find the swept back choil very comfy and have never cut slipped nor cut myself. Maybe in-hand work with a short petty?
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Eh, 1.9 on spine...I'm out. Why are all the super steels friggin lasers? Would love to see an pm steel some meat on the spine and a nice convex edge. Similar to Yoshikane but more distal taper, or Tanaka less the 500 dollar price tag lol.
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:15 am Interesting, I find the swept back choil very comfy and have never cut slipped nor cut myself. Maybe in-hand work with a short petty?
The Masakage Yuki has a forward swept choil. And it was a 150mm petty, so not much room for error.
enjay

Post by enjay »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 am Eh, 1.9 on spine...I'm out. Why are all the super steels friggin lasers? Would love to see an pm steel some meat on the spine and a nice convex edge. Similar to Yoshikane but more distal taper, or Tanaka less the 500 dollar price tag lol.
That's gotta be a material cost issue, no?