Yahiko ICE gyuto

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
jbart65

Re: Yahiko ICE gyuto

Post by jbart65 »

Dave, you wished you tried everything - just like me!

It's a superb knife, Spence, but I finally found a shortcoming.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6938
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I read that and kinda wish I didn’t. It’s funny how you can resonate with knives through other members before you use them. Like preferences I guess. I keep wanting to try that Tanaka sekiso...badly. I want whatever version you have though :lol:
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I actually sent my Sekiso on a passaround some time back, Spence. Surprisingly few participated. I got the sense a lot of people thought it was too cheap or just run of the mill to bother. Well, all three participants ended up buying one!

After mine got back, I gave it a full progression. I haven't done so since. It got the best edge yet and I only need to touch up on my Meara jnat every now and then.

My particular Sekiso has almost been a curse in some ways. I tried a Shig, a Kato and a Takayuki Damascus, all knives costing two to three times as much or more. My Sekiso easily outperformed all three. I started wondering, how good could those knives really be? They seemed quite overrated. Eventually I figured out that those knives really are excellent, it's just that I lucked out on my Tanaka. Evidently I am not the only one.

Unfortunately, it won't be leaving my house again. I just don't want to take a chance on it getting messed up.

The good news is, other people have also gotten really good versions. Tanaka's shop just makes outstanding knives. His ginsan line is as good as any you'll find in that steel. And his R2 knives are highly acclaimed. I might even get a 240 VG10 eventually after trying your 210.
Jeffry B