ITK Custom

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
Jeff B

ITK Custom

Post by Jeff B »

An ITK custom...now that's pushing it. :roll:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkwh2gy24.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Altadan

Re: ITK Custom

Post by Altadan »

Looks quite nice, actually, wouldn't you agree?
I've never had one, but worst-case scenario it's an adept's project-knife ;)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I like them well enough for what they are but not enough to put on a handle that cost twice as much as the knife (slight exaggeration). Then again, I don't think I'd do that with any knife. :P
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Kit Craft wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:42 pm I like them well enough for what they are but not enough to put on a handle that cost twice as much as the knife (slight exaggeration). Then again, I don't think I'd do that with any knife. :P
I completely understand where you are coming from. I have some clients who buy more for the visual, and less for performance.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Altadan wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 pm Looks quite nice, actually, wouldn't you agree?
...an adept's project-knife with an overly costly handle given the level of the knife. ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

This caught my attention, too. I have this odd feeling that the knife was hand-selected by Mark. He's been known to occasionally see a special gem in the rough and to pull it out for that reason. Obviously, these have a reputation for being quite reactive, but otherwise, they also have a reputation for performing well, so who knows.

I find it equally interesting that Mark seems to have converted every single Ho-handed Blue 2 MM into a custom. I was surprised to see these come in with Ho/magnolia handles (like some of the Ginsan did), and I was wondering if the lower price would boost sales and exposure, but it appears Mark thinks highly enough of the knife that he thought they all deserved new shoes. Haha.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

IDK, I like my ITK's but I don't feel strongly enough about them to drop about 2.5x for them. There is just a lot of competition in that price range. But that is just me. I am sure someone will love that knife.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:11 pm
Altadan wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 pm Looks quite nice, actually, wouldn't you agree?
...an adept's project-knife with an overly costly handle given the level of the knife. ;)
That's why it's for the adept - to re-shape, re-grind, re-what-ever-it-takes-to-raise-the-performance-to-match-the-handle... project knife :lol:
It'll either sell, or it won't, right?

edit: speaking of project knives, I've been oggling "old, unused" merchandise that comes with no handle and no... kanji. I've been thinking of getting a toy like that to play with, but then the question becomes a) how should I go about engraving (rotary, hammer+chisel), and b) what should I even put on a knife like that, hahaha
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Altadan wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:40 pm
Jeff B wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:11 pm
That's why it's for the adept - to re-shape, re-grind, re-what-ever-it-takes-to-raise-the-performance-to-match-the-handle... project knife :lol:

edit: speaking of project knives, I've been oggling "old, unused" merchandise that comes with no handle and no... kanji. I've been thinking of getting a toy like that to play with, but then the question becomes a) how should I go about engraving (rotary, hammer+chisel), and b) what should I even put on a knife like that, hahaha
There is a forum member here who does laser engraving. Look at the spoon thread, PM/email me if you need me to connect you two.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Bensbites wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:50 pm
Altadan wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:40 pm
Jeff B wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:11 pm ...an adept's project-knife with an overly costly handle given the level of the knife. ;)

There is a forum member here who does laser engraving. Look at the spoon thread, PM/email me if you need me to connect you two.
Oh yes, I saw that. Laser engraving.
Thanks for the tip :)
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

That ITK looked more refined than mine. Mine is a terrific cutter, but it didn’t look as nice as the custom one.
Jeffry B