Killer Petty?

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
salemj

Killer Petty?

Post by salemj »

This has got to be someone's killer petty: Hinoura, hammered, 200x40, probably a great "slicer" or mini-suji...

But it is listed as a gyuto!

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/hitaw2tsgy21.html
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
mauichef

Re: Killer Petty?

Post by mauichef »

Either way..it looks so nice especially with that killer Khii Studio handle.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

That looks like my kind of killer gyuto. Very similar to the old funayuki that used to be offered but was dropped before I decided to pick one up.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Lepus wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:42 pm That looks like my kind of killer gyuto. Very similar to the old funayuki that used to be offered but was dropped before I decided to pick one up.
I've noticed Bloodroot has started to market a specific "line knife" size which is different from "gyuto" or "chef's knife," regardless of length...and one telling feature is that they tend to be a bit shorter in length and height with pointier tips. This always makes me think of some of your preferences for more nimble gyutos, as well as NMiller's (his Takamura) for line duty. It also reminds me of how much more I read about people wanting prep knives rather than line knives.

To my eyes, it looks very similar to the old Tetsuhiro W#1. I can't remember if the smith of those was ever divulged, but the hammer pattern and grind are strikingly similar. That tortoise shell thing is unique—I've only seen it on 1-2 other knives of note, really. Jeffry's pictures are apt for comparison:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7155
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I don’t know how it’s a gyuto, it’s also pretty tall for a slicer. Very weird specs