Makoto Ryusei

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Makoto Ryusei

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:09 am
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:27 am
Jeff B wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:40 pm
Given the two examples listed it looks like the specs on the product page are wrong. It's beginning to look like the 240 is running 10mm shorter and 20-30g heavier than listed, this can be very significant to some. I wonder if the 210 listing is as far off.

I’m out so I can’t check my work so I’ll update the specs based on these.

I’ve got another 50 on order of the 240s. When I get them I’ll check again.
Thanks for the response Mark. I'm sure this is just a small oversight somewhere but a little clarification at some time would be nice. It only matters to me at this point because of the size of my collection now. Sometimes I'm looking for a knife with certain specs for what I want to try next. The confusion had me on the fence here because of the uncertainty of what I would be getting.

If it's not to much trouble, could you double check the length and weight of a 210. Would like to be sure if it is under or oversized too.
I double checked the 210s and put updated the specs for them.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
n64bomb

Post by n64bomb »

Very impressive ferrule and handle! Piece of art.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Thanks Mark, this is a line that I'm very interested in!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
zizirex

Post by zizirex »

Hi, I am wondering how is the grind compare to the SG2 version or Shibata AS 240? or to Takamura Migaki?
Is it Super Laser or better or more wedging?

Thank you
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The Ryusei is ground better than the SG2 I tried, but not as well as the Shibata AS. The Shibata is the best cutter I have ever used, period. And I've tried most lines of knives on CKTG.

The Takamura is more laserish than the Ryusei.
Jeffry B
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Looks and sounds like a great knife it was one that I was looking at before making a decision on a new knife for work.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I just picked up a 240 Ryusei. Guess CKTG's description of the knife as basically being the new Richmond/Kurosaki Laser caught my attention. I bought a Kurosaki laser a few years ago after the Richmond moniker was dropped. It was one of the best knives I've owned, but I sold it because it was quite similar in performance to my Masakage Koishi.

Wishing I hadn't sold it ... so I figured I'd give the Makoto Ryusei 240 a shot. The version I got is indeed very close to my old Kurosaki laser, and first impressions suggest it cuts just as well. Came extremely sharp out of the box and aced the onion test. Fit and finish is excellent. No ferrule gap with the handle and the blade is partly rounded. Thin coming out of the handle and thin at the edge. Tip is quite fluent.

If every 240 Ryusei is like that, I'd urge anyone to buy one, especially at $210. Nothing that costs $200 is steal, but damn that's a mighty fine price for stainless clad AS knife with laserish performance in middle horse size.

One caveat: I briefly owned a 210 version and was not quite as impressive. That was last year. The knife was still quite good, but the handle came loose within days and my Tanaka Nashiji 210 I bought at the same time was just a better performer overall.

The 240 Ryusei is every bit as good as my 240 Tanaka Nashiji, however. I might even like it better.
Jeffry B
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Jeffry, you're certainly back on the horse, eh?

I recently handled a Kurosaki Laser 210, and it was indeed a very nice knife, but I found that for my cuisine, with the many carrots and sweet pots, it was just not in its comfort zone, or, other blades I own just flowed more easily, and so the search for a 210 wife (& me) knife continued :)
Generally speaking, though, it was a real beaut. Could be treated almost like a stainless, yet it had a real live edge to it. Very light, nimble, and able. Flattish profile.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Carrots? Shibata AS is the best I've ever used. My Sekiso is close.

My Ryusei 240 breezed through carrots, btw. Some Takefu Village knives aren't great at carrots because of the midbump grinds, but my Makoto AS flowed through carrots quite easily.

Makoto's grinds tend to be a touch thinner and somewhat racier than his brother's. Still have to use it some more, though ...
Jeffry B
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

jbart65 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:51 pm Carrots? Shibata AS is the best I've ever used. My Sekiso is close.

My Ryusei 240 breezed through carrots, btw. Some Takefu Village knives aren't great at carrots because of the midbump grinds, but my Makoto AS flowed through carrots quite easily.

Makoto's grinds tend to be a touch thinner and somewhat racier than his brother's. Still have to use it some more, though ...
If it's anything like the Makoto SG2 Sakura, then I believe you. That thing was laser.
The Richmond did indeed have a wee bit shoulder - served it well for release though. Give and take ;)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Altadan wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:02 pm
jbart65 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:51 pm Carrots? Shibata AS is the best I've ever used. My Sekiso is close.

If it's anything like the Makoto SG2 Sakura, then I believe you. That thing was laser.
The Richmond did indeed have a wee bit shoulder - served it well for release though. Give and take ;)
The Shibata is a ... cut or two above the Sakura.

Btw, I have never used a 210 that handled carrots as easily as a 240.
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Altadan wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:34 pm Jeffry, you're certainly back on the horse, eh?
Not exactly, Dan. Seasonal thing. Summers I’m mostly outside away from computers and stuff. I’ve got a nice garden, outdoor deck, my kids are coming and going. Fall is calmer and I am inside more.

There’s always more to try, too! Waiting for a Kono SKD 240. Still want another Takayuki Damascus ginsan or a Saji ginsan. If a lighter Matsubara 240 ever shows up, I’ll get one of those. Probably give another HAP40 a shot. Sukenari AS hairline and Hinoura pique my interest.

My preferences are evolving. Moving away from 240 knives above 7 ounces except for my Sekiso, which wears its weight well. I like knives in the 6-7 ounce range, though I’ll always have room for a laser and a workhorse. I’d love to try more nakiri as well.

Good thing I don’t need a mountain bike! :o
Jeffry B