Possible Okeya passaround

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
pd7077

Re: Possible Okeya passaround

Post by pd7077 »

Jeff, PM incoming
--- Steve
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

One saya left of the six and it's Maple.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Shipped out all the sold sayas today for the 24mm Kogatana, they should arrive before the end of the week. Sent them in padded envelopes and by Pony Express to keep shipping cost down.

I still have the one in Maple left and will not list it in the classifieds until this pass around is nearly complete incase one of you decide you want it after seeing Jessie's.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

What a pile-up.... just got knives yesterday.... the kiridashi & saya are REALLY COOL! Would love one... but not in the spending mindset

Posted a few min ago in Yahiko white #2 passaround about 5 min ago:

“I don’t mean to get dramatic or sappy ....... but my 3yr old daughter had a seiszure (for the 1st time) last weekend and at the time she was completely unresponsive and breathing was sooo minimal that we could not tell at 530am, so we actually were terrified. I was honestly mortified that I may have just picked up my dead daughters lifeless body out o bed. Needless to say..... I’ve had a rough week..... not sure when the knife arrived but I’m getting around to using it this weekend

If you pray..... please keep my daughter in your prayers.... and if you don’t, just keep her in your thoughts & hope for the best”

Bear with me.... don’t know if I’ll have time to really try them out but I’ll get them sent to next person in line on Mon 6/25
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

No one will begrudge you the time you need. You will be in our thoughts and hopes.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Lepus wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:25 am No one will begrudge you the time you need. Whatever emotional support we can offer you have. I hope you find good luck and grace in the days ahead.
+1
I can't speak for others, but you can take whatever time you need as far as I'm concerned. I wish you and yours nothing but the best.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

CacahuateSommelier wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:59 pm What a pile-up.... just got knives yesterday.... the kiridashi & saya are REALLY COOL! Would love one... but not in the spending mindset

“I don’t mean to get dramatic or sappy ....... but my 3yr old daughter had a seiszure (for the 1st time) last weekend and at the time she was completely unresponsive and breathing was sooo minimal that we could not tell at 530am, so we actually were terrified. I was honestly mortified that I may have just picked up my dead daughters lifeless body out o bed. Needless to say..... I’ve had a rough week..... not sure when the knife arrived but I’m getting around to using it this weekend

If you pray..... please keep my daughter in your prayers.... and if you don’t, just keep her in your thoughts & hope for the best”

Bear with me.... don’t know if I’ll have time to really try them out but I’ll get them sent to next person in line on Mon 6/25
Thoughts and prayers for your Daughter, I hope it smooths out for you. You have your priorities straight, child before knives, no rush.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
slobound

Post by slobound »

I’m not on this pass around but wanted to say that I’m praying for your daughter and family 🙏🏼
-- Garrick
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

CacahuateSommelier wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:59 pm What a pile-up.... just got knives yesterday.... the kiridashi & saya are REALLY COOL! Would love one... but not in the spending mindset

If I’m not mistaken I think I’m next. If I am and the group is ok with it please take an extra week. My daughter turns 3 next month so I can only imagine how you felt. Please know she is with us in our thoughts and prayers. One parent to the next. Our children are why we do what we do at the end of the day.

-Cliff
-C-
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

cooknola wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:50 am

If I’m not mistaken I think I’m next. If I am and the group is ok with it please take an extra week. My daughter turns 3 next month so I can only imagine how you felt. Please know she is with us in our thoughts and prayers. One parent to the next. Our children are why we do what we do at the end of the day.

-Cliff

I sent CacahuateSommelier a PM, I don’t think it’ll be an issue.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Received the Okeya package today. Shipped with care and everything in great shape.

Will start playing with all five items.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Thanks for the update Ron.

Sean
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Okeya pass around thoughts.

Got a chance to play with these as I got to cook for 15 people twice this week. My house is the go to place for family get together.

One of these dinners was fajitas which allowed me to do a lot of cutting YEAH.

I measured each item except for thickness as I do not have a caliper.

What I got to play with.
Image, Image

First test was apple and then tomatoes. Only the santoku had a decent edge on it. The rest were smashing the tomato. I took all of them to the stones, santoku,folder and Kogatana got shapton 2k and 5k. The petty was really dull so it got shapton 320, 2k and 5k.

As expected the Kogatana got sharp the fastest as expected with white 2 steel. The petty took the most as it was the dullest. But all got pretty sharpe.

Okeya Santoku 165mm blue 2 https://www.chefknivestogo.com/okwh2sa16.html

weight 4.2 oz, total blade length 178mm, cutting edge 165 mm, height 46mm

Image tip high enough so was pretty good at rocking and chopping also.

Image tried to get a decent choil shot but was disappointed. Kuddos to all you guys who get these done right.

This was a fun knife to use and my favorite of the bunch. I was testing it along side by takamura https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura.html. Was very please on how well this cut compared to the takamura. The tak won overall but was surprised on how well it did. My son in law was very pleased so much so that I went to buy one for him but they are out of stock. Maybe I can get nakneker to sell me this one :D

Okeya folder blue 2 https://www.chefknivestogo.com/okfoko.html

weight 2.8 oz, total blade length 94mm, cutting edge 62 mm, height 31mm

Image Image

This thing is huge, not really pocket knife unless you had a holder for it on your belt. It was very well built and no movement once the blade was extended. I could see it as a good accessory for my shop. The only issue I had was the clip to release the blade was uncomfortable in the hand if you were pressing very hard on a cut. Image

Okeya Kogatana white 2 https://www.chefknivestogo.com/okeyakogatana.html
weight 2.6 oz, total blade length 183mm, cutting edge 55 mm, height 30mm
Boy this thing got sharp fast. Used it to cut a grapefruit into sections was awesome for this, but really can see much use for this in my house. But it was fun to play with. Cut a lot of string for a project my grand daughter had, using this versus my pocket knife.

Okeya Ko-Gunyaki ginsan https://www.chefknivestogo.com/okkofu12.html

weight 3.3oz, total blade length 162mm, cutting edge 150mm, height 34mm

Image Image

Was pretty disappointed in this knife or perhaps my knife skills. I could not get this to not steer when cutting anything dense. It did great on raw protein. Great job on silver skin removal. Not bad on peppers after it got sharpen but every thing else either steered or wedge. The grind on it was not high enough and a pretty pronounced shoulder on it. Was surprised that it was thicker then the longer sandoku.
Image .

Did not play much with the included kogatana and saya but it was pretty cool. Did not post any pictures as some great pictures were already posted in the tread.

My first pass around hope I did ok on it.

Thursday after the fourth will be headed for cooknola.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Great write up Ron! Thanks for sharing and I’m glad you took those to the stones. I tuned up the Santuko a bit when I sent them out but didn’t go crazy. I’m not great with single bevels and left them be. When the passaround completes you can buy the Santuko if you’d like. I bought it on sale so it’ll be a good deal. You did good!
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

nakneker wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:24 pm When the passaround completes you can buy the Santuko if you’d like. I bought it on sale so it’ll be a good deal. You did good!
Thanks 👍👍
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

They were shipped out yesterday to cooknola using usps. They were insured for $300 due to the extra Kogatana and saya included.

Hope we don’t get a problem like I read in another thread about usps losing items. I have the tracking info if needed.
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Ut_ron wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:35 pm They were shipped out yesterday to cooknola using usps. They were insured for $300 due to the extra Kogatana and saya included.

Hope we don’t get a problem like I read in another thread about usps losing items. I have the tracking info if needed.
I’ll be on the lookout. I happen to be off today. Surprisingly the mail around here doesn’t screw up very much. Looking forward to that petty though. Lol. Awesome review.
-C-
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Ut_ron wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:35 pm They were shipped out yesterday to cooknola using usps. They were insured for $300 due to the extra Kogatana and saya included.

If it’s insured they seem to lose very little compared to uninsured. Thanks for the update!
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Arrived yesterday. Gonna try and hit up the shrimp lot down here and get a whole fish to try the funayuki on.
-C-
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Will be trying to get them out today guys. Sorry for the delay I’ve been pulling crazy hours at the restaurant. Sadly didn’t get to put everything through its paces.
-C-