Black Lotus Knives

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Bob Z

Re: Black Lotus Knives

Post by Bob Z » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:16 pm

Got the knife last week and didn't get around to using it for a few days, but my first impression was; its heavy!

I have to agree with all that Bluenoser says though. The thicker spine cracked all of the harder ingredients, but the knife did well for softer stuff like onions, cabbage, lettuce etc, and I even managed to fine dice some garlic. Sadly i wished i could have seen the original finish from Steve but didnt want to scrub off the patina on it to see if that was still there. The patina had some interesting areas on it but lots of it was a dark pale yellow color not very attractive. The handle we perfect for size of the knife and well executed. If this were mine i would probably use it as a meat slicer also.

Bob Z

Post by Bob Z » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:28 pm

Looks like this one fell off the grid!

pd7077

Post by pd7077 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:21 am

The knife is currently with a Andreu. He was sick this past week, but he told me that he would be sending the knife out to Altadan today.

Jeff has been getting a bit adventurous as of late. He knows that I’m into kiridashi, and he wanted to try making one so I sent him photos and dimensions of my favorite Michio Tasai kiridashi. He forged it out of 1084/15N20 and W#2.

--- Steve

Altadan

Post by Altadan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:25 am

Adventurous you call that eh?
Darn, that looks so well done

nakneker

Post by nakneker » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:04 pm

pd7077 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:21 am
The knife is currently with a Andreu. He was sick this past week, but he told me that he would be sending the knife out to Altadan today.

Jeff has been getting a bit adventurous as of late. He knows that I’m into kiridashi, and he wanted to try making one so I sent him photos and dimensions of my favorite Michio Tasai kiridashi. He forged it out of 1084/15N20 and W#2.

Jeff is awesome, not scared to try anything and has some serious talent. After working with him on my 260 Gyuto and having it go as well as it did I hope to get more from Black Lotus. Maybe I need one of those too! He kicked some butt on that, simple knife, yes, but simple doesn’t always come out nice. That one did!
Last edited by nakneker on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm drooling over that kiradashi

Altadan

Post by Altadan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:05 pm

The gyuto arrived well packed and in good condition.

First impressions:
wow, what a behemoth! And what cool patina colors it wears :)
Handle is beautiful, and strangely fitting in size and proportions (nice work, Sean!)
Cuts a cucumber as well as any knife, but will crack even short carrots (I know, nothing new to contribute).

nakneker

Post by nakneker » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Altadan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:05 pm
The gyuto arrived well packed and in good condition.

First impressions:
wow, what a behemoth! And what cool patina colors it wears :)
Handle is beautiful, and strangely fitting in size and proportions (nice work, Sean!)
Cuts a cucumber as well as any knife, but will crack even short carrots (I know, nothing new to contribute).
Thanks Dan!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

Altadan

Post by Altadan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:47 pm

Second impressions:

This thing has a beautiful mirror finish under all that patina
the cladding line is gorgeous
The handle is the biggest I've ever held, but still - as mentioned before - strangely fitting this very, very chunky knife.
I kept thinking that CJM would do a great job thinning this thing... but then I recalled that this is the work of an American smith, so he could do it himself! haha
In my kitchen where carrots and sweeties are staple, this thing is just too big and too thick to be very useful or desirable :\ Please excuse me!
If it were mine, I'd say there was an amazing blade still hiding inside its wrought iron shell. It just needs to be coaxed out ;)

On a more positive note, I was making a gratin the other day, and while slicing them sweet potatoes was not much fun, I did discover that both on sweets and on golden potatoes, the very back part of the blade, near the heel, the knife had some great food release. I've a video of it, but I'll try to post that one later.

J david

Post by J david » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:55 pm

Looking forward to the video Dan. I always enjoy them.

pd7077

Post by pd7077 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:36 pm

I haven’t used the knife (I just polished her up and sent her to Sean for the handle), but the comments thus far are pretty much in line with what I expected based on the grind I saw. Most people tend to gravitate towards thinner, laserish grinds, but those that know me can attest to the fact that I love thicker workhorse grinds. The grind on this knife is thicker than what Jeff normally makes, but it’s pretty much in line with the specs that I asked him for. I agree with Dan that some minor tweaks would result in improved performance, but I’ve always had a preference for food release in spite of the hindered performance with denser ingredients. I have another knife on order with Jeff that will have his standard grind so I might end up doing another passaround with that knife so that some of the participants of this passaround can get a feel of what else Jeff can do.

Side note: I’ve been playing around with the kiridashi Jeff made for me, and I ended up etching it a bit so that I could get the Damascus to show on the bevel. I’ll get some pics up of it soon.
--- Steve

Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:42 pm

I’ll chime in here again on this one. Sean was gracious enough to send me his other Black Lotus to try after I was done with the passaround. This one has a pretty wild twisted Damascus cladding and is 257g and 257x53mm with Jeff’s “medium” grind. It behaves completely differently to the passaround blade and probably more in line with what I was expecting. It flies through carrots and dense veggies no problem. I don’t want to derail the passaround thread, I just thought it was worth mentioning now that I’ve used another BL. I was so impressed with both of these knives that I’m now on Jeff’s books for a knife now too, probably with a medium grind or something similar.
C440DC71-692F-45AA-9DB3-285B200DD4DD.jpeg
482F1B7F-3A8D-45A4-A1F6-FF10F105153E.jpeg