Low post count pass around.

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
TomCutlery

Re: Low post count pass around.

Post by TomCutlery »

Chefspence wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:18 pm
TomCutlery wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:31 am Hello, I realize I'm probably too new for this now, but would really be interested in this in the future, especially a wa style laser as I've never experienced either and would be a great opportunity to do so while also getting to share input with others on the same knife.
Yeah, stay interested and involved in the forum and you'll be in on the passarounds soon. Make sure to check often.
Ok thanks I will.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Ok I've got everyone's addresses thanks guys
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Here is the final order:
Me
Datster
David
Chris
Gastrognome

I should have the knife end of the week or the beginning of next week. Just to clarify instructions/courtesy rules, 7 days max until you pass it, you may sharpen if you want to try it out, have common courtesy in how you treat the knife, write a short review on the item page, write a review on the pass around thread for this knife, and have fun!
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

great thanks!
eyewanders

Post by eyewanders »

Just lurking and listening to the feedback as it rolls.
---Kevin
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Here's the QLV for our passaround...drool!
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshhasa16.html
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

Yeah I watched that as soon as I saw it posted. ;p
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

For some reason, that link goes to a different knife for me.

This one works for me.

Yup. Excited!
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

gastro gnome wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:46 pm For some reason, that link goes to a different knife for me.

This one works for me.

Yup. Excited!
You're right. Weird! I just copy and pasted it from Steves "around 40" videos. I'm going to do my best to keep the edge. I have a couple meals I'm planning around the knife to test it out but I promise not to beat it up too much. I may just strop it before I pass it on. I have to test it out on red cabbage for certain! My Kono GS didn't fare well with denser cabbage, so I'm hoping to get some different feedback from this laser. Stay tuned
snipes

Post by snipes »

I look forward to reading the thoughts / comments. Don't be shy. :) I have the 210 and use it all the freakin time.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Sorry for the delay in getting this out to the first participant. I ship it tomorrow.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

SteveG wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:12 pm Sorry for the delay in getting this out to the first participant. I ship it tomorrow.
Yay! Thanks Steve
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

I shipped the knife to Chefspence yesterday. He should have it Thursday or Friday.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Noted...canceling all weekend plans
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Received the knife this afternoon. The sharpening card from Alton is a cool touch. The edge seems pretty rockin. No time to play tonight, this weekend should be fun. Right away noticed amazing f&f, much more on the choil than my Kono GS was. More of a sturdy feel to it than expected, yet super light. The marbled buffalo horn ferrule is much bette looking in person. Very excited!!
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Alright guys. Last night with the knife and I just finished doing some home prep for multiple meals. Ready to send it off tomorrow.
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

I'll be following this; very cool thing to do. I'm one of those who purchased one of these. My first gyuto, I waited a good while for this blade; it fit my wants and needs perfectly, and I am more than satisfied with the f&f. I was somewhat surprised to see them hang around as long as they did. On a side note, when I ordered this knife by phone, I unwittingly dialed Mark's personal number listed in the contacts, rather than the sales number. It wasn't until later, when ordering another knife that I realized this. Mark personally handled my order, rather than redirecting me to sales. Nice touch. Nice way to run a business.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Hey guys, I was just reading through this thread and saw some questions about passaround etiquette. While I've only participated in a couple passarounds myself, I did want to point out that one of the things Mark always asks, is for the participants to leave a short review on the product page..

I think Mark is really generous in doing these passarounds for us & don't think it's a lot to ask.. I just thought I'd throw it out there since it can be really easy to forget or procrastinate writing a little review.

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:18 am .... Once you get it please feel free to use it, sharpen it etc. I also would like you to give a short review on the item page and please come back to this thread and tell us what you think. ... I don't care if you like it or not, just give us your opinion and have fun with it....

Besides that, I think it's mostly some common sense points of etiquette...
~ Be wary of rust formation,,.. wipe and dry often.
~ Leaving a patina is nice but if you get the beginnings of rust, by all means clean it off.
~ Use the knife as if it were your own. You shouldn't need to baby it too much, but certainly don't push it to/past it's limits.
~ Apply a light bit of tsubaki (or similar) oil to the blade during shipping.
~ Pass it on in a timely manner (usually 1 week).
~ Insure the knife for it's value during shipping.
..I'm not sure it this is a requirement but I've always paid the extra for a required signature upon delivery during shipping. (communicating w/ the recipient before you ship it is a good idea here, to make sure they can receive it, etc..)

@dAviD - - It seemed like you might have PM'd Mark regarding etiquette.. maybe you can share some Mark's response if he did.?
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

I just asked about here in the post and the basic stuff was covered.
(pretty much what you just posted)

I kinda figured most of it but i think it's nice when it's covered again.

I'm curious to see how I like this version of white #2, I've had a handful of white knives but the never really stuck around, fun to sharpen but edge retention in a busy kitchen is more important to me....plus I got spoiled on AS early on in my j knife journey.
I should be able to spend​ a shift messing around with it though depending on when it arrives in the week etc etc.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

STPepper9 wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 4:31 am Hey guys, I was just reading through this thread and saw some questions about passaround etiquette. While I've only participated in a couple passarounds myself, I did want to point out that one of the things Mark always asks, is for the participants to leave a short review on the product page..

I think Mark is really generous in doing these passarounds for us & don't think it's a lot to ask.. I just thought I'd throw it out there since it can be really easy to forget or procrastinate writing a little review.

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:18 am .... Once you get it please feel free to use it, sharpen it etc. I also would like you to give a short review on the item page and please come back to this thread and tell us what you think. ... I don't care if you like it or not, just give us your opinion and have fun with it....

Besides that, I think it's mostly some common sense points of etiquette...
~ Be wary of rust formation,,.. wipe and dry often.
~ Leaving a patina is nice but if you get the beginnings of rust, by all means clean it off.
~ Use the knife as if it were your own. You shouldn't need to baby it too much, but certainly don't push it to/past it's limits.
~ Apply a light bit of tsubaki (or similar) oil to the blade during shipping.
~ Pass it on in a timely manner (usually 1 week).
~ Insure the knife for it's value during shipping.
..I'm not sure it this is a requirement but I've always paid the extra for a required signature upon delivery during shipping. (communicating w/ the recipient before you ship it is a good idea here, to make sure they can receive it, etc..)

@dAviD - - It seemed like you might have PM'd Mark regarding etiquette.. maybe you can share some Mark's response if he did.?
Thanks for the extra insight on this. I really didn't know what all to say.