210 kohetsu blue 2 gyuto

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
jmcnelly85

210 kohetsu blue 2 gyuto

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I'm curious to see if there's interest in this, especially considering that I've essentially drilled this little soldier into the point where it's a creature hardly like the one I bought. I've used this guy on the line for probably two years now grabbing it primarily when I have that feeling like something terrible is about to happen and it's seen things most knives shouldn't. Fully booked, short staffed, weekend huge party, rib special, training new guys, and burger Sunday are all phrases that cross my mind when I pull it outta my roll. I've thinned it at least two or three times, tipped it at least once, flattened the profile slightly, ground a better distal taper, and spent a fair amount of time with a bastard file and sandpaper rounding out the wonky handle; however, this guy is one hell of a line knife. I don't want to let the list get too long, but I'm also unsure if anyone cares. Let's keep it open ended and go from there.
Nmiller21k

Re: 210 kohetsu blue 2 gyuto

Post by Nmiller21k »

These are nice little knives, my co worker picked one up... they're fantastic.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

This really would be a good one for chefs to try out, or honestly just buy outright. I have the 240mm and I've always enjoyed mine, too.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I would but I'm in on two going around now.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

In the spirit of open endedness, spence, once your times done with the other passarounds, feel free to message me if you still want a test drive at any point down the road. Nick, if you want to give this one a whirl and compare a heavily modded version to a new version could be fun. Lepus, thanks for chiming in, this really is a good line, they got some good press when they were new but lately they seem forgotten.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 1:44 pm In the spirit of open endedness, spence, once your times done with the other passarounds, feel free to message me if you still want a test drive at any point down the road. Nick, if you want to give this one a whirl and compare a heavily modded version to a new version could be fun. Lepus, thanks for chiming in, this really is a good line, they got some good press when they were new but lately they seem forgotten.
Absolutely. I'd still like to try as many knives as I can, and this is a line I've always looked at. Thanks man!
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Chefspence wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 5:04 pm
jmcnelly85 wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 1:44 pm In the spirit of open endedness, spence, once your times done with the other passarounds, feel free to message me if you still want a test drive at any point down the road. Nick, if you want to give this one a whirl and compare a heavily modded version to a new version could be fun. Lepus, thanks for chiming in, this really is a good line, they got some good press when they were new but lately they seem forgotten.
Absolutely. I'd still like to try as many knives as I can, and this is a line I've always looked at. Thanks man!
Ah f it, put me in :)
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

So far we got you, I'll leave this up for a little while longer to see if anyone else bites, if it's just a play date we can work around your passaround schedule so you don't get flooded with three knives in one week. I'm hoping you have fun.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 3:10 pm So far we got you, I'll leave this up for a little while longer to see if anyone else bites, if it's just a play date we can work around your passaround schedule so you don't get flooded with three knives in one week. I'm hoping you have fun.
:lol: thanks j.
bigwoolymammoth

Post by bigwoolymammoth »

I would like to try it out as I'm looking for a new line knife. Any idea how much time you have invested in the mods?
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

How much time is kinda tough, it's been a little here and little there. The profile tweak was probably 20 seconds with an atoma plate before a thinning session, I can thin a knife in less than an hour, 20 minutes of sandpapering, I probably spent under an hour on the handle but someone with more wood experience could probably do what I did in ten minutes, the distal taper was after I tipped it so I fixed the tip, thinned and focused more in tip area, I'm thinking less than an hour... all were just kind of done out of necessity (except the handle, that was for comfort). I only thin when cladding reaches the edge or damage may require thinning as part of the fix. Before I thin I think if what else I can do since I'm about to start a big project. Someone with a coarse stone and some know how could start to finish do everything in under two hours, someone with a shop full of goodies like grinders and buffers could probably do it in much less, but it's slowly happened over time keeping a knife I beat the piss out of alive.
bigwoolymammoth

That is a great amount of knowledge you just shared.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Still interested?
bigwoolymammoth

For sure.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I'll leave this open til Monday to see if there's any more interest and ship it out then, (I know what I'll be using on Mother's Day and then I'll put a fresh edge on) feel free to message me shipping info and let me know if the time works for you guys, I'm pretty flexible on when this'll all go down. Feel free to use it on the line, and don't be scared to get a little rough, just don't be a dick and open cans or something. Please insure at 100 and let me know when it's being sent and arrives, try your best to keep it 7-10 days and share some impressions good or bad. In the event of something bad happening, lemme know and we can go from there. If it's anything I can fix, don't feel bad, I like working on this guy.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

I actually read this thread when i first got on this forum a couple months back and was bummed because i wanted to get on it but was brand new. I was debating between this Kohetsu and the Kanehide lines.
I bought the Kohetsu based off of your rec... You cook, i cook...and we share the same name steve... I have to trust you! Lol
Glad i did. This thing is a beast... Just doesn't quit! Takes an edge with the best of them and holds it really well. A no bullshit line knife.

I actually bought it, and a couple weeks later chefspence let me in on a passaround with the Kanehide PS60. Another Awsome line knife... But let me know i made the best decision. Loved the PS60 but its really pretty... And im not. Id feel bad beating the piss out of it lol plus edge retention is big for me and the Kohetsu b 2 steel wins out.
Thanks for the rec.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I'm glad it's working out for you, it's a beastly little guy. Im Jeff, by the way, Stephen's jsg. Thanks for sticking around these parts, I think everyone wins when more pro's chime in.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Hahahahaha....shit sorry jeff.
Damn im sorry i confused you two.
Yea... Couldn't be happier with it.
And thanks... I like it here, I learn from these guys, and if my 2 cents helps even better. And its nice to get opinions from guys that go through the same grind as me.