Kurosaki Megumi vg10 240

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Chefspence

Re: Kurosaki Megumi vg10 240

Post by Chefspence »

Cutuu wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:56 pm This one is on its way to todd. I'll send tracking info soon. Thanks Spence!
Yes sir. Thanks for shipping it and keeping me updated. Been busy as shit lately, and losing track of where the knives are :?
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

The knife arrived to me safe and sound, although I may have to find another box for it, this one is getting pretty beat up. I'll let you guys know what my thoughts are in a few days when I have time to do some measurements and put it through some veg.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I always appreciate how careful the handlers are with the packages. I wish they could pay them enough to give a crap!! USPS has cheap boxes!! Have fun with the knife Todd
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Yeah that sucks about the box. I feel bad if it got messed up. I thought i packed it good and also had it marked fragile.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Cutuu wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:02 pm Yeah that sucks about the box. I feel bad if it got messed up. I thought i packed it good and also had it marked fragile.
Did you just throw it into the hurricane instead of your mailbox? :lol:
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Chefspence wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:51 am
Cutuu wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:02 pm Yeah that sucks about the box. I feel bad if it got messed up. I thought i packed it good and also had it marked fragile.
Did you just throw it into the hurricane instead of your mailbox? :lol:
Todo i don't think were in Kansas anymore
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

But in all seriousness, i packed it pretty much like the kurasaki laser i just got from cktg
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

It's all good. I'd be willing to bet Mark would give me one.
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

Knife is on it's way to Jbart as of the 27th. I apologize for the extra couple of days I had it ready to go friday and realized that I didn't have the address, so it had to wait over the weekend. It's probably for the best, it gave me some time to come up with a better packing scheme, with the box it was a little too large for the shipping scheme I have for my knives.

I really like this knife, there are some small fit and finish items that I take issue with but, they are really just cosmetic and have no bearing on the day to day use. For example, the blade is slightly out of alignment with the handle. And while we're on the handle, For the price range I would have liked to see a nicer piece of wood than what's on it However, having made dozens of hidden tang knives, I understand how difficult it is to get the handle lined up perfectly, especially when dealing with a long thin blade, even 1 degree off is still visible with a 10" blade.

My critique on the blade is overall good. The forge welding is solid and the grind is clean, as is the etch to bring out the layers. Aesthetically it is very pleasing, I would like to integrate hammer texturing like this into my own work. My only complaint is I would have liked to see either the grind pushed a higher to make it more laserish or more weight added to the top end to give it more power, that's probably more my preference though, as I prefer a heavy knife in the full size category.

At the end of the day, this is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship, and I think Spence got a killer deal, I would love to add one to my collection in the future.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Maybe you could buy it from me :lol: I totally agree on the higher grind. I honk that's why Steve thinned it a bit. Overall one of the best looking knives I've seen and the he hammering is definitely sexy. Don't know if I should sell it or keep it. Thanks Todd!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've got it now. Packaging was ... robust. And Todd put a much better edge on it than he led me to believe. Much better!
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

jbart65 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:33 pm I've got it now. Packaging was ... robust. And Todd put a much better edge on it than he led me to believe. Much better!
Awesome thanks for the update! Use the crap out of it :)
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I am ready to ship. I see that Gastro nome is next. Will try to get out today or Sat.
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

This one is on its way to Gastro. Should arrive Thursday.

As I already mentioned to Gastro, this Megumi is a bit of a wedge monster on stuff like carrots. It really does have to be thinned again. Spence, I might send it to Jason B or another pro sharpener to bring it back up to snuff. The knife would be worth it if it were properly thinned.

The edge itself is quite good. I touched up lightly on a 2000 Kohetsu and 6000 Suehiro Cerax. Got a tiny burr on the 2000 but it came off easily. Tried not to take off much metal. This one has been thru a few sharpenings and it's thickened up behind the edge.

I found the VG10 on both the Megumi and on Spence's Tanaka quite good. Shows what the steel can do in the hands of a good smith. I like ginsan better, but properly done VG10 takes a keen edge and might hold it a bit longer. Much better than I expected. I just might even pick up the Tanaka, though I am hard pressed to think it would outperform my Tanaka ... ginsan.

The Megumi shares characteristics of all the Takefu Village knives. Nice all round profile best suited for pushing. Decent flat spot in the rear. Good enough for occasional rocking. The tip is thinner than on Kuro's AS Laser, but is otherwise similar in performance. I'd liken it to the Shimo even more but the Shimo is thinner and lighter.

It's quite attractive too. Almost like there's bubbles on the surface and the damascus above the edge adds even more class.

Would I buy one? I am not sure. Of all the Takefu knives, my favs are the Koishi, Kuro Laser, Kanehiro AS/ginsan and Kuro R2 in that order. The Megumi is arguably the most attractive of all, for those who like this look, and it is stainless. The steel seems tougher than ginsan and the Megumi has good edge retention. Definitely worth considering ...

Thanks again for the play date, Spence!
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

No prob. Thanks for the review.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

After a brief USPS misadventure, the Megumi has arrived. It was expertly packed and in great shape. I'm looking forward to getting some time with it.

Initial impressions: fit and finish seem top-notch. This is the first hammered knife I've handled and it is a looker. There is a nice blade-forward balance to this knife. The edge is crisp (aces the newsprint test, and also scores well on the rolled-up paper towel test). Can't wait to get into some food.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Incidentally, is the Megumi the knife pictured at the top of the forum pages? It looks awfully similar.

Maybe this was covered elsewhere and I missed it.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

gastro gnome wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:10 pm Incidentally, is the Megumi the knife pictured at the top of the forum pages? It looks awfully similar.

Maybe this was covered elsewhere and I missed it.
It is. It's the 150 petty
Georgek

Post by Georgek »

Knife arrived yesterday. The package could easily survive even a nuclear blast!

Beatiful blade and handle too! It will be a fun weekend!
Thank you Spence for the playdate!
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

I aim to pack up knives well! I owe review/impression and will provide one in the next couple of days.