Kanehide ps60 210 western

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Chefspence

Re: Kanehide ps60 210 western

Post by Chefspence »

Nice. Give er hell!!!
datster

Post by datster »

Spence, on its way back to you, went out today. Its everything I expected, I have several Takamuras and I was told it was pretty close and it is. The PS60 was just as fun to use, effortless to use on veggies and boneless proteins. I used it but not near enough to run that blade down, just touched it up on a hard natural, it came right back to where it should be. Definitely a contender.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Got it back today. Looks about the same, better edge though. Thanks :) Since ive had this knife, I've tried several other 210 and realize I like a little more height. I have missed the knife though. I really do think this is a stellar candidate for a good all rounder. I've thought of selling to support my habit, but idk if I can. Thank you all for taking good care of it and getting it passed around in good time. Make sure to write a review here if you haven't and give a small review on the product page. I do the passarounds for you guys, but also for cktg so give them a review. Thanks
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Chefspence wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:44 pm Got it back today. Looks about the same, better edge though. Thanks :) Since ive had this knife, I've tried several other 210 and realize I like a little more height. I have missed the knife though. I really do think this is a stellar candidate for a good all rounder. I've thought of selling to support my habit, but idk if I can. Thank you all for taking good care of it and getting it passed around in good time. Make sure to write a review here if you haven't and give a small review on the product page. I do the passarounds for you guys, but also for cktg so give them a review. Thanks

Thank you for being so generous bro.
It was a pleasure and a honor.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Yeah buddy! Thanks for the reviews
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Sorry, I've been late to posting my thoughts.

I came very close to buying this knife (in the 240 version) as my very first J-knife from this site about a year ago. I decided I wanted to try a Wa handle, which is one of the reasons I didn't. Had I bought it, I would not have been disappointed one bit. In the 210 size, the word that kept coming to me was nifty. It was light and maneuverable and versatile as all get out. I'm a big farmer's market guy and had the knife for a week at the height of summer bounty. I'm sure I went through close to 10 lbs of vegetables during my time with it. In fact, I prepped two half sheet pans worth of ratatouille and both time and this knife flew by. That was partly because I was mildly intoxicated, but also spoke to how free and easy it felt using this knife. Fit and finish were very good and it just felt solid in my hand while still going through veg with ease.

It came with a very good edge from Chefcallari and it held up well so I had no need to touch it up. I know this amount of processing is barely a cigarette break's worth of prep in a restaurant kitchen, but I still get the sense the steel will hold up well through a shift there. I actually think this might be an ideal travel knife: stainless, short enough and with soft enough steel to deal with whatever board I might find in a friend's house, but with a good enough heat treat that it should stay sharp for a while. Soft produce with thick skins like tomatoes or eggplant? No problem. Dense vegetables like cabbage? right through (though you will probably have to halve or quarter a giant head before chopping). I had a really good experience with this knife and may yet snag one for my go-kit knife roll for cooking elsewhere.

Thanks for the opportunity to take it for a spin, Spence!
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Your welcome, thanks for your review!