PS60 PASSAROUND REVIEW

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Chefcallari

PS60 PASSAROUND REVIEW

Post by Chefcallari »

Good day everyone,

First off thank you spence for allowing me to make sweet sweet love to this killer knife!

I recently finished a pass around with chefspence on the Kanehide PS60 210 Gyuto.
This knife is a certified bad ass.... Nimble, thin, great cutter, tough, and low maintenance... Absolutely everything you could ask for in a line knife.
It just so happens that the PS60 was one of two knifes i was debating on buying for a line knife.
For those of you out there who may not know what i mean by a "line knife" it is simple... I need a war horse!
If you do a lot of volume in a restaurant (and funds allow) we like to have 2 main chef knifes... One for prep before service, and one during servive. While you want both knifes to be great cutters thats where the similarities end. A prep knife is generally big 240-270 and can be heavy or light depending on your preference, but has to excel at going through mountains of vegetables and herbs... While your line knife need to be compact, and tough because during service your cutting lots of cooked protiens which have crusty tops, and sometimes bones (rack of lamb) as well as crusty bread, flat breads, veg and anything else you might run out of and need on the fly.... All while going at break neck speed and with other guys around you who usually dont care what knife they pick up when they need it, or even bother to wipe it down when there done useing it. Needless to say the line knife will see some not so favorable conditions. So toughness is important.
She arrived in her original box stuffed with japanese newspaper... Nice touch spence lol
Immediately i said "DAMN" because while aesthetics arent something i look for in a line knife... This knife has got a pretty mouth boy! Shes gorgeous... Fit and finish, perfect. Not a rough spot anywhere. Handle is a red rosewood that looks dead sexy! Stupidly polished spine and the choil as well.
Picked her up... The feeling in one word... SOLID. This knife just feels solid. Not heavy at all, maybe 6 oz .. Which i find a perfect wieght... Just solid.
Then i sighted her down the choil..... Jesus christ shes thin! I have a Kohetsu HAP40 and she was damn near as thin as that! For such a solid feeling knife i was taken back by her thinness.
Spence said she needed to be sharpened. I checked the edge... Not bad at all. Had some teeth. A little rough but not bad. So first i did the paper towel test... Then stropped her on bare leather... Damn. She went from barely cutting through... To cutting through with hardly any skips... Awsome! If she strops like that cant wait to get her on the stones .
Put her on a king 1200... Pulled a burr in 2 passes.
Rika 5k... Bare leather strop...Aaaaaand done... That's it. Like 7 min seriously. Push cutting receipt paper. Ease of sharpening... Check.
To work... Used her all day the first day (for prep) to test edge retention. Awsome. Full day prep and servce .. no problem. End of the day could still cut paper. For a knife that is supposed to be basically AEBL.. It has much better edge retention. No chipping or rolling. Crusty steaks, baguettes, flat breads, onions, cremini mushrooms, scallions, tomatoes, 2 lbs of cilantro slaw on the fly... Flew through everything amazingly well. Like its a stupid good cutter. Almost no resistance cutting an oinion..
This knife cutts like a knife twice the price! Oh... And its fully stainless... Ease of maintenance..check.
All in all this knife is amazing... Just flat out awsome. Not as a bang for your buck knife. Just as an awsome knife...period. It would make a great prep or line knife.
Beautuful, superb f@f, feels amazing in the hand, sharpens stupid easy, keeps that edge through a long day, tough as nails, and maintenance free.
Absolutely everything you could want in a knife.
This knife came highly recommended by spence and i hop right on that wagon with him!
salemj

Re: PS60 PASSAROUND REVIEW

Post by salemj »

Enjoyed this. I feel like you are able to say more important things about this knife than a lot of other people because it is precisely the level of tool that you are used to using day in and day out. Serves the knife well.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Having this knife at home I can totally understand where your review is coming from even though I am not a pro. I have one of these for my wife and she loves it. Of course you know that because it is in my kitchen, I use it as well. In fact I cook most of the time so when I am feeling lazy I grab her knife, being stain resistant and all. Regardless, I give these out as gifts to family and they are well received there as well. My point, it seems to be a very solid knife that out flat works and is easy to maintain. From what you, and others say, it seems she doesn't care if she is in a pro or home kitchen.

Thanks for the write up, I enjoyed reading it.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Knife arrived safely today. Haven't used it yet, but looking forward to checking it out.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Kitcraft and salemj thanks for the kind words.
This was my first passaround and review so i wasnt sure if i did it justice lol
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:20 pm Having this knife at home I can totally understand where your review is coming from even though I am not a pro. I have one of these for my wife and she loves it. Of course you know that because it is in my kitchen, I use it as well. In fact I cook most of the time so when I am feeling lazy I grab her knife, being stain resistant and all. Regardless, I give these out as gifts to family and they are well received there as well. My point, it seems to be a very solid knife that out flat works and is easy to maintain. From what you, and others say, it seems she doesn't care if she is in a pro or home kitchen.

Thanks for the write up, I enjoyed reading it.
And +1 man... You nailed it on the head... Great line knife, great prep knife, great home knife... Just a great knife.