240mm Sukenari Ginsan

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
gastro gnome

240mm Sukenari Ginsan

Post by gastro gnome »

I polled the community and the community has spoken: I will offer for passaround my 240mm (really more like 230mm) Sukenari Ginsan for passaround.

This is a knife with semi-active home use but is basically still new. I just touched it up on a 6K, but that is the only stone it has seen so this is mostly a factory edge.

Rules:
1. Max of 7 participants. First come, first serve.
2. US residents only. I apologize to international residents out there, but I think this is more cost effective and simpler for participants.
3. Open to members with 50 posts or more. If you have fewer than 50 posts, but want to participate, PM me directly with your experience with Japanese knives and I will consider these on a case by case basis in the order they are received. Some others have been generous enough to let me participate in other passarounds where I did not meet the post minimum and I would like to extend the same courtesy.
4. Each participant will have 1 week with the knife.
5. You will be responsible for packaging and shipping to the next person on the list and insuring for the price I paid ($170).
6. Post or PM upon receipt of the knife and when you ship it to the next participant.
7. Feel free to sharpen or strop as needed, but please be courteous. The passaround knives I have handled have arrived with relatively fresh edges so I have not had to sharpen any of them. Had I done so, I would have used painter's tape or taken pains to avoid scratches and would try to stick to the current edge profile.
8. Post a review here (or in a dedicated thread) with your impressions. As Steve said in the other thread, he and Mark thought this knife would be more popular so I'm interested to hear what you think once you have had a chance to use it. Your feedback might help them if they consider future, similar offerings.

That's it! If you are interested, post here. Once the list is settled, I will confirm and put a request to PM me with shipping info. I will then try to arrange the order and post it here.

Thanks for being a great community and I am excited to share something of mine with you all.

Mike
Chefspence

Re: 240mm Sukenari Ginsan

Post by Chefspence »

Yes please :mrgreen:
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Count me in please :)
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

This knife is great. My cousin picked one up on close-out, and he leaves it at my place because he does more cooking here than at his house. I've been using it for prep all weekend, and it's fantastic! You guys will definitely enjoy this one.
--- Steve
J david

Post by J david »

I'm in.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

OK Chefspence, mauichef, pd7077, and J david are in. Please PM me your shipping info.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Id like in if there s still room
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Ramon, you are in. PM me your address.

Still spots for 2 more. If I have the addresses, I'll decide the order and get it to the post office tomorrow.
cjmeik

Post by cjmeik »

I'd love to try it. Thanks for your generosity and trust in your fellow knife nut!
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

GG, sorry for the confusion. No need to include me in the passaround. I've been test driving this same knife over the weekend (on loan from my cousin), and I've enjoyed the knife. I'm positive that the others will as well.
--- Steve
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

cjmeik wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:32 pm I'd love to try it. Thanks for your generosity and trust in your fellow knife nut!
You are in. PM me your info.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

pd7077 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:08 pm GG, sorry for the confusion. No need to include me in the passaround. I've been test driving this same knife over the weekend (on loan from my cousin), and I've enjoyed the knife. I'm positive that the others will as well.
My mistake. I read and summarized too quickly. Glad you have had a chance to try out and enjoy the knife.

With cjmelk, there are still 2 more spots open.
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

hi. can I hop in on this one? this is a very generous offer. thank you
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Igalor wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:54 am hi. can I hop in on this one? this is a very generous offer. thank you
OK Igalor is in. Please PM me your shipping info.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

The current roster is Chefspence, mauichef, J david, Cutuu, cjmeik, and Igalor.

I still need shipping info from @Chefspence, @cjmeik, and @Igalor before finalizing the order. It would be great if you can get that to me by today so I can mail this out.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

OK, I've got everyone's info.

The order will be:

1. mauichef
2. Igalor
3. Chefspence
4. Cutuu
5. cjmeik
6. J david

I will send the knife out today and will pass along the shipping info to each participant.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Received this afternoon. Nice knife. Feels like a workhorse. Can't wait to give it a whirl
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Is this passaround still open for a seventh man? ^_^
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Altadan, I had hoped to get this back by Thanksgiving, but since that isn't likely to happen, I think the passaround should still be open for a 7th man (or woman). However, I did already set the order by geography. PM me your shipping info and let me see if there is a good place to fit you in.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

OK Altadan, you are in at the end. I PM'd J david your info and you now have my address to send it home.

The new order is

1. mauichef (done)
2. Igalor (done)
3. Chefspence (current user)
4. Cutuu
5. cjmeik
6. J david
7. Altadan